Sega: MadWorld and Wii Were a "Mismatch"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega: MadWorld and Wii Were a "Mismatch"

In yet another sign that Sega has settled on its decision to give up mature game development for the Wii, Sega West President Mike Hayes said the commercial failure of MadWorld [http://www.amazon.com/MadWorld-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0019SY1D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692011&sr=1-1] was due to a "mismatch" with Nintendo gamers.

probably [http://www.sega.com/]" done with making mature games for the Nintendo platform.

In a recent interview with Bayonetta [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239411], is on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, because those are the platforms of choice for the vast majority of mature gamers.

"Critically [MadWorld] got a lot of acclaim, but commercially it wasn't the success we wanted it to be. Clearly that was a mismatch with the Wii audience - particularly in terms of the amount of cross-ownership between Wii and the other home platforms. If you're going to play a mature-rated game, you're going to get your 360, PC or PS3 out to do so," he said.

"We were brave in that area - but the reality is, Platinum Games is such a cutting-edge developer they need the PS3 or 360 to realize what they actually want to do," he continued. "You saw that with Bayonetta [http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Xbox-360/dp/B001YI0Z2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692049&sr=1-1] - it was a very high-quality standard... Platinum are definitely more at home on those platforms."

Platinum Games is currently working on Vanquish [http://www.amazon.com/Vanquish-Playstation-3/dp/B003PHLT8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692069&sr=1-1], a third-person shooter person shooter for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 due out in late 2010.

Apr 28, 2008
huh. I actually enjoyed Madworld.

It was a fun little game.

Vanquish looks kinda neat though.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Damn that's a real shame. I guess that means I'm going to be even less likely to pick up my wii now. The big problem with mature games on the wii is they released too few over so much time. All you really see (besides the occasional gem like no more heroes or red steel 2)is just badly made kiddy game after badly made exercise programs. I bought the wii with high hopes that more mature things would come more quickly but I was sorely disappointed and I know many others were too.

There are less mature but still awesome games like tastunoko vs. capcom but I just don't feel like many gamers are really caring about the wii anymore so games like that can really make the profit it deserves. Nintendo went family friendly to the point where all I can see is a mostly family friendly console. Which is something I wouldn't waste time with.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
And the Stigma goes on and on.

It's disheartening to see someone drop the ball specially when it has some potential.
But there's one little question, The Conduit 2 will be developed by some other studio then?

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"We were brave in that area - but the reality is, Platinum Games is such a cutting-edge developer they need the PS3 or 360 to realize what they actually want to do," he continued. "You saw that with Bayonetta - it was a very high-quality standard... Platinum are definitely more at home on those platforms. [sub]- Mike Hayes[/sub]
I never realized that Professional Troller was a videogame industry position now. That quote is so full of bait you'd almost question on whether or not it's worth it to spend it all on catching the fish. I await the retraction from SEGA Japan. Crazy world we live in.

PTSpyder

Aug 9, 2008
Sad part was, everyone in the world perdicted this outcome, except for sega and nintendo.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I would say so...

Mature Gamers tend not to be interested in the Wii and by the same token Wii Gamers tend not to be interested in Mature Games.

Rosen2012

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not surprised. Mad World is a good game, and there are good games hidden with the Wii roster. The problem is they are SO hidden. Soon the Wii will be nothing but a third party casual dispensing machine.

With a couple of good Nintendo games.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I liked MadWorld, since all is in black and white, except for red and green blood, graphics look good and I found it very entertaining.

Never boring with arm mounted chainsaw and use enemies as fireworks.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
SavingPrincess said:
Andy Chalk said:
"We were brave in that area - but the reality is, Platinum Games is such a cutting-edge developer they need the PS3 or 360 to realize what they actually want to do," he continued. "You saw that with Bayonetta - it was a very high-quality standard... Platinum are definitely more at home on those platforms. [sub]- Mike Hayes[/sub]
I never realized that Professional Troller was a videogame industry position now. That quote is so full of bait you'd almost question on whether or not it's worth it to spend it all on catching the fish. I await the retraction from SEGA Japan. Crazy world we live in.
How is that a trolling statement at all? The Wii is mechanically the least powerful gaming console from a hardware perspective, and that reflects on the possibilities available to developers when it comes time to create games for it. Telling us the Wii isn't really powerful enough to run the sort of games a studio wants to make isn't casting unwarranted aspersions upon the honor of the little platform that could, it's just spelling out the facts. Wiis aren't particularly powerful, and Platinum Games wants to make titles that require more oomph than the Wii can provide.

If this comes across as a something a Troll would say, I posit that you're looking at it from the perspective of an irrational fanboy. I suppose it's trolling to point out that the PS3 has a Blue-ray drive and the X-Box 360 doesn't? Are the (absolutely retarded) console wars so deeply ingrained in gamer culture that a simple statement of facts can be perceived as trolling now? Egad.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Game companies being obvious.

I'm not all that surprised that they finally realised this, I mean, an 18-rated, splashily violent beat-em-up on the Wii? That's roughly similar to attempting to sell Gears of War on the Wii.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
SavingPrincess said:
Andy Chalk said:
How is that a trolling statement at all? The Wii is mechanically the least powerful gaming console from a hardware perspective, and that reflects on the possibilities available to developers when it comes time to create games for it. Telling us the Wii isn't really powerful enough to run the sort of games a studio wants to make isn't casting unwarranted aspersions upon the honor of the little platform that could, it's just spelling out the facts. Wiis aren't particularly powerful, and Platinum Games wants to make titles that require more oomph than the Wii can provide.

If this comes across as a something a Troll would say, I posit that you're looking at it from the perspective of an irrational fanboy. I suppose it's trolling to point out that the PS3 has a Blue-ray drive and the X-Box 360 doesn't? Are the (absolutely retarded) console wars so deeply ingrained in gamer culture that a simple statement of facts can be perceived as trolling now? Egad.
The wiis are more powerful than the ps2, and how many mature games are out for the PS2?

I bought MadWorld; I did my bit. I didn't particularly enjoy the game as much as others, but I really wanted to help further the so-called "Mature Gamer Presence" on the Wii. But do you recall ever seeing an ad for the game? On the tv, anywhere? I don't. These companies forget that not everyone is up-to-date with the game scene and if you want to sell the game, you need to tell people about it.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
It's predicable since if a platform isn't doing so well for a Wii game, chances are that they will pull the plug and have them work somewhere else.

Madworld is a good game.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:

If this comes across as a something a Troll would say, I posit that you're looking at it from the perspective of an irrational fanboy.
I don't even own a Wii, but thanks for playing.

This is a statement of a game producer that is trying to justify his studio's lackluster sales by blaming it on something other than poor marketing. Thanks for trying to insult me though... I always appreciate that. Let's get one thing clear, the only thing that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have over the Wii are higher res graphics and hard drives... neither are required for making a game fun or responsible for "limiting creativity."

You could make Final Fantasy XIII on the Wii if you significantly reduced the graphics... significantly; but the core game remains the same. This is just justification for poor sales and pinning the blame on people outside his department.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think it pretty much sums it up...Wii, not really best comnsole to target hardcore gamers on...is a shame.

I think Madworld had some good potential