Hands on: SOCOM 4

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Hands on: SOCOM 4

The most important thing to understand about SOCOM 4's [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77283] Move-based controls is that I am terrible at shooting games, and using the Move made me suck less.

The core of the controls is the basic running and gunning, and I would say that is pretty intuitive. It's a simple point and click, with the gun's crosshairs following the Wand's position on the screen. The Move motion control analog stick controls the character's movement, and turning is handled by aiming towards the edge of the screen, which will cause your character to slowly turn in either direction. The trigger on the Wand controls firing, and it feels precise and natural. Taking cover, though, took some getting used to; SOCOM 4 is billed as a core shooting title so there is a bit of a learning curve. The fact that I was able to jump right in and gun down terrorists with little difficulty does speak to the ease of learning the basic controls, although the fact that the demo made me invincible probably didn't hurt, either.

SOCOM 4 follows the remains of a NATO squad in Southeast Asia after being decimated by a terrorist attack. The environment, at least in the level I played, was lovingly crafted to resemble that of an Asian village, with plenty of bamboo walls and jersey barriers to hide behind. Much of the cover is "soft," which means it will take damage from gunfire and will get blown to pieces if you use a grenade or call in an airstrike. Grenades are pretty intuitive: you enter the grenade mode with the push of a button and control the arc of the grenade with the Wand. Airstrikes are much the same but I could never remember the exact controls to initiate the mode, and having already gunned down every terrorist in sight I ended up trying them out on a poor, innocent jersey barrier.

You, the squad leader, can signal your squad forward or recall them with the use of the D-pad on the Move motion controller. It's pretty simple and intuitive, but I was usually too busy trying to load the terrorists with hot lead to notice, and the amount of terrorists who fell over before I had a chance to shoot at them indicated to me the squad was doing fine on its own. The AI is one of the major focuses of SOCOM 4, lead designer Travis Steiner said. Every time you load a level the enemy will act differently and often even spawn in dynamic locations, using cover and squad tactics against you and forcing you to react differently each time. It works pretty well, they'll actually attempt to run away from grenades and are pretty hard to hit when behind cover.

In addition to the basic squad controls, you also have the ability to enter a command mode where you can map out the squad's path like a football play, using the Wand to direct them in up to two squads and move them around buildings and into advantageous cover. Naturally, I didn't even touch this feature, but for someone who is actually good at these kinds of games it sounded pretty cool.

SOCOM 4 will still allow for the traditional dual-shock control scheme Steiner said. The demo, however, only had the Move. There's no official word on how the multiplayer will be handled, but the core Move-based gameplay is pretty solid, so those who have been looking for a realistic military shooter but can't play due to chronic bad-at-shooters, it's well worth a try. The Move works for SOCOM 4, and it's an interesting way to play the game.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
If this turns out as good as you've made it sound, then maybe Sony's Move will have a successful launch. It's all in the products. Although I'd probably get this regardless of whether it implemented Move.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
The Move motion control analog stick controls the character's movement, and turning is handled by aiming towards the edge of the screen, which will cause your character to slowly turn in either direction.
Ooo-err, doesn't sound good. Sounds just like how the Wii controls.

My question is how does it compare to mouse aim if you have any experience with that? And before you say mouse aim doesn't work with a third person perspective I point you to the very popular Max Payne 1 & 2 that were originally on PC plus Gears Of War was very well received on the PC.

I can appreciate how it is "easy to jump in" but military shooter in a long runnign franchise doesn't seem like something you need to be easy to jump into. Does it ave the depth to be BOTH fast and precise? What about fatigue for say a 3-4 hour uninterrupted gaming session.

However, it does sound better than the standard gamepad's dual-thumbstick and any improvement is better than no improvement.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Treblaine said:
Austin MacKenzie said:
The Move motion control analog stick controls the character's movement, and turning is handled by aiming towards the edge of the screen, which will cause your character to slowly turn in either direction.
Yeah that was my exact thought. We'll have to wait and see.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Adzma said:
Treblaine said:
Austin MacKenzie said:
Yeah that was my exact thought. We'll have to wait and see.
yeah, I was hoping it would be like mouse aim, like perspective and aim move one to one with the movement. Maybe you can fiddle with the settings to get that.

Though best of all... just allow mouse aim. Zipper would be teh awesome if they did that.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hmm...I still on the bench about it, but Socum 4 is looking better and better each time I hear more news about it.

Glad to see its a series that is sitll kicking about though

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
In terms of flailing, the Move and the Wii are fairly similar, but the Move is more responsive than the Wii-mote without the Motion Sensor Plus.

When I was talking to Steiner he mentioned part of the Move's control scheme is to make it appeal to the mouse and keyboard crowd, but I don't have much experience with PC shooters so I'm not sure how well it was replicated.

Apr 28, 2008
Hm. This combined with the embodiment of win known as Kevin Butler may push me enough to get it. Still need to see a bit more games with this though...

And for those who didn't see Kevin Butler's Move ad, here it is (it also shows Socom 4 being played a bit with Move):

Jaredin said:
Hmm...I still on the bench about it, but Socum 4 is looking better and better each time I hear more news about it.

Glad to see its a series that is sitll kicking about though
:p

/spelling nazi

Sep 14, 2009
woooh man i am freaking pumped for this game, about time zipper released this, hopefully it gets back to the core dynamics of what made socom 1 and 2 the classics they are

honestly i will try the move and see how it works, but more then likely i will stick with my controller, it is so comfortable and easy to use as it is and i use to put the hurt on in the older socoms so i dont see how this could affect it any differently

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Woo yey more wiimote ripoff.

OT would be interesting if it had an option to switch controlers, for those who can't let go of the "pad" or can't afford a move.
Looks interesting though, I just wonder how annoying will be to cast grenades when you get home after a long long loooong day of work.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
It looks like a dildo with a light bulb on the end...

*ahem*

I'm far too lazy to stand up whilst gaming, let alone flail my arms around clutching aforementioned lightbulb sex toy, so I doubt I'll be up for using this particular invention for extended periods of time.

Still, it does sound pretty fun, and an interesting alternative the the Wii, so if any of my PS3 owning friends get one, no doubt I'll have a go. And I'm guessing SOCOM4 is a ps3 exclusive?