Gaming Legend Sid Meier and His 48-Hour Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gaming Legend Sid Meier and His 48-Hour Game

Sid Meier is known to some as the godfather of modern computer gaming, and it's a title he's certainly deserving of - as shown in a delightful mini-documentary where he enters a 48-hour game design challenge at his old alma mater.

[vbs ec=c1d2JiMTpfjO0-IMnwDKkZOgGG0dsja7 width=584 height=328 pl=http://www.motherboard.tv/2010/4/14/oral-history-of-gaming-game-godfather-sid-meier-and-the-48-hour-game]

Sid Meier is a man who certainly belongs in the pantheon of video game forefathers alongside other names like Shigeru Miyamoto, Will Wright, Nolan Bushnell and John Carmack. The father of Civilization and the Tycoon series, Meier's works have helped inspire hundreds if not thousands of would-be game designers - and that influence (and talent) is the subject of the mini-documentary you see above.

In the 23:37-long film, Meier returns to his old alma mater, the University of Michigan - where he was once almost kicked out of the computer science program for programming a Tic-Tac-Toe game on the giant punch-card-based mainframe - to enter the "7th Annual Wolverine Soft 48 Hour Game Design Contest."

Despite what the name may indicate, there are no mutants with a healing factor and metal claws involved. Instead, it's a two-day competition where aspiring coders and designers compete to make a game as quickly as possible, similar to the Worldwide Game Jam. Meier enters the contest both as a judge and honorary contestant - one of the students remarks how cool it is to have Sid Meier playing his game instead of the other way around - to test his skills, as he's never made a game in just two days before.

The documentary is directed by Juan Carlos Pineiro Escoriaza - the man behind the superb MMOG documentary Second Skin - which should give you a hint that it's well worth watching if you have half an hour to spare. Not only does Meier give us all a great look into the early days of the industry and what inspired him to make games, but it's just a really neat 48-hour story and worth a watch.

(Motherboard TV [http://www.motherboard.tv/2010/4/14/oral-history-of-gaming-game-godfather-sid-meier-and-the-48-hour-game])

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I may not play many of his games but I have huge respect for this man.

He is one of the founders of an entire new kind of media.

His story of how he got to where he is today is cool to, he started from the very bottom at the very start and became a legend.

May he make games for a long time to come.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
It's cool to see developers personally interacting with the community like this. Civ 4, I may add, is a great game, and I'm interested to see what's gonna be made in 48 hours.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I'm surprised by the difference in quality of games between Sid and the students. Especially considering there were 3 and it was only him. Sid's game is probably already at a decent enough quality to be released on XBLA!

It was an enjoyable watch though.

PMCervantes8994

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Wow I knew a lot of famous or influential people went to the University of Michigan, but this is the first I've heard of a video game designer(?) being a former wolverine.

As a side note Mr. Funk do you know if this contest is going on now? I didn't hear anything about it, which I find strange as I attend U of M, but then again I'm not in the engineering program.

Edit: Thinking about it that was a really stupid question. How could there be a documentary about it if it's still going on. Never mind.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
What a weird coincidence that there is a USM map from SC called "Escape from Zombie Hotel"

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
PMCervantes8994 said:
John Funk said:
Wow I knew a lot of famous or influential people went to the University of Michigan, but this is the first I've heard of a video game designer(?) being a former wolverine.

As a side note Mr. Funk do you know if this contest is going on now? I didn't hear anything about it, which I find strange as I attend U of M, but then again I'm not in the engineering program.

Edit: Thinking about it that was a really stupid question. How could there be a documentary about it if it's still going on. Never mind.
Hehe, yeah. Since this was the 7th annual it looks like a yearly event. They just probably don't have Sid Meier there every year to judge.

The original civilization was the first game that I ever pulled an "all-nighter" playing. You would start the game and before you know it 4-5 hours are gone. Very cool to see some of his background.

I love the "He must have a 'create game' button" comment. Heh.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now thats a great documentry. Sid meirs has always been one of my favourite in tenrs of strategy and such. <3 the Civilisation games.

Great to seem him still getting aboutt! Cant wait for new Civ!

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Ross Perot said:
if videogame developers had their own community, i'm sure this guy would be elected Meier.
That was a terrible pun. You should be ashamed.

Sid Meier is indeed amazing, however.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Great Documentory. Really fun to watch.

Loved the guy who made Mad Magician (The one with the curly hair) becuase of his quite funny remarks.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Wow before he was just Sid Meier that Civ dude but now its SID MEIER FOUNDER OF THE (gaming) UNIVERSE AS YOU KNOW IT!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
That was entertaining to watch. Sort of makes me wish I was good at programming. And I also was surprised to hear how early on Meier was making games. You don't often see people who were founders of a field and continue to be successful in it for it's entire existence so far.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
Ouch,my eyes.

Having to comprehend is not something I do well when tired.

On that note,I would of opted for more sleeping myself,a nights rest in a comfortible bed keeps me working efficiently.