189: ¡VIVA LA R3V0LUC10N!

swift tongued

Nov 13, 2007
beddo said:
tempro said:
Fun fact: Gaming is not a human right.
Of course it is, though playing video games is not.

You have a human right to entertain yourself so long as it does not hurt anyone. For example, you can play catch, even if it's just in your mind.
A- Tempro, high five. I actually did laugh out loud on that one.

B- Define hurting somebody else Beddo. Everything potentially hurts somebody else. I mean when you're playing catch with yourself, you could be hurting some other kid who doesn't have a catch partner because you won't share the fun with them. You're hurting the person who invented catch by removing the socialization and hand eye coordination required to play and there by corrupting the spirit of the game. Finally you're hurting the ball manufacturer by first acknowledging his product and then refusing to use it, prefering to just imagine the ball's existence. To quote Assasin's Creed, "Nothing is true and all things are relative."

C- I seriously couldn't tell if the guy who wrote this article was being serious or not.

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Damn the guy is hilarious... He's right about a few things, but he seriously need to chill out. Sure, it's not good that the game companies knows all we do, but no one's going to take him seriously if he's hysterical, which he is.(Unless he's being sarcastic, in which case, he's awesome.)

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
This was so funny, I'm amazed that many didn't realize it was satire....
*holds hand up and looks sheepish*
I did get slightly confused by the comment about no game after 1998 being good, but I just took that as a sign to lose all credibility in the author.
Having had it pointed out that it's satire, it makes a lot more sense...

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
From reading the posts above, I'm not 100% sure whether he's serious or not, so I'm going to act as if he is. Ranting is more fun than making a comment saying nothing more than "Lmao!", anyway.

Actually, I really can't take this seriously whether it was written seriously or not. The sheer hilarity of some guy acting as if he's fighting Nazism while talking on the subject of DRM is briliiant, especially the part where he suggested Valve (and in turn, Steam) would collapse and he would laugh at all the people who relied on it and bought things from it.

tempro said:
Fun fact: Gaming is not a human right.
My view exactly. And while Free Speech is a human right (and no, not just in America), posting on forums isn't.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Holy god, this article was hilarious.

I agree with this guy wholeheartedly, and that's why I do the same thing as him.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Baby Tea said:
What a hilarious piece of satire! Very hilarious.
By far the most funny thing to come out of all of this is the people who aren't quite getting the joke. Only a few obvious ones here and there, but they make my day.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
sneakypenguin said:
This was so funny, I'm amazed that many didn't realize it was satire....
I agree. But there is a lesson to be learned here. Just read the comments of those who thought that article was dead real. It's kinda funny and sad at the same time.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
No good games after 1998? I do not believe you on that. Sure a lot of games DO suck, but I like a handful of games.

oneofm4ny

May 27, 2007
Nice parody.
Especially naming Stardock with all the other big publishers:
There's millions of gamers like me who refuse to buy games from companies like Activision, EA, Take-Two, Ubisoft, THQ, Microsoft, Valve, Stardock and many others.
Stardock doesn't use any kind of DRM ^^

mrmantis

Feb 9, 2009
This is honestly one of the most poweful pieces of writing i have ever read!!! I 110% agree with what your saying!!!!

I've been waging my own personal war on DRM games, as they are a invastion of privacy and a utter anoyance!

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Hey, it might be satire, but it's the best kind of satire -- where 90% of what it says is the complete truth (and the other 10% is just added for comedic effect).

Soulreaverm

Jan 15, 2009
I'm scared by how many people seem to be taking this article seriously.
OR ARE YOU ALL TRYING TO TROLL ME?
I dunno.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Article said:
Remember that quote about Nazi Germany? "First they came for the communists, and I said nothing because I was not a communist." It's the same situation with DRM. I'm not even kidding. I've studied history, and the parallels are eerily similar.
Haha, brilliant. Thats all I can say, except that its worryingly close to how some people act.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Funny thing about this, is that it is TRUE. DRM actually does force us to copy things. I have an original copy of FarCry2. Installed it, only to discover a very freaky bug while playing it (too freaky to describe, it would need pages upon pages).

Initially I figure "typical for sweet old Ubi" and start looking in forums for a solution and contacting their on-line customer service (as if that would ever work...)

A week later and after playing countless hours trying to work around the bug and after reading countless posts and comments about the crappy DRM FarCry2 employed I get an epiphany... I search for a crack that would bypass the DRM, install it and PRESTO!!! the game worked fine. So I had an original copy of the game, playing it with a pirated .exe because it simply would not work.

The worse case of DRM though was Half Life 2. Bought it when it was first out, but didn't have an internet connection at the time. Way back then you would think that they would include an alternative to installing the game, but no... I owned the game for 2 years without being able to install it, unitl I had an internet connection and actually play the game for the first time.

On a good note, I now see a lot of games that make a point in having no security system whatsoever. At some point the industry will have to realise that security systems will never work in this internet era. Someone will crack it and upload it, possibly even before the releease date...

The true response to Piracy is good value for money and a compeling package. I would offer Orange Box as the perfect example, but it does have that fascist Valve registring system.