Splinter Cell Voice Actor Doesn't Like Violence

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Splinter Cell Voice Actor Doesn't Like Violence

Michael Ironside [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ironside], famous to gamers as the voice of Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher, admitted last week that he's never actually liked the role because there's too much violence and only agreed to stick with it because Ubisoft kept throwing money at him.

One of my favorite moments in gaming came several years ago, not the result of some red-hot action sequence or great strategic victory, but through a brief conversation NSA agent Sam Fisher had with a fellow videogame character. "I'm going ask you some questions," Fisher said. "When I think you're lying, I'll do this." And then, to illustrate, he did that, making his unlucky adversary squeal like a stuck little piggy.

It was great stuff, thanks in no small part to Fisher's low, menacing growl, provided by Canadian actor Michael Ironside. He's made a Splinter Cell [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000461/] games that really rings a bell. Yet Ironside, a self-described "pacifist," claimed last week that after he signed the deal to do the first game - and his wife bought a new SUV with the money - he was "shocked" by the script and came dangerously close to turning it down.

"I didn't want to do it. It was too violent," he said. "I was ready to return the SUV and give the money back. I was as ignorant of games as you can be when I got that first script. I really did think it was like Pong [http://www.pong-story.com/]."

He said Splinter Cell: Double Agent [http://www.ubi.com] rolled around, he was just holding his nose and signing his checks. "I got sucked back in," he said. "They gave me too much money. How dare they?"

Ironside was interested in the upcoming Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Xbox-360/dp/B000SQ5LQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692917&sr=1-1], however, because it sees Fisher breaking away from the military organization he was previously beholden to. "Sam ended up representing a sociopathic and sometimes pathologically lying organization in the third and fourth games. It was sad. Sam was just sitting there thinking, 'I'm a gun in the hand of an irresponsible entity.' I didn't want to go any further with that," he said. "Now we're going to where he's going to try and hold those entities responsible for their actions."

I would guess that "holding them responsible" probably means a whole lot of doing this. Splinter Cell: Conviction is set for release on April 13 for the Xbox 360 and April 27 for the PC.

Source: CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/03/30/splinter-cell-ubisoft-michael-ironside.html]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Michael Ironside does not like violence?!?!

Splintercell was like pong?

Whats going on here?!?!?!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
"Enforced method acting", anyone? I can tell that Sam Fisher himself is not a big fan of violence either (as in: "i'm the best at what i do and what i do isn't nice").

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Having only ever played the first one YEARS ago, I had no idea that Michael Ironside played Sam Fisher. I might just have to buy into the series now.

"See you at the party, Fisher!" etc.

Also, it's quite odd how he's come out as against violence (albeit acted/CGI'd) when he is most familiar to film and videogame fans alike for his action roles. Do you think he objected as strongly to his mercy killing in Starship Troopers, or when BA defenestrated him in the A Team?

trueluigi7

Nov 22, 2009
Well this was very shocking to me but I am so happy he stayed on as the voice actor for Sam Fisher he is Perfect and I do mean Perfect. I hate violence too but it is still enjoyable to me if its only entertainment.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
This is kind of a sad article. Not because I don't agree about the violence thing, but because he abandoned his morals in the first place for money.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
Oh OK Michael, so violence in videogames is bad. But Starship Troopers was perfectly acceptable? I hate this double standard bullshit.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Ooooh, Ironside is the voice of Sam Fisher in the english version ? *insert girlish giggles here*
That guy is "pure win" (as the cool kids would say nowadays).

As for him not liking violence, that's strange considering he played so many violent roles ("Scanners" anyone ? Hell, even in "V", he played a dark character [however not physically violent, that was a family show after all]).

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I played the demo this morning. Its itresting. I still miss the light/noise meter from the orginals. Still playable, might get the full game.
Also, i love Fisher's voice, it matches the role perfectly. Im glad Unisoft kept throwing money at him.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
oppp7 said:
This is kind of a sad article. Not because I don't agree about the violence thing, but because he abandoned his morals in the first place for money.
Tons of people would, you can't hold it against the guy, if you had the option to collect 10,000 dollars for every kitten you kicked would you do it? Me personally: I'd go find a kitten litter for sale, buy them, and personally kick them all day.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can sort of understand his reluctance towards this. I'm somewhat of a pacifist. But when it comes to fictional violence, it's all for entertainment and drama.

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
...The Bastard thought SPLINTER CELL WOULD BE LIKE PONG!
Him being a Pacifist......yeah, i did not know that. Though his Ignorance of Games is all that angers me right now.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Well i'm glad he likes the new game AND he influenced the scripts. Thats an impressive dynamic.

PS: I'm conflicted, he didn't like the third and 4th games. That means he hated Double Agent like the rest of us, but he DIDN'T LIKE CHAOS THEORY!?

Oh well. I did think Sams complicity in the third game was odd considering what was going on and his reservations in the second. But the mans daughter DID just die.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Normalgamer said:
oppp7 said:
Tons of people would, you can't hold it against the guy, if you had the option to collect 10,000 dollars for every kitten you kicked would you do it? Me personally: I'd go find a kitten litter for sale, buy them, and personally kick them all day.
Well it depends, if you'd get the money for kicking virtual kittens: yeah I'd do it too. But not with real kittens.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
That's surprising...
Still, its good to see that Ironside is trying to stand by his... convictions.
http://ingresstech.com/~bernard/instantCSI/

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, goes to show...anyones moral can be bent if enough money can be thrown at a person. He cannot dislike it so much if he still did it despite the money

None the less, glad he did stay, good voice actor

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
He played Darkseid's voice, you know,
the villain on a superman cartoon who killed a major character on-screen... The villain who brainwashed Superman to fight against Earth on the show. Basically, ended up being by far the best villain on the show.
Yeah, that villain...

But it makes sense though, I mean, it is obvious that he supposedly hates violence no wonder he he is trying to find the anti-life equation! I never knew that the character on the cartoon was so multifaceted! =D

(obviously a joke post...)

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
He's like that Julie Peaschott fella, you know the one who's "categorileazy against violence" but have voice acted herself