Mass Effect Hits iPhone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mass Effect Hits iPhone

BioWare's spacefaring RPG franchise is making the move to Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch, but it's shifting gears pretty dramatically along the way.

According to a Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/28/survey-reveals-mass-effect-jacobs-story-for-iphone] reader who phoned in claiming he recently took a survey about a Mass Effect game for iPhone and iPod Touch, this version of Mass Effect won't be very much like its console brethren at all. Titled Mass Effect: Jacob's Story, the game adopts a cartoony art style and focuses on top-down shooter gameplay while functioning as a lead-in to the upcoming Mass Effect 2.

The Jacob of the title is one Jacob Taylor, "a biotic-powered super-soldier who stumbles across a plot to terrorize civilization's greatest beacon of hope." Like any good super soldier, Jacob's natural response to stumbling across an evil plot is to shoot bad guys until he saves the day. That seems to be the heart of Jacob's Story: shooting dudes from a top-down perspective. No actual details confirmed, but let me guess: you tap enemies to make Jacob shoot at them.

The survey apparently stated that if the game is successful EA and BioWare would consider turning it into a series, as well as the possibility of similar treatment for Dragon Age. According to Joystiq's source, the game will be two hours long and cost $2.99. Shouldn't be too bad a deal for ME lore freaks, as the game promises to flesh out the backstory for some of the sequel's characters.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Why does this need to be a Mass Effect game? Aren't there better premises for top-down iPhone shooters?

Money makes ze world go round...

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
SuperMse said:
Why does this need to be a Mass Effect game? Aren't there better premises for top-down iPhone shooters?

Money makes ze world go round...
Zzzzz....

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
This minigame looks like crap. I'm hoping its a hoax, because its yet to be officialy announced over at Bioware...

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
I probably will be buying this.

I love GOOD and CHEAP iPod games. I want Assassins Creed but $10 is a little much.

Gotta wait and see what the reviews are though

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
There's a special place in my heart for iPhone owners, because I can sell them pointless shiny electronic crap at exorbitant prices so long as it's white/has the Apple logo on it.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
SODAssault said:
There's a special place in my heart for iPhone owners, because I can sell them pointless shiny electronic crap at exorbitant prices so long as it's white/has the Apple logo on it.
I'm glad I have a place in your heart.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Not what I would be doing if I were Bioware...

But they do what they do; I'm just happy if I get my Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

Jul 9, 2008
RebelRising said:

But they do what they do; I'm just happy if I get my Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.
Same here. It's odd, I love Mass Effect, but this doesn't interest me in the slightest. I probably wouldn't get this even if I had an iPhone (unless it turned out to have some vital plot clues).

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
orannis62 said:
RebelRising said:

Same here. It's odd, I love Mass Effect, but this doesn't interest me in the slightest. I probably wouldn't get this even if I had an iPhone (unless it turned out to have some vital plot clues).
I do have an iPhone, but, not unlike my cellphone, I hardly ever use it. I may download it just for the hell of it, but not when I'm looking at the latest ME2 wallpapers, drooling like I'm mental.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/downloads/

Jul 9, 2008
RebelRising said:
orannis62 said:
RebelRising said:

I do have an iPhone, but, not unlike my cellphone, I hardly ever use it. I may download it just for the hell of it, but not when I'm looking at the latest ME2 wallpapers, drooling like I'm mental.

Well, now that I know about those, I will be too. Seriously, nice!

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
orannis62 said:
RebelRising said:
orannis62 said:
RebelRising said:

Well, now that I know about those, I will be too. Seriously, nice!
No problem! ;)

Shintsu2

Apr 30, 2009
SODAssault said:
Trust me, I hate Apple with a passion. I amaze myself that I have it, yet no one else offered a phone quite like it.
Plays my music: Good!
Lets me talk on the phone: Good!
Lets me get on the internet (The REAL internet): Good! (Wifi, I don't pay for data plan)
Lets me use it as a sort of GPS: Good!

Really, I didn't buy it when it first came out either. I bought it second hand and have gotten great use out of it. It's saved me on campus from not being able to revise a paper my classmate emailed me but didn't show up to class with, it has enabled me to email people such as craigslist instantly with no fuss, I mean I have no complaints really. Could it be made by not Apple? Really lol, that's it.

I give Apple no credit for anything else, but the iPhone was something they did right. Now, do I think lots of the apps are stupid and a waste? Sure do (An app to find jobs for you? How about - look at the classifieds you lazy bum!). I have no games on my iPhone that I paid for, but that said my phone is Winpwned so I have lots of free apps and games on it I otherwise would not have. I can put real music ringtones on so ridiculously easily (even easier than my old Razr!) and I can change the options. It's touch screen, no stupid menus and buttons to mash to navigate. How can you sit there and criticise the iPhone?

FFS, you act like "OMFG, the battery will not last for 999.95 years ITZ TEH SUCKZ!" I use my phone every day, battery life is fantastic and I play music, videos, surf the web, talk on it, email, etc etc and I've never gotten below 50%. Sure, it's not as good as my Razr which had a record of going like a week and a half with no charge but it's not a pain to me. I plug it in daily to sync with iTunes. In real use, the battery will standby with me not using it for like four of five days - that's plenty to me. I dunno if you all plan to go on a mountain climb or something with your phone for it to be that big a deal *shrug*. I have a nice colorful vivid screen and a simple interface. If you like simpleton phones that consist of bleep and bloop go ahead, but I like all the features my iPhone has. It has come in handy countless times.

RAK, spoken like someone who uses a competitor's smartphone. Hmm, not a Palm as those things are so outdated anymore. I was tortured with using one for a few minutes and it's unnecessarily complicated just like a PDA - things I remember with my Razr as well. Heh, bad battery life...again, total BS spoken by someone who doesn't actually know. Bad hardware? Uhm...like what? Phone reception is good, sound quality is good, picture looks great, unit is very tough and durable, simple buttons - oh yeah, so bad...and software? Yeah, not following - the software is the easiest phone system I've used. Perhaps you should use one before you run your mouth about them.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an Apple supporter! If I could I would honestly take a new Mac (The more expensive the better), set it out at the gun range, and blow it up beyond recognition. I have never given a penny to Apple as every product I've owned they produced I have bought secondhand. I will never give them a penny either.

*phew* Long post! Don't bash the iPhone when it's the phone that everyone else copies now...and copies poorly I might add, the G1 is the closest I've seen to being near as good. I lol at the Blackberry Storm and their mentality "Hey, if the touchscreen keyboard makes clicking noises just like a real keyboard people will be able to type better on it! Yeah! WINNAGE!"

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Damn, I'd wish they'd hurry up and make a 64gb ipod touch, I really want one! Then I can buy these cheap shovelware games, that said I have just accidently bought a DS, so that'll keep me busy til then.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Mass Effect's too complex and full of depth to be accurately represented on the iPhone; I fear that this game is going to suffer from adaptation decay. It still has potential, though.