Stolen Pixels #186: Well Lookie Who We Have Here

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #186: Well Lookie Who We Have Here

What's the point of a sequel that has nothing in common with the original IP?

Read Full Article

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I like how 2K claim they are staying true to the series roots, when the only thing they are really taking from the originals are the names.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Well, the names, and presumably the enemies...Other than that, it will probably be completely different.

...Also weapons and such.

I'm not defending it or anything, I saw that and nearly shat a brick. It might actually end up being fun though, you never know with this sort of thing.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Oh wow. I played a teeny bit of X-Com waay back when but I completely forgot about it. would love to fire this up again (or play a game like in modern terms)

but a shooter. I'm getting bored of Shooters only Crysis 2 seems to be grabbing my attention and thats only because the storyline might not have more holes than Jesus' Swiss Cheese Factory

Apr 28, 2008
zombie711 said:
it worked for fallout 3
Which is what I'm trying to keep in mind for this. But Fallout 3 actually tried to stick to the overall lore. Vault Dweller, Wasteland, fun. It had those.

But this... I just don't know...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Irridium said:
zombie711 said:
it worked for fallout 3
Which is what I'm trying to keep in mind for this. But Fallout 3 actually tried to stick to the overall lore. Vault Dweller, Wasteland, fun. It had those.

But this... I just don't know...
Yeah, although they did same thing, they kept with a theme.

This is something totally new...its like opening a successful chicken farm then moving onto cows...totally different workings.

Ill be watching it but...

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Ooh, a Bioshock MMO, set before the fall of Rapture all intrigue and player "companies" trying to outcompete each other as the world slowly goes more and more insane around them. I'd play that! :)

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Do they just have IP darts that they throw at a genre dartboard?
Yes. And there are 10 genres marked on the dartboard, 9 of them being FPS and the 10th one being action-adventure.(Which I put for the reason of not being very specific at all)

diabloclown

Aug 19, 2009
I'm just hoping they include elements from stuff like Valkyria Chronicles or Rainbow Six. If they're going to make it a shooter, at the very least, have it include team tactics. There's no I in X-Com.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
It's been done before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Enforcer

So, really, it's no shock.

Also, I won't be buying it. I likes tactical squad games, and I wants tactical squad game. That doesn't take 2 hours per random battles. And causes me to have a heart attack every time the aliens launch a psionic takeover of my best units. And kill the rest. Brutally.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
d319tm said:
Ooh, a Bioshock MMO, set before the fall of Rapture all intrigue and player "companies" trying to outcompete each other as the world slowly goes more and more insane around them. I'd play that! :)
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You know, I don't see why people get all up in a huff about this.
Your ideal game isn't being made because they wanted to do something different in the same universe, big deal. At least they aren't just updating the graphics and calling it a sequel like most company's do nowadays. Get over it XD

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Even if it doesn't suck, it still does away with everything that made the original so great, so why do they need to tie this new game into the existing franchise? If this was called anything but X-COM (or Xcom, or whatever. I haven't a fuck to give), I wouldn't be bothered. Just another generic shooter in an era of generic shooters. But this transplant just makes no sense.

In essence, a genre change doesn't have to be a big deal. Look at Fallout 3: Sure, you might prefer the older games, but what made Fallout so great was the setting and atmosphere, which were translated to the FPS version fairly well. The gameplay of the original Fallout games was ok, but it wasn't what the games were about. People don't play Fallout for the gameplay. Even though not every great element of the older games was perfectly preserved, a significant part that made them what they were was something that could be preserved across genres, which is why I'm perfectly ok with Fallout 3.

However, the same just isn't true for X-COM. Just as people don't play Fallout for the gameplay, people don't play X-COM for the setting or the story. "Aliens invade Earth and you need to fight them off" is pretty much as generic as it gets. The tense atmosphere that the game could take on is also something that a huge number of games strive to achieve in one way or another, and is certainly nothing you'd need to use the franchise for. The only thing that makes X-COM fans X-COM fans is the gameplay. Any significant change to the core gameplay means that X-COM isn't X-COM anymore.

X-COM Enforcer was an earlier attempt at an X-COM shooter, and it failed miserably. Why build on that legacy in stead of starting something fresh and new? Even if this new game turns out to be the best shooter in the history of videogames, it still won't be what the fans expect out of the franchise, and the name means absolutely nothing to non-fans. So why would they even want to use the franchise?

mbourgon

Feb 11, 2010
To be fair, if there's somebody who could get it right, it's the guys who did Freedom Force (and Thief, and System Shock 2, and...)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Really, i agree with that. Why would someone take an existing franchise to build in if it's so generic? They're not going to get any profit from old fans, and that name does not mean anything to people now.

d319tm said:
L4Y Duke said:
I was thinking the exact same thing.
There's a rumor it's in the works, just so you know.

mbourgon said:
To be fair, if there's somebody who could get it right, it's the guys who did Freedom Force (and Thief, and System Shock 2, and...)
It's the Bioshock 2 guys. Only wait, that's not even them - that's some secondary studio. Lolwut?

Warlockofaus

Nov 18, 2009
I'm tempted to post a 'automatic game remaker' involving two 2d6 rolls. The Star Control 2 Shooter! The Syndicate JRPG! The Planescape:Torment Tower Defence!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
zombie711 said:
it worked for fallout 3
Fallout 3 was still an RPG. Not to mention that the first games were pretty combat heavy (if you so desired) so the FPS nature of it was more of an evolution and there was still "VATS" for the turn based slow-mo loving crowd.

Now we go from turn based overhead strategy game to real time FPS.

I have high hopes for this, because games like Rainbow Six (NOT vegas), and SWAT 4 have pulled this off, or at least something close.