Question of the Day, April 13, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 13, 2010

This week's issue of The Escapist is all about fanfiction, so it's time to come clean: do you write it, read it, or avoid it completely?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
After My Immortal, I distance myself from practically all fanfics.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I've been told there are good ones out there but liken it to the diamonds in the sewer analogy, there may be a few gems but you have to wade trough a lot of shit to find them.

Oh, and I don't write it either.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I can't bring myself to read it.

Maybe there actually is a fanfiction out there that I can stand and respect, but I'm not going to wade through everything that isn't it. I don't think I could survive that... I don't think anyone could...

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I read My Immortal which was one of the funniest things I've ever read, but other than that, no. They generally aren't very good.

Feb 13, 2008
Hazy said:
After My Immortal, I distance myself from practically all fanfics.
Obligatory Linkage [http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/]

There are good versions though. Just more difficult to find.

Root's General Warning: What has been seen cannot be unseen.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I avoid, fanfic is just weird I think. That and most fanfics are about things I don't care about.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
There have been some good ones that i've read but in order to get to those good ones i have to filter out all the crap.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
They are usually really poorly written in my experience, so I have been put off them. I don't have anything against the idea though.

SnootyEnglishman said:
There have been some good ones that i've read but in order to get to those good ones i have to filter out all the crap.
A little like DeviantArt in general.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Fanfiction Friday has kind of skewed my opinion of fanfic in general. Sometimes funny, normally downright terrifying ._.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've read some when I was a dumb teenager and too stupid to realize I wasn't reading leaked Harry Potter chapters e.e

I have written fan fiction too. I've done a lot of Celebrity Death Match fan-fic, trying to use real people but often using fictional characters and hating myself for not knowing about celebrities. I've also done a parody fan fiction featuring Nosferatu in place of Edward and lowering Bella's IQ whist increasing her libido to dangerous levels. There was also a semi-erotic piece of Halo fan-fic I have written, wherein the Master Chief goes insane. I rip off Max Payne quotes and base the story around baby covenant [covi-babies]

If anyone is in the mood for a laugh, they can be found here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/505008/
http://enmadaio2588.deviantart.com/

maybe you should avoid the first one. That is an old place which I keep on forgetting about with short stories I have written in the first half of my long forgotten high school ... time ...

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
There is some really good Aliens fanfic out there if you just look for it. I started reading Aliens fanfic in middle school and I still do every once in a while.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I avoid it or write it, but I rarely write it in anything more than short stories and I never publish it