189: ¡VIVA LA R3V0LUC10N!

Rob Zacny

Jun 23, 2008
¡VIVA LA R3V0LUC10N!

Martin Luther had his 95 Theses. Thomas Paine had Common Sense. But CheCalavera has something more ambitious in mind: the internet's definitive manifesto against draconian DRM.

Read Full Article

Beery

May 26, 2004
I buy games, and I only go to pirates to remove the DRMs that are constantly clogging up my system. I research before I buy a game, and if the DRM can't be removed I don't buy the game. I have never played a pirated game in my life, so I don't see why I should pay to have some company crack my computer and install spyware on it.

There are plenty of other good games out there. Heck, there are even good games by people like the folks at Stardock who don't believe in DRM. It's not like we HAVE to buy Spore or Bioshock or any of the other DRM-packed games.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
See, I don't mind DRM on my consoles as long as the game is functioning.

But on a PC, people send personal emails, they check their bank accounts and pay bills, they have photos and private documents like CVs.

Who wants an unknown programme that could be hacked to steal that data. Or even if an unscrupulous company on employee steals that data. What if the decide they want to watch what I'm doing, measuring my usage? To me that's just too much of a risk so I WONT buy that game, I will vote with my feet.

Personally I'm that that bothered, I have an awesome firewall that controls all network connections, no application can connect to the internet without my say so. Even piggybacking other programmes can be seen.

If a game requires a constant internet connection to be played then that is ridiculous. Moreover, good luck taking it to court. It will be difficult to submit the evidence to a court, in the UK at least. It's not as simple as waiving your right to privacy by default when you play, that would be an easy point to defeat.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
while i understand most of what you're saying and agree with it, i have to ask. What then, gives you the right to pirate these things? No one has asked you to play the game, if it looks like an interesting game but there's drm on it, while then you have to deal with it. No matter how much it sucks, those developers spent months if not years of work on their game. What gives you the right to simply say " Well fuck your rules, i'm just going to pirate your game!" ? No matter how you justify your actions, it still boils down to this. You want the game, you dont want the DRM ( nobody wants drm ). You cant get the game without the drm unless you pirate it and basically give a finger to the devs who deserve the money. What do you do here?

What gives you the right to take away the other person ( the devs ) right to release the game however he wants? Apple sells their products at 80+% profits, what are you going to break into an apple store now and scream " I DONT WANNA PAY 3000 BUCKS FOR A SHITTY COMPUTER! " and proceed to steal the ipods and imacs there?

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I wonder if he set himself on fire.

At any rate, the whole point of this can be simply said by bill hicks although I'm getting his line completely out of context. "You pay, you get screwed over, get it for free and you're rewarded". Or something on the lines.

Nov 5, 2007
nekolux said:
wApple sells their products at 80+% profits, what are you going to break into an apple store now and scream " I DONT WANNA PAY 3000 BUCKS FOR A SHITTY COMPUTER! " and proceed to steal the ipods and imacs there?
He'd probably do it and then set himself on fire.

And damn : "Maybe pirates are more discriminating about what they buy. Did anyone ever consider that maybe the rise in piracy is related to how much today's games suck? It's a well-known fact that no game made after 1998 is any good."

Yeah, I stopped to take that seriously after this.
You are not some kind of freedom fighter giving the finger to a corrupted government that kill innocents, steal from the poor and censor everything. It's companies that, OH MY GOD THE HUMANITY, want to make a profit. Does CheCalavera even works or does he sits on his ass all day long playing pirated games.

tempro said:
Fun fact: Gaming is not a human right.

incrediblegeek

Feb 17, 2009
I got Crysis: Warhead for Christmas, brand new in box.

And it couldn't connect to the internet to unlock the game.

So I had to crack a game that was legally purchased because the publisher's DRM didn't work.

So I just don't play games with that sort of DRM anymore, because it's not worth it.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
tempro said:
Fun fact: Gaming is not a human right.
Of course it is, though playing video games is not.

You have a human right to entertain yourself so long as it does not hurt anyone. For example, you can play catch, even if it's just in your mind.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
If the idea of a separate program phoning home scares you I hope you don't have Punkbuster installed (try reading their EULA...).

As I always say, if you object to a game (whether its DRM or quality) don't buy it but don't pirate it either. People pirating the game instead of buying make the publisher think that by applying stronger DRM he could regain those users because the users have insufficient willpower to actually boycott the product and still need their fix so by removing their option to get their fix for free they'll come crawling back desperate for the next product. It's a shallow protest to say "I don't like what you're doing so instead of buying your product I'll just perform an illegal act with minimal chances of any punishment to get your product without paying you." A boycott is showing to a company that them doing X is worse to you than you not getting their products, a boycott by copyright infringement is pretty much having your cake and eating it too.

Besides, that quality argument is utter garbage, if they really suck so much then why are you downloading them?

And a hunger-strike over DRM? It's a ####ing luxury good and you're acting like you're facing fascism?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
What a hilarious piece of satire! Very hilarious.
People can get bent so out of shape over things like DRM, and it's good to see writers taking a humorous approach to the 'Anti-DRM fanatics'.

Made me chuckle.

Pavitra

Mar 28, 2007
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the right answer to DRM is a boycott, not a hunger strike or self-immolation.

You wouldn't download those "FREE WALLPAPERS!" that you know are full of viruses, but that doesn't mean you can't have a picture on your desktop -- just get your wallpapers from someone who respects you. Likewise, if you don't want to install a game that's full of spyware, then just get Nexuiz or Wesnoth instead.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The real stupid thing about DRM, one that isn't mentioned in this article, is that in addition to making it harder for legitimate customers to play the game, it doesn't do shit to stop the pirates.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
christ i stopped reading half way through, i have done this magical thing of having 2 computers and a console, one is for work two are for games. the machine that is for work has the net while the computer for games oes not and if i want to play online i boot up the trusty ol' console. There problem solved and no 'revolution' needed just logical thinking.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
"Who, then, is the criminal here? The man who commits a crime to feed his family DRM-free gaming, or the man who forces that first man to commit the crime?

The second man, that's who. The crime-forcing man is the true criminal."

Hahahaha... this was mint. I imagined an impoverished looking woman in a gingham dress chowing down copies of Half-life, while kids underfoot only get the scraps (The Sims with audio / textures ripped out to save disk space). Then dad comes home with a huge box full of fresh new Sharpie-d up copies of Fallout 3, and everyone goes to bed happy.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
DRM really doesn't help the game companies, it hurts them. I really want to play Spore, but I don't want the DRM on my machine. I don't like dabbling into pirated stuff either, because that can get me a virus. But if I can't run my game while running Process Explorer, then I don't want the game (The Sims 2 refuses to run now if Process Explorer is running, which I find very fishy).

Honestly, I think this guy is right, but I don't know if a revolution should really rise up around this.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
You know, I can't help but wonder if people these days would read A Modest Proposal and think that Swift was actually advocating the eating of babies.