Rumor: Live Support Coming to Solitaire and Minesweeper

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Live Support Coming to Solitaire and Minesweeper

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] is rumored to be adding Live functionality and Achievements to the free games that come with Windows: That's right, I'm talking about Solitaire, Minesweeper, Freecell and all the rest.

As far as I can tell, this is not a horribly late April Fool's joke: According to Games for Windows Live [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/06/rumor-microsoft-live-support-coming-to-free-windows-games/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29] treatment, including Achievements, online chat and leaderboards.

The idea, apparently, is to gently ease new PC owners and non-gamer types into Live by building it into the games that virtually everyone gets around to trying sooner or later. Register a free GFW Live account, start building a Gamerscore by playing Spider Solitaire, meet a few people online and blammo, you're hooked. So the theory goes, anyway, and it sounds pretty solid to me.

It's only a rumor at this point, but Joystiq claims that its source has a 100 percent accuracy rating thus far, with successful predictions including Tecmo Bowl: Throwback [http://store.steampowered.com/app/32410/]. True or not, Microsoft needs to do something if it wants to start building credibility for the piece of crap that is GFW Live; this would certainly be an interesting place to start.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
That sounds like a very good tactic. A lot of people who would not otherwise know/care about Live would see it and look it up. I can imagine a lot of parents getting signing up considering how much my mum plays solitaire.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Does this mean we'll be able to play multiplayer Solitaire over Live?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Woah Andy...calm down...GFW:Live isn't THAT bad, at least it's functional

Feb 13, 2008
Jamash said:
I see what you did there.

Seriously though...are we going to have Minesweeper Championships next? How about Marbles online? or Kerbie-3d? Or Quake Kiss-chase?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
It sounds cool, but just one thing:

Leaderboards? For Solitaire?! How is such a thing necessary? I mean, I can see the appeal for Minesweeper, sure, bur Solitaire?

Jamash said:
...multiplayer Solitaire...
Paradox...sensors...tingling...*boom*

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
No, but really. Microsoft are getting too clever for their own good. Let's go John Connor on them before their systems become self aware.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
That is a rather clever way for them to promote it, and it might even work. It'd be nice if they made it actually good first, though. I know people who don't mind it, and I know people who passionately hate it, but I haven't run into very many who actually like it.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Sure, as long as it works *cough cough broken Tinker achievement cough*.

I'll bet they could hook some more casual gamers if they tied in the MSN Gaming Zone. Last time I looked, that even had achievements already (or trophies or awards or some similar such stuff).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Aeshi said:
How redundant can you get?
Apparatly it looks like we may have hit the bottom of the barrel, heh...I never thought I woukld see the day

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I do have to admit, this has the hallmarks of Microsoft getting desperate. It's also sounds legally dodgy, and may land them in the anti-competition lava bath again. Especially if they demand a Live account and a download of their client before play.

Bet you it only applies from Vista onwards.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Jamash said:
I doubt they'll screw up that badly. I also wonder how easy it will be to find a match online.

It's a simple, solid marketing strategy, but I'm much more amused by it than I should. Damn internet has rotted my brain!

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Megacherv said:
Woah Andy...calm down...GFW:Live isn't THAT bad, at least it's functional
Compared to the likes of Steam it looks a lot worse than it might otherwise have seemed.

(Even though it seems Andy prefers playing Zynga on Facebook to playing games on Steam. :p)

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Pandora92 said:
Go Zynga? :p
Just my thought, just last week all were bashing zynga and they well known unethical strategies and now we have a real developer going on a similarly unethical procedure.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
Pandora92 said:
Go Zynga? :p
Just my thought, just last week all were bashing zynga and they well known unethical strategies and now we have a real developer going on a similarly unethical procedure.
It was actually more meant as a subtle dig at Andy, but I decided it was too low brow and trollish so I changed my mind and changed it, damn you for not refreshing. :mad:

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
For some reason, i have connection problems to live, so for me im voting against this IF i need to login to play it.