Sony Bundling Free PS3 Games With 3D TVs

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Bundling Free PS3 Games With 3D TVs

Are you on the fence about picking up a 3D TV? Would some free PS3 games win you over?

People who purchase Sony's first 3D capable TV, the Bravia HX800 will be given a code to download free stereoscopic games for their PS3s. Purchasers will be able to download full 3D versions of Super Stardust HD and WipeOut HD, three episoides of Pain and a demo of MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

The offer is only good in Europe unfortunately, although it's possible that Sony may roll out some similar deal for other territories.

Sony has said that it has many studios working on 3D titles and is "very optimistic" about the technology. No pricing details have been announced for the new TVs yet, but Sony is saying that it will be affordable. The HX800 is set for release this June, with the PS3 getting a firmware upgrade around the same time.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/free-ps3-games-with-sony-3d-tvs]

Apr 28, 2008
Sounds interesting. But I don't feel like wearing a special pair of glasses to play games.

I already wear glasses, and they just wouldn't get along.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You know, I tried out a 3D TV in Best Buy not too long ago, and it was pretty cool.
Until I realized I had to buy a special TV, with special, power glasses, and get a special 3D copy of my movie in order for it to all work. I'm going to have to give that a big 'pass'. I don't have $3000+ to blow on something as frivolous as 3D TV.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Be interesting to see Wipeout in 3D, but I've played a few 3D games in the past and found them to be.....dissorientating, especially the shooters

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
It's going to take a while before 3d catches on it tvs but hey 3d gaming really appeals to me, so I think it might be the logical step forward.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Well, 3D has kind of already blown itself out of proportion in the US as far as I can tell... although maybe the release of so damned many 3D movies was intended to coincide with the development of a 3D TV, so the hype was all falsely generated and overplayed by ads... though so many movies came out in 3D it seems worrisome to think they were all gambling that much on it.

Nevertheless, until they create a holographic television, true independent 3D without the use of additional materials (read: glasses) is still a distant speck.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
if you buy a 3D tv and you watch things in normal HD or does it all have to be 3D?

Either way that's pretty cool to get some games with a TV (if you have a playstation that is).

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
coldfrog said:
Well, 3D has kind of already blown itself out of proportion in the US as far as I can tell... although maybe the release of so damned many 3D movies was intended to coincide with the development of a 3D TV, so the hype was all falsely generated and overplayed by ads... though so many movies came out in 3D it seems worrisome to think they were all gambling that much on it.

Nevertheless, until they create a holographic television, true independent 3D without the use of additional materials (read: glasses) is still a distant speck.
Just about every animated movie since the early 2000's is in 3d. 3d movies have been here for a while now and are just gaining popularity. and they do already have 3d TVs that have no need of 3d glasses the technology is called autostereoscopic 3d. its just a lil to pricey for consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
TheRealGoochman said:
if you buy a 3D tv and you watch things in normal HD or does it all have to be 3D?

Either way that's pretty cool to get some games with a TV (if you have a playstation that is).
Yep you can play normal movies/games on a 3d tv.
But if you have a 3d you arent going to play 2d I guess.
If its working good that is :p

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
3D alienates a large demographic. Namely people with only one functioning eye.

It will not catch on.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Those of you who have yet to be won over by 3D TV need to watch this ad [http://www.spike.com/video/masterpieces-in-3d/3375027].

I've been playing games in 3D on my PC and I believe it does add to the game (especially the overlord series. If you can, do play these games in 3D), it's just little more than a graphical upgrade like HD vs SD.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Oh God, why can't this 3D just DIE already?
+1

I really don't get the fascination with 3D technology, it does not look good, and ruins a film more often than not. It darkens the colour palette and makes the picture less sharp, often ruining the directors intended shot. Its a bit like a TV villain, no matter how many times they are killed off they find someway to make a comeback!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
xpacerx said:
coldfrog said:

Just about every animated movie since the early 2000's is in 3d. 3d movies have been here for a while now and are just gaining popularity. and they do already have 3d TVs that have no need of 3d glasses the technology is called autostereoscopic 3d. its just a lil to pricey for consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy
You live and learn... that's some wild stuff right there. And yeah, there have been 3D movies since almost the beginning of film, but only in the past few years have they really pushed it to this ridiculous amount... every other film ad I see has a 3D version. Frankly, I'm sick of it already. TPHTP.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
TelHybrid said:

It will not catch on.
Add in gamers who already have to find strategies to avoid vertigo.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
TelHybrid said:

It will not catch on.
As like people like me.

So, will free games sell it for me? No, not really.

Anything 3D for me means nothing, at all.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
3D is a fad, until the technology becomes available where it becomes true 3d without the use of special glasses (That give me migraines) it will remain a fad.

10BIT said:
Those of you who have yet to be won over by 3D TV need to watch this ad [http://www.spike.com/video/masterpieces-in-3d/3375027].
I actually feel mildly insulted by the idiocy of that ad.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I'm resisting every cell in my body at the moment trying to refrain erupting into an explosive mix of fiery rage and various expletives. The very thought of 3D makes me cringe. Now we have manufacturers trying to peddle this garbage (at prices I can only begin to fathom) for home entertainment purposes? The funniest/most enraging thing about this is that going forward with this means there's actually some kind of demand for it...

Tl,dr: 3D make JdaS angry. Very angry.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Good. I can't tell you how many times I've laid down in the couch and gone "Damn, I could use a huge pair of thick glasses in right now"