Assassin's Creed 2 Sets Record for "Most Covers"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Assassin's Creed 2 Sets Record for "Most Covers"

Assassin's Creed 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-II-Xbox-360/dp/B00269DXCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534279&sr=1-1] has set a new and rather unusual mark for videogames: It has become, according to Guinness World Records, the "most cover-featured videogame" of all time.

It's not as complicated as it might first sound but it is an impressive feat: In the year from April 2009 and April 2010 Assassin's Creed 2 appeared as the lead cover story in 127 different publications in 32 countries, more than any other videogame in the world. Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition [http://www.ubi.com].

"The evidence submitted by Ubisoft was extremely thorough, with full details of every publication that featured the game," said Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition Editor Gaz Deaves. "It's been a pleasure researching this category and we were pleasantly surprised that Assassin's Creed 2 took the record - I'm sure plenty of commentators (including myself) would have predicted another well-known game winning the title instead, and this achievement is even more impressive in view of the other 2009 releases that Assassin's Creed 2 was able to beat".

I hate to admit it but I have no idea what other "well-known game" he's talking about. What I'd really like to know, though, is exactly how Assassin's Creed 2 came by the title. Was it an epic struggle with a glorious past champion, eked out by Ezio with a last-minute cover on the Singaporean edition of OXM? Or was it just the first time anyone bothered to count? Curiosity got the better of me, so I asked; I'll let you know if I actually get an answer.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I bet it was just a last-ditch effort to get the game more positive publicity after the whole DRM fiasco. In fact, I bet they were planning it all along...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would have thought something like MGS4, or other high-publised games might have taken a crown like this...but, AC2?

Im surprised by that actually, but, doubt it will do much to placate the PC users who still use there Draconic systems

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Personally, I found the game rather boring but I agree with the above comment. Most of its cover probably was related to the DRM.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am assuming the other well-known game would be Modern Warfare 2... I hear it was kinda popular last year...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Monshroud said:
I am assuming the other well-known game would be Modern Warfare 2... I hear it was kinda popular last year...
Yeah, I thought that'd be a no brainer considering the ridiculous amount of money that was spent advertising it.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Congrats to AC2 and its creators.

I wonder who was second place?

Edit: What are the chances that the person above me has the same avatar.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Sparrow said:
Monshroud said:
Yeah, I thought that'd be a no brainer considering the ridiculous amount of money that was spent advertising it.
Like Andy said i wonder if they ever bothered counting before, but i'm sure that well known game that thought was gonna win was MW2 so they most likely checked that at least.

127 publications, All videogame magazines? hmmm wonder how many of those showed up in the past week. ;)

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Armored Prayer said:

Those sneaky assassins get around :D
AP vs. AR cage fight for the avatar.

May 28, 2009
Armored Prayer said:

lemme guess AVP group?

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
dmase said:
Armored Prayer said:

Those sneaky assassins get around :D
AP vs. AR cage fight for the avatar.
MOOOOOOOOOOORTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

also

I still say the original was a better game ¬_¬

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Armored Prayer said:

lemme guess AVP group?
Yup, I got it around a month or two ago.

Boy, this is awkward.

May 28, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Armored Prayer said:

lemme guess AVP group?
Yup, I got it around a month or two ago.

Boy, this is awkward.
don't worry im in the process of customising mine :D

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
"That other game" is Modern Warfare 2, obviously.

That cliched soldier walking away from a battle cover... I'm glad it was topped by Ezio's slight grin.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
well that's a much better world record than wii sports. seriously, how can that win the game with the sales record if it did through cheting. it comes with the freaking console. well done ass creed, a proper achievment.