Could Capcom Make Street Fighter Fit?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Could Capcom Make Street Fighter Fit?

Capcom doesn't have any plans to make a motion-controlled "traditional" Street Fighter anytime soon, but that might not rule out spinoffs like Street Fighter Exercise.

Combos, move-strings, canceling, super moves - Street Fighter is a complicated series. So as the industry moves toward motion control with Project Natal and PlayStation Move, has Capcom ever considered releasing a game in the series designed to appeal more to a casual audience than the hardcore fighting aficionados?

Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono told VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/street_fighter_fit_and_street_fighter_exercise.html] that while he thinks that motion-control "doesn't fit" with Street Fighter as it currently exists, Capcom could certainly make games in the series designed to appeal to a broader audience - like, say, the audience who dropped millions of dollars on Wii Fit.

"I've been interested in motion-sensing for a while, ever since Wii was launched," said Ono. "But I don't think it fits the way Street Fighter is played at the moment. It does broaden the appeal to casual users simply because of the instinctive controls, but it just doesn't quite fit an intricately balanced game such as Street Fighter."

"Now, there is a possibility of doing something called Street Fighter Fit, or Street Fighter Exercise, that is more suited for motion-sensing games, but that would obviously be a slightly different-themed game."

Personally, I think Wii Fit would be a ton more interesting if it taught me how to do a Hundred-Hand Slap.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I'd be all over a game that was effectively a recreation of the Eric Pridz Call on Me video with Chun-Lee or Cammy as the instructor (& so would anyone else!)

Also: Is the pic to go with the article intentionally homoerotic, or just a coincidence?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
could bring about some very...'interesting' uh 'moves' or whatever

spam hadouken!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
IF Exercise based game of street fighter came about i'd play it and then i could learn to stretch like Dhalsim and breath fire from the power of YOGA

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Would buy, day 1.

I want E. Honda telling that I am not carrying enough fat instead of that balance board saying the opposite. Rhythm bear wrestling exercise games. Posture, balance and deportment training with Blanka. And of course the leg based work out with Chun-Li.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If anything be so cheesy and gimicky...but worth it lol

although dosnt help put aside my fears for motion control I admit this would make me giggle!

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Well I most certainly would not purchase this if released in order to do Zangief's Lariat with magnificent precision.
>.>
<.<

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
"... doesn't quite fit an intricately balanced game such as Street Fighter."
I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny, but I certainly got a good laugh.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure how such a thing would go down. Now, I'm in pretty damned admirable physical condition, but I doubt I'm going to be reaching Ken Masters-level prowess. Though it would be lovely to have strikes so powerful they light on fire.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Didn't we already have something similar to this?

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/sega-genesis-activator-commercial/178979

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Do Blanka's lightning roll!!!

Mmm chun li's thighs... What? Shut up you were thinking it too!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well given spin offs like "Puzzle Fighter" using Street Fighter characters and such, I could see them trying to do a fitness game with Stret Fighter characters as hosts, but I don't think it would work except maybe for kids.

All comments about the more extreme moves aside, I have personally wondered for a while if somehow motion sensing could be used in some way to provide viable fighting training. Similar to how shooters and such are used as part of training soldiers in some places.

For example, I wonder if one could create an adjustable gun that could emulate the recoil and characteristics of real firearms, so while shooting at the screen you'd have to deal with the characteristics of the reaal weapon in your hand.

Plus all joking aside, producing a "wiimote knife" shaped and weighted like a real combat knife as opposed to the controller might be usable for teaching people actual close combat blade techniques.

Now, granted this would never come close to real instruction (and would freak some people out) but I have been thinking along these lines for a while. It could be intergrated into real training for soldiers and cops and such, or could also be sold on the private market for those really into self defense and such (as a game teaching you to fight with a knife is no worse than paying an instructor to do it... ditto for learning to shoot guns which you can also pay to do).

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, if it teaches me to HADOUUKEN!!! than it's all right.
Although we all know motion contolr is bullshit, and I certainly don't have the cash for a Wii.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
Ummm nooo.

That would be a bad idea.

If you want to learn about martial arts and want to see the true virtures of Martial Art trainning join your local martial art dojo to whatever your martial art it is that you are planning to take and learn what it REALL IS about.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Zudarkness said:
Ummm nooo.

If you want to learn about martial arts and want to see the true virtures of Martial Art trainning join your local martial art dojo to whatever your martial art it is that you are planning to take and learn what it REALL IS about.
I love how people jump to the conclusion that this game will teach them how to be as deadly as their favorite street fighter character. If they did create a Street Fighter Fit game, it would only serve purely as exercise. I doubt they would make a Street Fighter game that with the intention of teaching you how to fight because stupid kids everywhere would hurt themselves and perhaps anyone in the immediate vicinity trying to practice the moves.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jeronus said:
Zudarkness said:
Ummm nooo.

I love how people jump to the conclusion that this game will teach them how to be as deadly as their favorite street fighter character. If they did create a Street Fighter Fit game, it would only serve purely as exercise. I doubt they would make a Street Fighter game that with the intention of teaching you how to fight because stupid kids everywhere would hurt themselves and perhaps anyone in the immediate vicinity trying to practice the moves.
Methinks that is merely a kneejerk reaction, as a lot of cynics (like me) have toward Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and DJ Hero. Frankly I am surprised that this hasn't been implemented on the Wii by now, though I imagine it may be better suited for Natal.
Behold the dangers if one were to learn Street Fighter moves...

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Jeronus said:
Zudarkness said:
Ummm nooo.

Methinks that is merely a kneejerk reaction, as a lot of cynics (like me) have toward Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and DJ Hero. Frankly I am surprised that this hasn't been implemented on the Wii by now, though I imagine it may be better suited for Natal.
Behold the dangers if one were to learn Street Fighter moves...
You just made my day with that picture, good sir

-Zen- said:
"... doesn't quite fit an intricately balanced game such as Street Fighter."
I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny, but I certainly got a good laugh.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure how such a thing would go down. Now, I'm in pretty damned admirable physical condition, but I doubt I'm going to be reaching Ken Masters-level prowess. Though it would be lovely to have strikes so powerful they light on fire.
Actually street fighter is a quite, intracite and balanced game, there aren't really any "cheap" characters, except for Seth, but its nigh impossible for normal people to do the stuff Seth does in arcade