7500 Gamers Sell Their Souls to GameStation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
7500 Gamers Sell Their Souls to GameStation

If you made an online purchase from GameStation [http://www.gamestation.co.uk] on April 1, 2010, you may be surprised to discover that the company now legally owns your immortal soul.

It's common knowledge that nobody ever actually reads the various end user license agreements, terms and conditions and other legalistic walls of text that gamers are commonly assaulted with. It takes too long, they're way too complicated and they all say the same thing: Do this, don't do that, no warranties explicit or implied, etc. Nobody cares about them anyway, so what's the point?

But on April 1, U.K. retailer GameStation decided to make a point: It inserted an "Immortal Soul Clause" into the T&C of its online game sales, then sat back to watch what would happen.

"By placing an order via this web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul," the terms and conditions [http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Help/TermsAndConditions/] read. "Should We wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it, within 5 (five) working days of receiving written notification from gamesation.co.uk or one of its duly authorized minions. We reserve the right to serve such notice in 6 (six) foot high letters of fire, however we can accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by such an act."

True to form, according to the company, 88 percent of customers didn't read the T&C and thus legally forfeited their souls. How could it tell? Because the 12 percent who did notice the clause also saw the opt-out option, which included a voucher for £5 - roughly $7.75 - off the price of their purchase. More than 7500 customers missed out on the offer and are now beholden to GameStation for all eternity.

Fortunately, management says the company isn't actually interested in harvesting souls, so it will be issuing an email to all customers nullifying its claim.

Source: bit-tech.net [http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/15/gamestation-we-own-your-soul/1]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alright that's one of the best April Fools jokes yet. Unfortunately they wouldn't get my soul, I sold it in Grade Eight so they'd be a little late to the party

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Meh, Gamestation have owned my sould for many years, and a large chunk of my disposable income

Apr 28, 2008
HA!

Thats great.

But it also scares me. What if someone decided to do something like this for real? By law they would be in the clear...

Scary thought.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I feel like this could have easily taken the cake in the contest had it been found earlier, this is just simply that Awesome.

Kaltazraza

Creepy dancing
Sep 10, 2008
Thats fucking awesome done, would be more awesome if they did something with the souls in an EVIL WAY OF EVIL DOINGNESS!!!!

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
That's pretty awesome. From the title I assumed it would be a joke, that buying games from gamestation means you lose your soul automatically :p

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Nice. I wonder what would have happened if they had gone through with it...

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Well, my respect for Gamestation just went up. This is awesome. Of course, they should totally keep all of those souls. I have no idea what they would do with them but still

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
My soul is completely without value, its been a black and twisted wreck since I was... oh I dunno, let's say twelve. It'd be a raw deal for them. I made peace with Hell as my final resting place a long time ago. Remember what they say, go to Heaven for the scenery, Hell for the company.

Still, awesome prank. EULA's are Serious Business people!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I like companies with a sense of humour. I can now see somebody suing them in order to get their soul back and claiming "grievances" though. If this happens then I called it.

May 28, 2009
That'll teach us to read the terms and conditions!

[sub]No it won't...[/sub]

Legion said:
I like companies with a sense of humour. I can now see somebody suing them in order to get their soul back and claiming "grievances" though. If this happens then I called it.
I can imagine being in that jury.

"Mr. Nothingbettertodo is suing Gamestation for taking his immortal soul and for greivances incurred thereafter. What does the prosecution have to say about this?"

"I have a tin hat which I use to detect slightly offensive adverts so I can quickly complain to Ofcom. I also was the first person to complain about the Janet Jackson incident (I played it frame-by-frame to confirm I had something to complain about)."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This company just earned a huge amount of respect in my eyes.

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
And that is why Gamestation> Game for me. The local people who work there are much friendlier in my area as well.

:D