Analyst: Battlefield Could be Modern Warfare Killer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Analyst: Battlefield Could be Modern Warfare Killer

Market analyst Mike Hickey believes that the Modern Warfare 2. [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Bad-Company-Playstation-3/dp/B000WS97QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534185&sr=1-1]

Mike Hickey, an analyst for Janco Partners, believes that EA's Battlefield: Bad Company series has the potential to be a "Modern Warfare killer," and that EA is currently sitting on a number of very large franchises.

"We're encouraged by the strong sales performance from emerging mega franchises like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Battlefield, which we see as a potential Modern Warfare killer," he said. "EA has been plagued over the last several years by franchise fatigue and new IP market fragility ... [which] we believe they have stabilized and/or eliminated from their forward game slate."

"We remain optimistic for potential upside from games like Medal of Honor (a prior power franchise), Bulletstorm (cover of May Game Informer magazine), Dead Space 2 and the unannounced new IP (potential fiscal 2012 release) from the newly formed Respawn Entertainment studio through EA Partners."

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38536/Battlefield-potential-Modern-Warfare-killer]

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Who reckons in around 3 to 4 years, we'll be wishing EA to piss off and be complaining about the Battlefield franchise, then start worshiping COD again.

But anyway, I don't want either game to take over the other. Battlefield is for teamwork, COD is for run-and-gun. I like my choices.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I definitely think it would be difficult to overthrom MW2, but Battlefield definitely has potential. I'm really happy to see that people are no longer viewing EA so much as a "sellout powerhouse trying to stifle the creativity of other developers" (Yes, I've heard many people say things like that).

Although they still do have a chokehold on the testicles of sports games.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
toastmaster2k8 said:
It is, all the kids who obsess over MW 2 are now obsessing over Battlefield.
Yes, just like all kids obsessed with WoW are now obsessing over Aion/WAR/whatever coming out this/next year.

Not.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Well, look at EA coming along, top of the world and "evil", then down and now they're coming up again and loads of people are cheering them on.

To be expected, I guess, not every venture can be a success.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Remember when Battlefield and Cod used to co-exist peacefully?

Why now must they be ruthlessly pitted against each other in a battle to the death?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Bobzer77 said:

Why now must they be ruthlessly pitted against each other in a battle to the death?
Because the current gaming climate is focused on the mega-franchise. There can be only one.

That is, by the way, also the reason why most AAA titles these days are sequels.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Battlefield may be good, but it's not a COD killer. COD defined the FPS experience of the last five years, rightfully picking up where Medal of Honor left off. I just don't see how Battlefield can top it.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Bobzer77 said:

Because the current gaming climate is focused on the mega-franchise. There can be only one.

That is, by the way, also the reason why most AAA titles these days are sequels.
Most agreed, both started off as PC titles as well, both were well received by both crowds. When both started coming to consoles, thats when the war began. Coincidence? I think not.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Abedeus said:
toastmaster2k8 said:
It is, all the kids who obsess over MW 2 are now obsessing over Battlefield.
Yes, just like all kids obsessed with WoW are now obsessing over Aion/WAR/whatever coming out this/next year.

Not.
Honestly, that seems to be kinda the way of things these days. Though, I'm not sure why.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Ooooo, not a good idea.

Referring to your game as the killer of another game not only acknowledges the competitor's title as being king, and therefore downplays your own, but it also immediately focuses your own title as needing to be based around your opponent's, and not its own internal design philosophy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can actually somewhat believe this. My friends who do pla ythese online seem to be favouring BBCII over MW2 at the moment.

Either way, I am sure Activision is prolly shaking a little

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
I don't think that's ever going to happen. MW2 got to say it was the biggest seller of all time, which made a bunch of people think "that means i must purchase it also, as it is clearly the best thing since sliced bread." (fallacy) BC2 can't say that.
You got other problems too, like the (in my experience) incredibly loyal MW2 fanbase, and the seeming "MW2 is a sequel to the best game ever" -itude

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
Jonny49 said:
Who reckons in around 3 to 4 years, we'll be wishing EA to piss off and be complaining about the Battlefield franchise, then start worshiping COD again.

But anyway, I don't want either game to take over the other. Battlefield is for teamwork, COD is for run-and-gun. I like my choices.
I agree with you on that.

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
Call of Duty will keep its chokehold on the FPS genre for a long time. I think Battlefield is better, but Call of Duty will stay on top because it's such an identifiable name. It's easier to pick up and has a much faster pace. (My friends like Modern Warfare 2 over Battlefield because of these reasons.)

pneuvo

Apr 7, 2010
SuperMse said:
Ooooo, not a good idea.

Referring to your game as the killer of another game not only acknowledges the competitor's title as being king, and therefore downplays your own, but it also immediately focuses your own title as needing to be based around your opponents, and not its own internal design philosophy.
I don't think these statements came from the company, and the company probably has mixed feelings about them. The statements came from an analyst, likely telling his clients where to invest their money. He seems to be saying EA is a good investment right now.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
pneuvo said:
SuperMse said:
Ooooo, not a good idea.

Referring to your game as the killer of another game not only acknowledges the competitor's title as being king, and therefore downplays your own, but it also immediately focuses your own title as needing to be based around your opponents, and not its own internal design philosophy.
I don't think these statements came from the company, and the company probably has mixed feelings about them. The statements came from an analyst, likely telling his clients where to invest their money. He seems to be saying EA is a good investment right now.
D'oh! You're right on that one. Specifically, he's an analyst for Janco Partners. Still, for the above reasons, I really don't like the term "[Insert Franchise Here] killer." Remember when people used that for Halo? That was annoying.