Preview: Crysis 2 Blowing Up Consoles in New York City

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Preview: Crysis 2 Blowing Up Consoles in New York City

The creators of Crysis want to turn the sequel up to 11 by making the story mean more than just aliens and palm trees, and to reach more than just a PC audience.

Read Full Article

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
This has really taken my attention. I thought it might take the whole "genre was cool to begin with, let's milk it till it's dead!" approach. But this.. this seems different. And interesting.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
New York again, wonderful. Well, you better be fucking blowing up Lady Liberty or else I'll get to your HQ and set it on fire.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Well, I hope we get something other than pretty pictures this time. certainly rendering buildings should be easier on the hardware than all that foliage. Looking forward to this...

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Wow. I love post apocalyptic games and movies set in New York. This looks insane. The music was a nice tough too.

Apr 28, 2008
New York perfect?

HA!

Sorry, just found that funny.

OT: That looks pretty cool actually. Although I enjoyed the jungles of the first game.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I don't like the look of the new nano suit, its a dreamcast nano suit, you know how the DreamCast looked like a PSone that had been inflated.

I've heard Americans, especially New Yorkers, express this sentiment before, but Yerli himself is Turkish and he is the head of the biggest game studio in Europe. Most of the Crytek team, from the head writer to the art director, are not from the United States at all. To hear them discuss setting Crysis 2 in New York City, where I lived for ten years, as such an integral part of their design was heartening.

"It's possibly the most iconic city in the world," said lead writer Richard Morgan, who is British. "And not just for Americans. It's massively iconic for people everywhere. Everyone knows New York."
Marketing cynisism here, but if the game was set in Paris that exact same comment would have been made only with the words "iconic" swapped for "Historic". Although I would lap it still.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I'm not sure whether it slipped your mind, or you don't know, but that's by Frank Sinatra, Tito. I quite liked that version of it though, I must say.

...oh, yeah. And the trailer looked good too.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
I realy don't hope that bringing Crysis to consoles means I have to play with same shitty graphics as PS3 & Xbox360 has!

If console generation manages to kill the graphical advances for this engine aswell I'll go out on a personal rampage!

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I heard elsewhere that they mentioned they were taking storytelling cues from Valve's Half-life 2 and L4D, is there any truth to that statement or is it just hearsay?

Also, I loved the first crysis with a passion (Beyond just the graphics.) so this is absofuckinglutely awesome.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
KillerRabbit said:
I realy don't hope that bringing Crysis to consoles means I have to play with same shitty graphics as PS3 & Xbox360 has!
Pardon?
After watching the Cryengine 3 tech demo repeatedly, I don't think anyone can say this game or engine is being held back graphically by the consoles. It looks utterly phenomenal on all 3 platforms.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Well, at least it's coming on Xbox, my PC is stuttering like hell trying to run the original on low.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Gladion said:
New York again, wonderful. Well, you better be fucking blowing up Lady Liberty or else I'll get to your HQ and set it on fire.
Is this the kind of game where you can blow up anything?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The words that pop into my head when I read this are "lowest common denominator". It's like they are pandering to every single unthinking majority they can think of.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Asehujiko said:
The words that pop into my head when I read this are "lowest common denominator". It's like they are pandering to every single unthinking majority they can think of.
How does improved gameplay graphics and level design equate to lowered standards? Are you just mad they're bring it to consoles? Because technology can move laterally you know.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Fix the vehicle sections that is all i ask. From what i can tell from the trailer, this game is gonna be....fucking amazing. I want PS3 to be hurtin' trying to run this.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Hahaha I can wait to see how many xboxs they melt before they get the game to run right. I was able to run Crysis and Warhead on the highest setting. That was my proudest moment but I dont think my computer was ever the same after my hour excursions into that game.

OT: The setting is meh for me. I would be more interested in some originality in the game location. I mean no ones had a game set in Dublin that I know of. I would have a lot more fun blowing up aliens there than in post-apocalyptic new york.

Also, Ive been waiting to get upgrades for my PC and this is my perfect excuse. The trailer however I feel its unrealistic how badly the soldiers fared against the aliens. I'm pretty sure the NPC allies in Crysis did pretty well against them. Then again it was mor likely that that was due to the fact the protagonist was taking most of the hits.

Does anyone else think the new suit looks way too much like a gorilla?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
@ the trailer - Boy it sure is nice that the guy with a super advanced nano-armor just stands around while all those guys get slaughtered.