188: Real Gamers, Real Relationships

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Real Gamers, Real Relationships

The staff of The Escapist, and their relationship partners, speak with Team Hollywood about the ups and downs of loving a gamer.

Read Full Article

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Oh, I loved what Alex said about romanticism and gamers. I've always tried to convince my friends of this, and have had some success.
Epic cuteness too. I loved this to the bottom of my lonely heart. <3

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, most of the gamers I've met CAN be romantic if they want, but they also can be some of the least romantic people I've met. On the other hand, you also get people like me that are so overly romantic that it's adverse to my health sometimes.

infinitysend

Mar 20, 2008
Heh, we got all those couples beat. My gf and I waited 8 long, grueling hours in 40 degree weather in line for the Wii. It was kinda obvious after that day that we were meant to be together.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I thought the guy at the beginning made a good point about gaming not being romantic in the same way as watching a film etc...though put it rather crudely :D

CirrusEpix

Feb 6, 2009
I think a fact that has been left out in this video, though interesting, is that all of the people interviewed were in relationships with other gamers (to varying extents). As a member of "Generation Atari" I never found my "holy grail gaming girl" but am still happily married to a non-gamer. For us, my gaming and the time I spend doing it is seen the same way her "reality tv time" is. 1 hour of entertainment in any form is equal to another.

Where we did hit problems is when I played a short stint of Warcraft. Games that kept me isolated for dozens of hours a week did not help our relationship. I would have liked to see this same interview with people in situations like me.

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
i do agree that gamers (depending on the genre you play most.) are more romantic then your average person. but we have a harder time expressing that or displaying it do to the way gamers are seen. I've found no luck displaying romance in a relationship with a woman,then again I've been dating all the wrong women

xLANKYx

Aug 1, 2008
im terrible at relationships, i dont do romance. but i think thats less to do with my 28 years of gameing & more to do with the fact im.......... emotionally underdeveloped shall we say (you cud say retarded aswell, i supose ;-)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm interested to see that gamer/gamer coupled do exist, I suspected they didn't. Sadly, girl-gamers are still rare to find, especially here in the England where gaming is still seen as a childish toy.

NiceGurl_14

Aug 14, 2008
As a heavy gamer myself, Finding someone who can be romantic and is a gamer has proved challenging but Here's hoping

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Hm, one of the women didn't seem happy with her boyfriend gaming....

There definitely still need to be more girls gaming and it's good to see evidence that gamers can be romantic - valentine's gift... "hmm.. sex?!"

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I think gamers that see video games as a place to help their creativity flourish can be very romantic indeed. Those gamers that use gaming to get away from real life on the other hand I don't think have a chance.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
kukuku ^^ said:
Hm, one of the women didn't seem happy with her boyfriend gaming....
I think you're talking about Kara, and it probably has something to do with the questions and answers that were picked. She plays WoW now (and works here, no less).

She's a convert though, not a native gamer ;)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think what this shows is that gamers should shack up with other gamers; not exclusively of course.

Both my wife & I play games and oftentimes the same games, though we usually have each other to thank: she got me into the Sims and I got her into GTA and neither of us thought we would like it as much as we do.

The benefit of dating another gamer is that when one of us gets a little addicted to a game, the other is a bit more understanding. This of course eventually leads to both of us wanting to play the same game (most recently Fallout 3) but I think our bickering over who's character gets loaded up is much lighter than the one sided addict arguments I've seen tear up a marriage. And yes I've known a woman who divorced her husband (of course she started by cheating on him first: with a friend of mine) because he gave his games more attention than her.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Gargh, these concepts of love and romance. They sicken me to the depths of my blackened soul.

On a side note, I like the variation we're getting with the Videos these days. Are issue-specific videos going to become a regular thing?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Singing Gremlin said:
On a side note, I like the variation we're getting with the Videos these days. Are issue-specific videos going to become a regular thing?
Probably more of an irregular thing for a while - kind of depends on the issue topic and whether people like them.