Doctor Who: The Adventures Games Playable in June

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Doctor Who: The Adventures Games Playable in June

The BBC has commissioned some heavy UK developers to make four interactive Doctor Who adventures which complement the new series.

Doctor Who was originally broadcast on the BBC in 1963 and ran for 26 years until the series was cancelled in 1989. The campy British sci-fi show was relaunched in 2005 under the guiding hand of writer Russell T Davies and has been running ever since. As part of the next season (or series as our English friends call it), the Charles Cecil [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100408_01/Doctor_Who_Adventure_Games_announced] (Broken Sword) and Sumo Digital, and which star the new Doctor, Matt Smith, and his companion Amy, played by Karen Gillan. The first of the four adventure game "episodes" will be available for download on Mac and PC this June.

"There aren't 13 episodes of Doctor Who this year," adds Piers Wenger, the executive producer Doctor Who, referring to the number of TV episodes in a British season. "There are 17 - four of which are interactive. Everything you see and experience within the game is part of the Doctor Who universe."

The dedication to how these "interactive episodes" fit in with the story is unique; as far as the BBC is concerned, they are canon Doctor Who. The writers are working on both the TV series and the videogames simultaneously with the new lead writer, Steven Moffat, being directly involved with the games as executive producer.

Other than the revelation that you assume control of the Doctor and Amy, it is unclear exactly how the games will be played. The fact that they are referred to as "adventure" games leads me to believe that they will be of the old-school point and click variety like Monkey Island or Sam & Max. Which would be awesome. The concept art definitely seems to have a whimsical, cartoony feel.

BBC promises more info is coming, including the titles of the episodes, so we'll have to wait and see.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
I think I just.... ermmm... did stuff in my boxers. haha.

I cannot wait for this, while I doubt it will be absolutely amazing, it will none the less be a Doctor Who game we have all yearned for. =D

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Oh yes! More Doctor Who related goodness! At least they have the actual script writers doing this, rather than some bloke who walked in and decided he can write.

Calumon: Doctor who?

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Sounds quite interesting and the screen shots I've seen don't actually look that bad. This is the only generation I've really sat and watched a whole episode without being bored, Except when Eccleston was doctor and I never grew up with Doctor who.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Catkid906 said:
Oh yes! More Doctor Who related goodness! At least they have the actual script writers doing this, rather than some bloke who walked in and decided he can write.

Calumon: Doctor who?
YES Calumon Doctor Who!

Also this game would be better if it was a different doctor I can't even look at the new one without being repulsed (he's not the best looking doctor thats for sure)

Feb 13, 2008
Campy? Only the best and longest running Television series in TEH WORLD!!!

Eat that, Star Truck!
Greg Tito said:
with the new lead writer,
and writing God
Steven Moffat, being directly involved with the games as executive producer.
As well as being executive producer of the show.

Why do all my Christmases come at once?

3_of_8

Mar 18, 2009
@Quiet Stranger: I beg your pardon? Matt Smith is absolutely brilliant as the Doctor. I was highly sceptical myself, but he convinced me within the first five minutes of "The Eleventh Hour".

Anyway, I really hope they offer these games for download outside of the UK, too. All the video content on the BBC's Doctor Who site is only for people inside the UK.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm surprised you weren't the first to post on this story, Root. =P

3_of_8 said:
Anyway, I really hope they offer these games for download outside of the UK, too. All the video content on the BBC's Doctor Who site is only for people inside the UK.
I dunno if they will due to the whole "Tax Payers Money" issue.

laryri

May 19, 2008
The graphics are odd. They aren't quite stylized, but not really realistic. Hope they aren't final because this sounds awesome.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
I blinked, and then had to re-reach the present. ;)
That joke is so delightfully[footnote]Painfully*[/footnote] lost on me! =D

Oh- something I just noticed- when did your title change from Time Lord to Wordsmith Extraordinaire? The old one seemed much more fitting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats awesome! They are incoprorating it too which is great too.

Cant wait to see how they will work out and all into it all...im a still a little dubious about the new doctor, but, uit has only been one episode

Woffles

Feb 23, 2010
Incorporating it with the series? Sign me up. While I haven't seen Eleventh Hour yet (actually haven't seen The End of Time yet either), I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Charles Cecil can write a decent adventure game, but my hopes of Telltale doing a Doctor Who adventure series are out the window now :(

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Heres my prediction that most the problems will be solved with "use sonic screwdriver".

It's the swiss army knife of poor writing, similar to the star trek tricorder thing. A tool that can do everything as long as you spout the necessary BS technobabble first, how convenient if you are a lazy writer for a scifi series.

I don't get the obsession with Dr Who myself. It grips others though, so whatever mows your lawn I guess.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am curious how this will integrate into the overall story arc. Meaning will you have to play the games to get the whole story to the season? That may alienate a lot of people. I know plenty of folk who love Doctor Who and are just not gamers.

Maybe the games will be their own story arc, or four one shot episodes... Either way will be interesting to see how it plays out.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
i like DR WHO but i can't see a game working. tv series can't be made into games, they just suck.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I found some of the Flash games done for the older series quite enjoyable. The Dalek escape one was fantastic, but some like SuDocWho where utter pants. Anyway I look forward to these, and the rest of the series.

Danny Ocean said:
I blinked, and then had to re-reach the present. ;)
Then you would have known beforehand. Ah Ha! I've foiled your clever rouse!