Jake Gyllenhaal Isn't Really a Gamer, Loves the Prince Anyway

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jake Gyllenhaal Isn't Really a Gamer, Loves the Prince Anyway

Before stepping into the shoes of Prince Dastan in this May's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, actor Jake Gyllenjack's last Prince of Persia was the original 1989 game - he's not really a gamer these days.

It's no secret that on the whole, videogame movies tend to be pretty crappy - but if there's an upcoming movie based on a game that could potentially be good, it's Jerry Bruckheimer's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. It's starring a talented actor (Jake Gyllergorble), is directed by the guy who did Four Weddings and a Funeral [http://www.amazon.com/Donnie-Brasco-Special-Al-Pacino/dp/B00004XPPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278692235&sr=1-1], and has the full financial backing of Disney and Producer Jerry Bruckheimer - the same guys who turned a freakin' Disneyworld ride into a blockbuster motion picture. It's a recipe for success if ever there was one.

Last weekend at Wondercon in San Francisco, four of the key players involved in the film - Gyllenheimer, Bruckheimer, director Mike Newell and series creator Jordan Mechner - discussed the transition of Prince of Persia from rotoscoped, 40-pixel-high sprite to bare-chested movie star. "To go from that to Jake is pretty incredible," said Mechner.

As far as Jake Gargleblaster himself was concerned, he's not much of a gamer these days - though he does play the Wii in between set-ups on set, and has fond memories of games like Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario Bros. and the original Prince of Persia. In fact, he told Geeksugar [http://www.geeksugar.com/Jake-Gyllenhaal-Interview-Prince-Persia-WonderCon-7996425], part of what drew him to the role of Prince Dastan was the idea that it would be a chance to finally make a good movie based on a videogame.

"I also like the idea that it was based on a video game," said the actor. "I like to do things that people have tried their hand at and haven't succeeded. Maybe it's a riskier thing to do, but I like that. And I knew that there would be a huge audience of people that I would be trying to appease and that kinda turned me on too."

There's that, and he just plain liked the character of Prince Dastan. "I thought - at least as it was written - he was wry and funny and had a good time, but at the same time kicked some ass."

That he does, Jake. That he does.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is out at the end of May. To read more from the Wondercon panel, check out Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27962/Prince_of_Persias_Mechner_Not_Every_Video_Game_Should_Become_A_Movie.php].

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
I have never seen a word spelled incorrectly so many times to such a comical effect.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
So far, it looks like it's going to be really great. The trailers show tons of influence from the semi-recent Prince of Persia Trilogy.

Buut, it's probably better to assume it's going to be absolute shit. That way we'll find a decent surprise, not another godforsaken let-down.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Excuse me, but Mike Newell didn't direct Donnie Darko; I believe you'll find that was Richard Kelly.
Jake Gyllenhaal starred in it however, in the eponymous role.
But I can see where the confusion comes from, seeing as Newell was the director of Donnie Brasco.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LiquidGrape said:
Excuse me, but Mike Newell didn't direct Donnie Darko; I believe you'll find that was Richard Kelly.
Jake Gyllenhaal starred in it however, in the eponymous role.
Sorry, that was my mixup. Newell did "Donnie BRASCO."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I read more and more on this and my hops get higher. I just hope they wont end up been deflated!

I Really want this to succeed!

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
Heh... Gargleblaster....

Expect this to suck people. You're less likely to be disappointed that way.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
This sounds like it might break the trend for video game movies, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Well, they've already solved the biggest problem about game-to-film movies: They removed Uwe Boll from the equation.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Sorry, that was my mixup. Newell did "Donnie BRASCO."
Sorry for being the nitpick. The curse of an internet messerchmidt, y'know?

Anywho, I still think there's reasonable doubts to be had about this production.
One word.
Bruckheimer.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
As of now this is the only video game based movie that I actually have some hope for, the casting was pretty weird but hell if Jake can pull it off and make perhaps the first good video-game franchise movie then all the power to him. Right now its looking like Prince of Persia will be Disneys next Pirates of the Caribbean, I wouldn't be surprised if the Prince runs into Captain Jack Sparrow at some point in his trilogy (If they indeed have success)

Lupie

May 14, 2008
I absolutely expect this to suck. I also expect there to be Jake Gyllenhurf flapping about with knives and no shirt on. THIS IS A WIN CONDITION FOR ME.

Rachel Edidin

Oct 23, 2009
"And I knew that there would be a huge audience of people that I would be trying to appease and that kinda turned me on too."

This is both hilarious and awesome, and I think it just won me over to actually seeing the movie.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it. The first trailer made me want to strangle myself.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I actually look forward to this because I fail to see how this could suck. It's a pretty simple formula:
Funny prince + cool monsters + nice climbing-action = win

Of course I could raise my expectations to no end and want a movie that will totally change my view on the world and teach me important lessons in life... but I'm not that stupid.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This is the miscast of the century. David Belle should have been the prince and anyone who watches B13 will agree with me. BTW if you haven't seen B13 yet to yourself a favor, one of the best action movies in the last 10 years. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
It's interesting that Mechner wrote the screenplay; I don't think there's been a videogame movie where the series creator actually worked on it.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Please don't suck...
Please don't suck...
Please don't suck...

I still get Uwe Boll nightmares with him fucking up my favorite characters Freddy Krueger-style; I hope this doesn't turn out like every single other movie based on a game.