188: Romance on the High Seas

Murray Chu

Feb 9, 2009
Romance on the High Seas

Most MMOG players are familiar with the intricacies of online relationships, but one game stands out as a hotbed of virtual couples. Murray Chu explains Puzzle Pirates' amorous track record and what the game has meant for his offline relationship.

Read Full Article

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The real trick to any online gathering place is to get the women interested - once the women are there, the guys will soon follow, as long as there's something remotely interesting for them to get involved with. Most casual, puzzle-based sites have populations skewed in favor of females, just as less casual or combat-intensive games have more men playing.

It sounds as if there might be more single women playing PP, based on your anecdotal evidence, as compared to, say, most MMOs. I've run across quite a few women during my years of playing WoW, but almost all of them were playing with their husbands. I've yet to meet a married woman online that didn't have a husband that shared at least some of their online playtime, whereas I've met quite a few married men whose wives have no interest in the games they play.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Puzzle Pirates is probably my favourite MMOG overall, like Murray said, its full of fun without the grind, and free if your not picky.

jackiebrown22222

Jun 5, 2008
Those marriage stories were really inspiring and sweet. I remember playing Puzzle Pirates for a couple of hours, but I got bored of it. Maybe partly because I was in Middle School. This kind of makes me want to start playing again.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Ah Puzzle Pirates... so many memories, and all were good. I was never much of a social player, but I was an expert at many of the puzzles. In-game weddings astounded me and went way over my head. The ratio of male and female in the game are about even, and I don't know many other games where that is the case. It definitely has an appeal for both hardcore and casual players, it's basically as in depth as you want to make it. If I were to recommend an MMOG this would be my choice hands down, everyone should try it.

I'd still be playing to this day if I wasn't for what I call, eh-hem, "account difficulties" (though many of you may refer to it as "being banned"). Here's me before the unthinkable happened: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Mcknightt

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
AAWWW!

That is, I think, an appropriate response to this article.

Gaming is definitely becoming more of a social experience every year - so much so that playing by oneself seems almost outdated now. Who knows, maybe in a few years MMOs will be the only type of game there is.