Someone Sent Us a Mysterious Package

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Someone Sent Us a Mysterious Package

Someone sent The Escapist a strange package containing a USB drive and a mystery.

You need look no further than our obsession with Professor Layton to know that we here at The Escapist love a good puzzle, so we were delightfully intrigued by the parcel with no return address that showed up this morning. It wasn't ticking, so clearly it hadn't come from one of you. We figured it was therefore safe to open and discovered that it contained a single item: a USB drive with a text file and an MP3.

The ReadMe document contained the following words: Cryptography, Isotope, Philanthropy, Hydrogen, Ember, Rebirth. It didn't take us long to realize that taking the first letter of each word spelled out "CIPHER," especially since whoever sent the package was nice enough to stack the words on top of each other.

The MP3 was more curious. It began with a man saying "What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine," a quote from Julius Caesar, and led into a woman reading off a series of seemingly random letters:

z z z

j n q r y d 3

f r p

I'll admit, this one had me stumped for a while, until I just threw everything I had into Google and hoped. What popped out was the Caesar Cipher, which works by shifting letters along the alphabet. It seemed obvious that the string of letters in the MP3 were a cryptogram of some sort, but what was throwing me was that triple-z. No word in the world has three letters in a row, so what could it be?

Just look up at the address bar in your browser and you'll figure it out.

Using that as the starting point, it was easy to figure out the rest of the web address: www.gknova6.com/. Once there, however, I wasn't given an answer, just an image of a TV set, more letters, and a quote from Francis Bacon.

At this point, I did what any annoyed puzzle-solver would do: I cheated and looked up the answer.

Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/05/arg-we-cant-believe-we-wasted-time-on-that/] did the legwork on the second half of the puzzle, which involves yet another cipher (the Bacon Cipher, as it turns out), and discovered that this entire production yields but three words: APRIL WEEK TWO.

So we'll get some kind of announcement about something this week (or next, depending on if the message refers to full weeks or not) and given the package's Maryland postmark, I'm guessing it'll be about Fallout New Vegas, but perhaps I'm wrong. According to MovieViral [http://www.movieviral.com/2010/04/05/gknova6-viral-site-for-unknown-game/], "high profile" Call of Duty fans got the package, as well, so perhaps this is all about some new first person shooter. (Which, ok, you could qualify Fallout as, but still.) MovieViral has plenty of other speculation, but I want to hear what you think.

Go to the website, put on your thinking and/or deer stalker cap, and give me your best guess as to what all this fuss is about.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Fallout seems like the best bet to me, given the looks of the picture. Also, using cryptic ciphers like that wouldn't exactly be out of place for an Obsidian game.

Wait, if it's Obsidian, and it's a cipher, could this be an Alpha Protocol stunt?

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
Ahem... Wooo! Bacon Cipher!

I watched the TV set thing, and the beginning of the video looked like it had the Infinity Ward logo in there... And then it looked like a video of mitosis, and then the page crashed... Oh well.

I'll watch again in a while.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I just checked the Bethesda Forums and when someone made a thread about this, a developer locked the thread saying it has nothing to do with their games. So my bet is on a new Call Of Duty game.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
High profile call of duty fans? Ahem are you familiar with the fans of the latest installment?

/trollin

In all seriousness, this is pretty interesting. I hope to god its Fallout NV related and nothing to even remotely do with CoD but then again.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
someboredguy said:
Maybe it could be a web address. The triple Z could be www. and the ending three letters could be .com.
Yep, you'd see that they got to that conclusion if you read the whole article. :)

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
I just checked the Bethesda Forums and when someone made a thread about this, a developer locked the thread saying it has nothing to do with their games. So my bet is on a new Call Of Duty game.
Interesting.

If it isn't Fallout, then a new CoD game could be a possibility (though it would seem out of place, unless Activision's gotten some crazy idea as of late...). Personally, though, I think that it could be Alpha Protocol.

Wait, maybe the Bethesda mod was just trying to but a cap on a leak? Highly unlikely, but who knows?

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
"Hey, remember what Valve did with those weird Morse Code things? Yeah, let's do that."

for real though, maybe it's some sort of remake of an old franchise?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
You need look no further than our obsession with Professor Layton to know that we here at The Escapist love a good puzzle, so we were delightfully intrigued by the parcel with no return address that showed up this morning. It wasn't ticking, so clearly it hadn't come from one of you. We figured it was therefore safe to open and discovered that it contained a single item: a USB drive with a text file and an MP3.
If it were from one of -us-, it -might- have been a pony... But I suppose we'll just have to keep all the poines for ourselves now, won't we?

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
LoopyDood said:
someboredguy said:
Maybe it could be a web address. The triple Z could be www. and the ending three letters could be .com.
Yep, you'd see that they got to that conclusion if you read the whole article. :)
Ah crap. Edited out my original post for mega-fail.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Nimbus said:
Susan Arendt said:
If it were from one of us it might have been a pony. But I suppose we'll just have to keep all the poines for ourselves now, won't we?
Preeeeeetty sure a pony wouldn't have come in a package this small. Neither would cookies.

Not that you've sent me any, mind.

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
locking a thread with an outright denial however is more interesting that saying maybe, however saying it has nothing to do with there games does leave the door open for it to be something to do with a game they have not yet made, anyone who goes to that sort of effort to make you work isn't going to admit it are they, at least I wouldn't I would create more puzzles for you to figure out. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Whoever sent that package, is now responsible for my new obsession.
Thanks mystery man/woman!

That said, it looks like a F:NV thing, because of the robotic voice, black and white TV and the style of the art.

Susan Arendt said:
Nimbus said:
If it were from one of us it might have been a pony. But I suppose we'll just have to keep all the poines for ourselves now, won't we?
Preeeeeetty sure a pony wouldn't have come in a package this small. Neither would cookies.

Not that you've sent me any, mind.
I send you cookies and ponies!
They just aren't always in one piece...

Sorry about getting the blood on your door.

Again.

I may add chickens to my repetoire too...

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
*sigh* So this mysterious package would turn out to be a mere marketing stunt, albeit clever? A pity, I was hoping for something more interesting :)

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Nimbus said:
Susan Arendt said:
If it were from one of -us-, it -might- have been a pony... But I suppose we'll just have to keep all the poines for ourselves now, won't we?
Keep the ponies.

After all, who says all bad things have to tick?

Jul 11, 2008
so theres absolutely nobody that thinks that this is to do with The Secret World. They did stuff like this just to announce the damn forums, it was how a lot of people even learnt that the game even exists.... so it might finally be out next week....

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
According to IGN the website is registered to activision and the clues point towards either Singularity or the new COD. I personally think the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of Singularity but if you wan't to find out more go to: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1081856p1.html

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Galad said:
*sigh* So this mysterious package would turn out to be a mere marketing stunt, albeit clever? A pity, I was hoping for something more interesting :)
Define "Interesting"...

So where are we at now? A new CoD? Or Singularity (There's a game that dropped off my radar quite a while ago...)?