Molyneux: Fable 3 Has the "Greatest Cast Ever"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Molyneux: Fable 3 Has the "Greatest Cast Ever"

Fable [http://www.lionhead.com/fablegame/] designer and noted master of the understatement Peter Molyneux says Fable 3 will have "the greatest cast that any computer game has ever had."

Okay, let's be honest: Molyneux wouldn't know understatement if it hit him over the head with a dog. As famous as he is as a legendary videogame designer and producer, he's become almost as well known in recent years for promising gamers the moon but then never quite delivering. It's grown into kind of an endearing quality over the years and based on his recent comments about the upcoming Fable 3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77444], he's still got the touch.

Fable 3 will have "the greatest cast that any computer game has ever had," Molyneux told Jonathan Ross [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082282p1.html] have also joined the cast, Cleese as the player's butler and Ross in an unspecified role.

"How we're using these characters is very much dependent on how you play the game," he continued. "This is not like traditional dialogue - we went into a studio with John Cleese and I think he'd never done anything like this ever before, because we had to say 'if the player is like this, how are you going to react'. It was a very interesting process."

I've never been a big fan of using celebrities for voice work in videogames. For every Oblivion [http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Wallace_Breen] was great, but did anyone who played it not hear his voice and think, even for just a moment, "What's Captain Picard doing in Tamriel?"

Fable 3 is currently in development at Lionhead Studios for the Xbox 360 and is scheduled for release by the end of the year.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Bioware's games want to have a speach with you Molyneux. They also want to tell you that you're overhyping your game again.

Also, you can't have the greatest cast of voice actors because unfortunately Don LaFontaine is no longer with us.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
So far the only Celebrity that sold me on getting a game was Henry Rollins in Mace Griffin..and I never bothered finishing that.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
At first, I would have said he really needs to get his head out of his ass, but seeing John Cleese, Jonathan Ross AND Stephan Fry!!??

I might actually consider getting this game.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I find it highly unlikely, coming from anyone, thats just a baseless statement. VOice actors or whatver dont make a game better if the game itself isnt good.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Cleese, Ross and Fry?

Hell, I'm agreeing with the man for once.
That moon he keeps promising? I think we're getting it.

Hell, I can never concentrate on Little Big Planet because of Fry's hypnotic recitals...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I haven't seen Jonathan Ross do any good voice work. Sure he has a "funny" voice, but that doesn't make him a good voice artist. The best ones are those with some artistic range. Replace him with Christopher Lee (no matter what the role is), or Brian Blessed.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Even if we have a solid cast, it's more important on how you use them.

Please Mr Molyneux. That cast would be great in the storyline and not as an useless cameo.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I could care less about the cast if they tank game play like they did in 2.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Aptspire said:
John Cleese? Please let him use his wit!!!!!
It will be criminal if they dont! He is hilarious!

If he can put even a little of his comedy genuis in... =D

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Stephen Fry and John Cleese (No Firefox, it's Cleese, not Cheese), this game will at least Sound fantastic

Never really heard of this Jonathan fellow, of course any Johnathan that doesn't end a Coultan is a Mystery to me (Well, except for me Dad), but I shall give him the benefit of the doubt.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Random Bobcat said:
Delock said:
Bioware's games want to have a speach with you Molyneux. They also want to tell you that you're overhyping your game again.

Also, you can't have the greatest cast of voice actors because unfortunately Don LaFontaine is no longer with us.
I don't think BioWare are in any position to criticise someone for overhype - the flagrant arrogance of their pre-release campaign was uncanny

Aside: British household names for a British game can only reel individuals in - especially the harder to hit market "non-gamers".

He just better have the script to back up these "funny men"
I always thought Fable's dialogue was very well written.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Meh, Peter Molyneux, simply 'meh.'

Although I do love John Cleese and Stephen Fry.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
I haven't seen Jonathan Ross do any good voice work. Sure he has a "funny" voice, but that doesn't make him a good voice artist. The best ones are those with some artistic range. Replace him with Christopher Lee (no matter what the role is), or Brian Blessed.
Brian Blessed was pretty good in Viking: Battle for Asgard as shouty narrator voice, it would be a crime for the 'greatest cast ever' to miss him out. Then again, I'm sure Pete will eventually cast everyone in England for the game. I await his letter.