Day-One Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Pack Buyers Receive Bonus

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Day-One Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Pack Buyers Receive Bonus

Microsoft is trying to make up for the troubles Xbox Live users had when Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692729&sr=1-1]'s latest DLC was released.

Do you love Modern Warfare 2 so much that you purchased the Stimulus Package [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99149-Modern-Warfare-2-Stimulus-Package-Details-Spawn] as soon as it was released? Bully for you, because Microsoft is giving all day-one purchasers of the map pack a free week of Xbox Live Gold. That's a 96 cent value, assuming you purchase your Xbox Live subscription in one-year increments.

Why is Microsoft being so generous? Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb told IGN [http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1081768p1.html] that the giveaway is to "thank buyers for their loyalty to Xbox Live" and has nothing to do with the issues reported on the service when the Stimulus Package was released. Some of the problems players reported were with matchmaking and map rendering (graphics).

The troubles have reportedly been fixed as of now. Modern Warfare 2's Stimulus Package was exclusive to Xbox Live on release, so Microsoft is obviously killing two birds with one stone here: give loyal Xbox 360 players a bonus, and alleviate the ire caused by the early issues. Even during a zombie apocalypse Modern Warfare players wouldn't give up on the game, so Microsoft definitely didn't have to do anything nice here. The fact that it did so quickly is pretty neat, though catering to arguably its largest and most hardcore audience isn't surprising.

Source: IGN [http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/108/1081768p1.html]

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
A whole damn week? 96 cents value?
How the hell does Microsoft stay in business, being so generous?
>.>
I've stopped playing MW2... I played a match the other day, but couldn't get back into it...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Damn... a 96 cent value! That is too good to pass up! That is a whole 6.4% of the cost of the map pack even!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Awesome! 96 cents! And all you had to do was buy a fifteen dollar map pack full of crap maps. Totally worth it.

Man... I'm normally not this mean... Oh well. That's nice of Microsoft, I guess... 92 cents is certainly a nice gesture.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow! Hold me back! A whole, week! Watch out they taken all the stps out here!

Well...I suppose better than nothing, but really...a week amounts to very little these days in anything...well, in terms of subscriptions anyway

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I find it interesting how almost everyone before me is complaining. Sure, it wasn't a lot, but at least there's something.
If this was any other game, nothing would have happened.
So get over it, and stop complaining for something that's free.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Nice to see that Microsoft are trying to patch things up when it was Activisions fault.

I thought it would be some kind of theme or something, then again I didnt buy the game and dont care.

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
To be FAIR thats one more week before your subscription runs out suddenly ( despite the many warnings you will no doubt ignore) and then a sullen march to the stores to fork out another forty to keep playing with your homies -_-

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Holy crap!
Let me put that into my calculator to see how much you'd save on the PS3...
*Returns two minutes later*
A whole £00.00, that's amazing!

But anyway, go them, it's nice of Microsoft to do that, though it isn't going to help many people really, considering most people still playing MW2 play it online mainly.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Activision and IW still disgust me. Haven't been a Live-user in a while 8apart from when I've been forced to use GFWL... DISGUSTING!).

At least this is something for someone.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I'm pretty sure everyone got free xbox live this weekend though...
Or is this in addition to that?

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Wow, bravo. *Claps hands*

That's definitely worth something that would have been free three years ago.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I saw that message in my inbox from Live. I was excited for a second and thought it was 400ms points and 3 months of Live for playing Xbox Originals online. But my hopes were dashed. Thinking on it, where the fuck are those messages??

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
As if this isn't to do with the problems they had with the map-pack. Have they done this for any other map-pack day-one buyers? Nothing for Halo? Their statement would be much more believable had they done this is the past.

If they have done this in the past, please correct me.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
The biggest entertainment launch of all time. A video game that now sits in the Guinness Book of World Records. Smash sales for DLC priced well too high.

And we get a whole week free. One. Whole. Week. Mustering enthusiasm for this "generous" act is going to take nothing short of an exorcism.