$25 World of Warcraft Mount Launches on Blizzard Store

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
$25 World of Warcraft Mount Launches on Blizzard Store

For a quarter hundo, World of Warcraft [http://www.wunderground.com/US/NC/025.html#REC] players can get their hands on an exclusive mount made of blue and space and stuff.

Today, Blizzard added two new items to the Blizzard Store [http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33] that will no doubt have World of Warcraft players soaring through the stars. The first is a $10 pet called the Lil' XT that joins the ranks of other pets already available such as the Lil' KT and Pandaren Monk. The second is more of a gameplay affecting addition: a Celestial Steed mount that is siphoning hundreds of thousands of dollars from players already.

The Celestial Steed costs $25 and is like sitting your butt on an armored constellation. Purchasing one applies to all characters on a World of Warcraft license. It will move as fast as whatever your current level of skill allows. If you're still a World of Warcraft fetus, it will remain in the celestial stable with a celestial tear in its eye until you level up properly.

According to WoW.com [http://www.wow.com/2010/04/15/queue-for-celestrial-steed-and-lil-xt-is-above-70-000/], the queue for the Celestial Steed has already reached over 80,000 people as of this writing, which calculates to something like $50 billion in profit for Blizzard in less than one day. Now, if we could just get Blizzard to put a unicorn mount on the Blizzard Store, I would reactivate my World of Warcraft account in an instant. I would do anything to ride on a unicorn.

It might seem like Blizzard is ripping players off here: anger, hate, rage, etc, but perhaps it isn't. Some WoW players spend dozens of hours grinding and questing just to get certain in-game items, which they are paying for the privilege of, so this is sort of like cutting out the middleman even though it costs almost two months of subscription fees. On the other hand, I don't play WoW anymore, and was completely over special items that made people stop and point at me when I did play. In a way, it's just like Blizzard selling a World of Warcraft t-shirt or another piece of merchandise, but the Celestial Steed just happens to be in-game.

To those still raiding and questing on a daily/hourly basis, is it okay for Blizzard to charge $25 for a special mount, or is it a shameless money grab? When it comes right down to it, the money Blizzard is earning will probably only go towards more Blizzard goodness, so I could think of worse places for these millions of dollars to go.

(Via: WoW.com [http://www.wow.com/2010/04/15/celestial-steed-lil-xt-now-active-on-the-blizzard-store/])

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
When you think about it, the people who got the TCG items probably spent a whole lot more than $25 on their respective mounts.

Edit: Also, that thing looks cool as hell. Kinda want.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I was first in line. Bought this thing within 10 minutes of it being out. Love it <3

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I think this is a waste of money... and I still kind of want one.

-m

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I don't play WoW, but if I did I wouldn't pay $25 for a digital item I can only use in game. I would have to get a T-Shirt or a soundtrack or something to go with it. that just seems like too high a price for a digital horse.

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
If I wasn't going to cancel my account this weekend I would be VERY tempted. But, I am, so I'm not :D

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
FloodOne said:
I don't play WoW, but if I did I wouldn't pay $25 for a digital item I can only use in game. I would have to get a T-Shirt or a soundtrack or something to go with it. that just seems like too high a price for a digital horse.
You wouldn't say that if you knew it went to every character you have or will ever make. It also scales its speed to whatever your highest attained speed is.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
It's one of those things that doesn't detract from the game so no-one has any basis for complaining about it. I won't buy it, and I don't care if anyone else does.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Oof, that's really rather expensive. Still, people obviously want it, and this sort of thing is definitely a money printer for Blizzard.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
$25 seems a tad steep for my taste (although saying that, being a citizen of the UK I'd be paying just over half that) For that kind of price I would at least want half a month play-time bundled in with it.
Y'know like the deal you get for buying the Gryphon plushy which comes with the in-game version too.

Is that too much to ask for? I suppose it's up to what the item is personally worth to the person buying it.

For me, it's just too much.
Although like others I totally want one.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
If you want a unicorn mount that badly you can always go play a paladin in Everquest, they get one.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Metal Brother said:
A fool and his money...
Would you apply that to any hobby anyone has? If not, you're not being reasonable.