Prime Minister Runs Norway From His iPad

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Prime Minister Runs Norway From His iPad

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has demonstrated another use for the iPad - running a country.

When a volcanic cloud in Europe stopped flights, Stoltenburg was faced with a bit of a conundrum. Obviously he would not be able to get home right away, and even if he could, the cloud presented an immediate danger to his country that required his attention. Firing up his iPad, Stoltenburg proceeded to direct his country remotely, closing its airspace to mitigate the threat of the ash.

"There are good means of communication, I have close contacts with my office all the times, and there are a lot of activities in Norway where we try to reduce the consequences of the volcano in Norway," Stoltenberg said. "It's very normal for a PM to travel abroad so this is not different from the other travels, it's just lasts some days more than expected. We have the internet, the mobile phone. I also use an iPad, which is excellent."

In the digital age, it's amazing to see how far our technology has come, with a simple consumer product allowing a world leader to conduct his country's affairs remotely. However, for all our technology it seems we're still not able to completely surmount Mother Nature. Stoltenburg will be taking the long way home, flying to Madrid and then traveling back to Norway over land.

"I am afraid we won't be back before Saturday because I think most of our travel is going to be by car because the most of the airports in the Northern part of Europe are now closed," Stoltenburg said.

Source: <a href=http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/ptech/04/16/volcano.ash.norway.ipad/index.html?eref=rss_tech&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_tech+%28RSS%3A+Technology%29>CNN

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I bet that will do wonders for the iPad sales in that region.

As much as I hate Apple, this is kinda cool...

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
*Sniffs* Do I smell opportunity?

Either someone will hack it or someone will steal it and gain a massive amount of power in their hands.

I know some people who might even at that!

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Actually, the only thing I thought that was revolutionary was that Apple was willing to blow up a volcano to get this ad. What next? "Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a Fascist."

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
My immediate thought is...The Ipad can't run processes simultaneously...
So what will your obligatory complaint about it be after 4.0 comes out?

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Seeing as I'm Norwegian and all... The correct spelling is "Stoltenberg" not "Stoltenburg". Basically means "proud mountain". Sounds better/less horible in Norwegian...

Feb 13, 2008
Cryo84R said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
My immediate thought is...The Ipad can't run processes simultaneously...
So what will your obligatory complaint about it be after 4.0 comes out?
Obligatory is such a strong word. I just think that using technology to run people's lives was already covered in films like Terminator and The Matrix.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If thats not a great way to advertise your product I dont know what is!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I'm kind of surprised how calm europe manages to stay under something with such massive economic fallout. Had the wind been blowing the other way, all of the news would be spammed full with OMFGWTFBBQ SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!!1!! followed by an invasion of Iceland(sans planes ofcourse).

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
The iPad: bringing peace to citizens, one nation at a time...

No, seriously, only one nation at a time. It can't save two nations at once.