188: Forbidden Love?

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
Barry White said:
Forbidden Love?

She's a Red Pyro. He's a Blu Spy. Theirs is a love that should never be - but Barry White sure is glad that it is.

Read Full Article
You lucky bastard

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
For some reason girls really love the Pyro, probably because he's the character that expresses himself through his actions, rather than words, like the really classic cartoons (Tom and Jerry spring to mind) where the only sound effects are done by an orchestra.

Oh hey look, I've gone all nostalgic again.

Aalynia

Feb 12, 2009
This is a great read and reminds me of why I, a girl, love gaming so much. It allows you to connect with someone in a way that reading a book or watching a movie doesn't permit. If my husband and I are both reading, we're not doing something together, it's individual. Gaming however, is something interactive--we quest together, kill together, and even sometimes give little gifts (I remember getting some vanity pets in WoW!). It's especially great when my husband is traveling for work. He brings his gaming laptop with him, and it's a way for us to connect while he's away.

I love gaming, and I love my husband for his gaming tendencies. I wouldn't have it any other way :-D

Aalynia

Feb 12, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
RAKtheUndead said:
You know, my problem isn't inhibitions about the juvenile activities that I do. I have no hang-ups with being a computer gamer at all. The problem is that I do computing activities which are far more mature - and far more obscure. There's nobody outside a computer-science context who wants to hear about 2,000-word essays on computer technology predictions. The same applies to my interests in automotive technology, aeronautics and spaceflight.

The juvenile activities are easy to justify. It's my interests in other things that are difficult to explain, particularly as I'm what you may consider "eccentric" anyway.
Are the more "eccentric" parts part of your career? Or areas of study for a career? If so, what's there to justify?
That's the problem. They're just hobbies, and when your hobbies include researching and writing essays on 1960s mainframe operating systems and examining the specifications pages in car magazines, what hope have you then?
Everyone has quirky hobbies. I personally study Arthurian Legend and medieval history. I'm a literature person. I just graduated with my undergrad and already have a Master's Thesis in mind. The thing is to find someone who balances your hobbies and loves. My husband is an Identity Management consultant who majored in IT at a polytech college. I taught him a love for literature and he taught me a love for PhP. :p

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I am all for "just be yourself". There is no point in hidding you are a gamer. Moreover, there is no reason. It's not an illness (definentaly not a contagious one, for better or for worse).

This approach allows me to enjoy my hobby, without any nagging from my wife. Moreover, although we haven't come to TF2 levels of acceptance yet, we can play an occasional multiplayer of Wii Mario Kart, GH or Peggle...

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
very interesting article, bit strange but a good read nonetheless.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Great article, made me feel all fuzzy.

I am really happy as I think I have met a girl very similar to said Pyro, she watches me play games and is always inquisitive and actually mentioned the other day that she wanted me to teach her how to play the guitar on Rock Band... Could be the start of something beautiful.

Remiel

Feb 23, 2009
Wow...that's creepy.
I'm in EXACTLY the same situation. I bought my girlfriend her first console to call her own (a PS3 because that's what she REALLY wanted so I didn't ask questions.)
I got her set up online, got her into a number of games and series I'm interested in that she wanted to get into (Like GTA, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and more)
She even bought a DS now too and started playing games like Final Fantasy and Pokemon.

In fact, this is SO close to the relationship I have with my girlfriend, that we play TF2. Only, I'm the pyro and SHE'S the spy. And it's actually insanely fun trying to kill each other the most. =P

Just thought it was interesting. But it's awesome to have someone you can relate to on a level like that. I mean, she was interested in gaming only mildly before, having played random stuff at friend's houses. But now she's a full-fledged gamer, telling me about her exploits in Half-Life or Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge (a game I haven't even touched.)
And now she's the one trying to get me to play HER games.

BloodyOne

Mar 23, 2009
So sweet. Points for being centered around TF2 and for the love.
I have about 15 girl friends, all of which I like, but there is no girl that I "Love." I am waiting to find Mrs. Right4Me.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Meh storys like this sound 1 in a million to me, but I live in a scummy area which shuns anything they deem not normal which doesn't help. I can genuinely count the amount of serious girl gamers I've encountered let alone talked to on 1 hand, makes me wonder why is the UK so different in that way x.x

Wolveria

Jul 7, 2009
Very sweet, I loved the article. :) I've always been a gamer, but didn't really get into Xbox or any type of shooter games until I met my boyfriend - we actually met through a game. He also introduced me to this site, which has been a blast. :D