Gears of War 3 Writer is Acclaimed Star Wars Novelist

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War 3 Writer is Acclaimed Star Wars Novelist

Republic Commando [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77663] Star Wars novel series.

Unless you read a lot of franchise fiction, the name Karen Traviss probably won't mean a lot to you, but she's acclaimed amongst fans of the Star Wars Expanded Universe for really bringing the Mandalorians to life, especially the rank and file. She's also already written two GoW novels with a third on the way and has been tasked with writing Gears of War 3

Sadly, Traviss second Star War series, Imperial Commando, was cancelled, as it was felt that it painted a picture that didn't gel well with the Clone Wars TV show, and as Star Wars fans know, movies and apparently TV too, trump any other form of media when it comes to deciding what is and isn't canon.

However, this experience in taking regular soldiers and really infusing them with personality should stand her in good stead for writing Gears of War 3. The story probably isn't high on most people's lists of what they like about the Gears series, but GoW 3 might end up surprising us all.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/04/13/gears-of-war-3-writer-is-noted-star-wars-author-karen-traviss]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well. I am sure his name means something to some people...although, at least it means hes accomplished. Always good to see proper writers doing stuff in games!

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Well thank god she is getting work after the way Lucas treated her.

Hint, when you personally hire someone to flesh out stories/ideas/people, it might be a good idea to ACTUALLY USE THEIR MATERIAL. Otherwise, why hire them?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Hey, so long as she makes the game's story interesting, she could've been an assistant on Twilight for all I care.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Good. Gears of War's story hasn't been it's strongest feature... ah who am I kidding. It's been the laughing stock of the gaming community for a while. But hopeful this will be the best story of the franchise.

far_wanderer

Oct 17, 2008
And suddenly my opinion on Gears of War changes from "not even slightly interested" to "strongly considering a purchase".

Tomsky

Oct 15, 2009
The books she does are actually really good. I look forward to single player :)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I hear Halo 4 is going to be written by Dan Abnett.
Link please.

OT:At least we have a good writer writing Gears 3. That is good to hear. Thank You!

Elomin Sha

Mar 9, 2009
No no no no no! Karen Travis has a nickname with in the Star Wars community. Traviss-ty because what she writes really poor stories. She has a fixation on the mandalorians she hates Jedi with a passion and wrote one of the worst storylines in the Legacy series of books. *Spoiler for any of those who are yet to finish the series* Jace Solo who is turning to the dark side kills Mara Jade (Luke wife) with a poison dart. A simple poison dart, Traviss completely forgets that in previous series of books also an inferior series the longer it went on for, that Mara had a more life threatening illness which almost killed her over the course of a couple of years.

This can only end badly in my opinion.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I hear Halo 4 is going to be written by Dan Abnett.
But then a unit of USMC marines with no weapons at all would be able to take on an entire pack of Brutes and win.

Such is the madness of Dan Abnett.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Great, just great.

After what she did to the Star Wars EU, my opinion of Karen Traviss has been in a steady nose dive since the latter half of the Republic Commando novel series (don't even get me started on her contributions to the Legacy novels...)

That said, I'll [try to] remain open-minded. One [or more] bad work do not make a bad author. I have this on my radar, nonetheless.

Though, if any Star Wars author were to write for a video game, I would have bought said game in a heartbeat (provided the game is still fun) if the author was Timothy Zahn.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I read a certain Republic Commando novel of hers. I didn't like it. It just... wasn't right. I mean, a clone Commando gets a Jedi pregnant? Really?

Oh, and I certainly hope that she won't make Delta squad take a back seat this time[footnote]Hello and welcome to Joke Explanation! On tonight's Joke Explanation, the preceding sentence. In the Star Wars: Republic Commando game, you commanded a squad of clones called Delta squad while in Gears of War, a squad named Delta squad was also involved. In the Republic Commando novels however, Karen Traviss (who is writing Gears of War 3) pushed the awesome Delta squad aside in favour of the less interesting Alpha squad with a stupid subplot involving one of the clone commandos getting a Jedi pregnant with Delta squad appearing only in minor roles. You have been watching Joke Explanation, and we hope that this poster's humour will not be terrible enough that you will have to tune in again![/footnote].