New Splinter Cell: Less Stealth, More Accessible

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Splinter Cell: Less Stealth, More Accessible

In an effort to make it more accessible, Max Beland of Ubisoft Montreal says the studio decided that the best way to improve the stealth gameplay in Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65497] was to get rid of the stealth gameplay in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Accessibility is almost as important as gameplay these days. For every hardcore gamer willing to blow an entire night in a marathon gaming session, there are many more who just want to fill in a half-hour while they're waiting for Lost [http://abc.go.com/shows/lost] to start. For game publishers who want to play in the big leagues, that's the holy grail: Not a small following of devoted fanatics but a broad, mainstream audience who thinks a game is kinda fun.

So it is that Beland, the creative director on Splinter Cell: Conviction, joined the project in early 2008 with a mandate to "fix the things that weren't happening." Chaos Theory [http://www.ubi.com].

"Although Chaos Theory was an amazing game, I think the issue that Ubisoft identified was that, out of everybody that is attracted by the fantasy of playing Sam Fisher, when they actually get to play it, we lose a lot of people," Beland explained to Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ubisoft-felt-splinter-cell-was-too-hardcore]. "Stealth, I think, has always been delivered as very hardcore gameplay."

"We did a lot of playtesting, a lot of consumer research, we talked to a lot of gamers and there were a lot of themes that were coming back all the time: Stealth is punitive, stealth is slow," he continued. The obvious solution? Kiss that hardcore stealth goodbye.

"Sam's back as the guy that he should have been all along. Sam is a guy who's fast, he's quick on his toes and he can run without making a lot of noise. He can be hanging on a ledge and not have to be moving at one centimeter per minute," Beland said. "Sam is a panther, not a grandmother."

It's impossible to argue with his assertion that stealth gameplay is inherently slow and not particularly appealing to a wide-ranging audience. But I still feel a little sad at the prospect of losing one of the few, and first, "true" stealth games available to fans of the genre. Sam can still shoot out lights and skulk through shadows but when you can just shoot people in the face, what's the point?

Splinter Cell: Conviction was released today for the Xbox 360 and comes out for the PC on April 29.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Seems they'll follow the same path of Mass Effect 2.

"We need more sales in the frat boy contingency. Remove some or most of that ridiculous substance and replace it with fanservice and/or dumbed-down game mechanics."

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
And that's exactly why I'm not getting it... Splinter Cell was all about stealth! It was fun to be slow, plan your approach, and go in. This really, really sucks.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I knew it from the first trailer that isn't even true anymore! Stealth replaced by combat and banana juggling!

Calumon: Rather than sneak up behind Jack, I'll just scream and shout before I jump on his head. :p

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Sam is a panther, not a grandmother."
I fail to see how much more efficient a panther would be at a stealth mission than a grandmother.

At least if you take that quote literally.

Anyway, I still don't like this. Stealth is about patience and strategy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its like taking...the shooting out of MW2?

Its going to be intresting, I welcome it in a sense as I always felt the SS games were always a little too convoluted. Hopefully, as it says, more people can get into it

Apr 28, 2008
So they took what set the game apart and removed it?

Uh-huh...

You see, funny thing about that "core audience," they will buy your games. You can bet on it. But that mainstream audience, there's a damn good chance they won't give a damn about your game and just not buy it.

Its a fantastic thing if it pays off, but devestating if it doesn't. And it doesn't pay off very often.

And with the changes you make to the core game, like removing what had your core audience loved and bought the thing for, you alienate them and lose sales from them, putting yourself in a very bad situation.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I thought this was the case after seeing gameplay trailers... well that's unfortunate, but I've given up hope with this genre since I haven't played a new one in a good few years.

I LOVE stealth games, but there are about 4 of them...
[small]That's love in caps, bold and italics, just take a moment to realise how much love that is.[/small]

I'll have to make do with playing rogue in all the RPGs I can.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I guess I'm happy that I was already not buying it due to the horrible DRM. Now I'm no longer sad I'll miss this game.

Goodbye Sam. I'll cherish our adventures and sneaking when playing the 3 first games only from now on. We had a good run and I'll miss you.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Well turning Sam Fisher into Jason Bourne/Jack Bower is not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Play testing? Play testing?! There's a game ending bug 50 freakin' minutes into the game!

NOTE: I have not asked if this is a universal problem, but my game continuously freezes about 10-20 minutes into the second level. I also had this issue with the demo. I don't know what the hell is going on.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
How ill miss you splinter cell. Never will I forget the moment I pulled a terrorist off the side of a lighthouse which is something that doesnt happen very often in games. Gone are the silly cameras with clicking noises and smoke. Gone is one of the most fun co-op games where you actually had to work together.

You will be missed splinter cell. CURSE YOU UBISOFT!!!

shoot and hope

Apr 12, 2010
I remember a old splinter cell game on playsation 2 I used to play and I vowed never to play splinter cell as it was very boring, now I know nothing has changed.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I played the demo, it most certainly wasn't the stealth experience of old... it was just "a good game", not a good Splinter Cell game.

*Sigh*
I've still got Chaos Theory and Thief for my stealth fix, I suppose.

DynamicPenguin

Mar 11, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Play testing? Play testing?! There's a game ending bug 50 freakin' minutes into the game!

NOTE: I have not asked if this is a universal problem, but my game continuously freezes about 10-20 minutes into the second level. I also had this issue with the demo. I don't know what the hell is going on.
It IS a universal problem. Basically all the games freeze in the single player campaign making it unplayable even earlier then 50 minutes in at times. Ubisoft really dropped the ball on this one...

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Why would anyone want to play Splinter Cell if not for the stealth-based gameplay? It would be stupid to remove the very thing that made the SC games so unique and challenging.

Let the action-junkies have their Halo and MGS. Don't ruin my SC by trying to cater to ADHD 14-year olds!

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Sam can still shoot out lights and skulk through shadows but when you can just shoot people in the face, what's the point?
" A really skilled infiltrator should never have to kill, and ideally, the enemy shouldn't even know they've been there."

That's the way I always played Splinter Cell, and is the reason that I probably won't be picking up this title.

(I'll just check it out when my friend picks it up.)