Kojima Defends Mountain of Peace Walker In-Game Advertisements

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kojima Defends Mountain of Peace Walker In-Game Advertisements

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76135] will include a large amount of in-game cross-promotion, but Hideo Kojima says this is just to keep things fresh.

At a Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker completion ceremony this week, Hideo Kojima not only detailed that he feels consoles are dying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99787-Hideo-Kojima-Believes-Consoles-are-Dying], but also a somewhat excessive amount of in-game promotion planned for the upcoming PSP game with multiple different brands of food, deodorant, and magazines. When taken to task for the product tie-ins, Kojima defended them saying they're different from what is being done in other games.

The promotions, detailed by Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/07/peace_walker_tieups/], involve many real world products from Japan. Mountain Dew and Pepsi cans are health recovery items in Peace Walker, and certain Metal Gear branded Mountain Dew cans from a convenience store chain will include a code that can be inputted into the game to give Snake a Mountain Dew t-shirt. Other retail chains in Japan will distribute codes for more unique shirts. Snake can also eat Doritos and apply Axe deodorant to raise his health, listen to Sony Walkmen from various eras, and many popular Japanese magazines are tied into Peace Walker as well. Metal Gear has featured real-world items such as iPods in the past, but this list is quite exhausting to say the least.

Due to a furor on Twitter, Kojima has defended the tie-ins, tweeting: "Regarding the collaborations, I have one reason for doing them. It's because I want to surprise the players. If the surprise and freshness were lost, I would stop the collaborations. It's different from Hollywood-style merchandising." Picking up Mountain Dew and wearing lime-green t-shirts to me feels different than pasting posters for products all over an in-game building, so Kojima may have somewhat of a point.

Metal Gear has always been a series marked by both very serious and very silly situations, and these in-game promotions certainly hit on the silly side. They're certainly better than equipping players with a Mountain Dew AK-47 or tasking them to take down a Metal Gear Rex painted like a giant Dorito. It is not yet known if Peace Walker will bring these in-game promotions to its releases outside of Japan.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/08/kojima_on_cross_promotions/]

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Hideo Kojima: Losing any and all relevance he ever had in gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It doesn't surprise me. The fact that you are defending them surprises me, Mr. Kojima.

Gaming's Most Blatant Product Placement [http://www.gamesradar.com/f/gamings-most-blatant-product-placement/a-20100408141937858023]

MGS is in the list more than anyone.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
If you really wanted to surprise us, Kojima, maybe you should've tried to be period-accurate.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Advertisement = suck

And advertising junk food and Axe is the height of suck. Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did. And Axe is just obnoxious and totally useless, I almost want to smell some just so I can pick the dumbasses out of the crowd.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did.
Since I find that really hard to believe, let me just say...

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Ridiculous. I can stomach adverts if it's stuff like billboards in racing games, but that's completely inappropriate.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
In-Game adverts are only acceptable if it fits the style of the game.. like store-fronts in a city or moutain dew t-shirts on teenage suburban teenagers, yes.. on snake.. NO!

Also, if they're going to get money by advertizing in the game then make the damn game cheaper or give free DLC or free subscriptions.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
*checks date* okay.

Anyway, I can't see this getting ot the 'states. I mean, shit, we already have uproars about bad, unhealthy food, surely GAINING HEALTH from pop will have dumbasses up at arms!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
AceDiamond said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Junk food kills more people and lowers the quality of life more than cigarettes ever did.
Since I find that really hard to believe, let me just say...
to help out the other user check teh obesity rates. now smoking rates. Now checkk the content of your fridge and the content of your fridge's content. At least smoking isn't in everything you eat. Have you ever looked at a vegan? NO acne! The clearest faced people dont' eat junk food. A pizza face is the greatest evidence that our food supply is complete shit.

LunarCircle

Nov 10, 2009
Nurb said:
In-Game adverts are only acceptable if it fits the style of the game.. like store-fronts in a city or moutain dew t-shirts on teenage suburban teenagers, yes.. on snake.. NO!

Also, if they're going to get money by advertizing in the game then make the damn game cheaper or give free DLC or free subscriptions.
I agree. The price of games should decrease to compensate for the advertising. Unfortunately, we all know that that will never happen.

It would definitely be a marketing point in getting gamers to get on board with in-game advertising. I believe it'll probably be like digital distribution. Companies stated that gamers would see a benefit of digital distribution in the form of lower game costs by taking out production and shipment costs. So far, that fact has yet to materialize.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Now all I can think about is snake snapping some soldiers neck in a mountain dew shirt.

"Enjoy its refreshing taste, IN HELL! *snaps neck*"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Irridium said:
With all the advertisements, I expect to see a Hello Kitty AK.

In STALKER Super mod Pack there is a hello kitty AK in game... I have it, it's very gay.

OT: Nothing could dampen my anticipation of MGS Peace Walker.
That is so...wow. Although I know one person who will love it XD

Really though, advertising in games is so tacky...

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Kelethor said:
Now all I can think about is snake snapping some soldiers neck in a mountain dew shirt.

"Enjoy its refreshing taste, IN HELL! *snaps neck*"
Now, I MUST get the Mountin Dew shirt, just so I can do that!

Damn you Kojima, bring the shirt here too! BRING THE SHIRT!

OT: Honestly, apart from the awesomeness of making product-related one-liners, I could care less. Unless it renders the game unplayable, then I would care.