Will Wright Inks TV Deal With Science Channel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Will Wright Inks TV Deal With Science Channel

Will Wright has signed on for his second television deal in less than a month.

The creator of many popular videogames, from Sim City to Spore, is now going to be developing a new television show for the Science Channel. The show is different from his other television deal, The Creation Project [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99512-Will-Wright-Working-on-a-TV-Show], where fans are said to create the show's storylines.

Wright's Science Channel series will not be quite as interactive, but is planned to have an interactive component and online tie-ins. It'll cover topics like time travel, the future, parallel worlds, and why people drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

The Science Channel is trying to get away from purely science-based programming and to expand into the world of creativity. It went to the right man in Will Wright, who is often considered one of the most creative minds in the videogame industry.

"Gaming is a rich and compelling way to tell a great story," Wright said. "I am so excited to bring that mind-set to TV projects." Fans of Will Wright may have a new way to fill their DVRs in the near future.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i3d82e5b089623802e8be4b9b0905064d]

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
That picture of him screams: "Game development is serious ass shit."
Really? What I get from that pic is him telling us to bow to him...

OT: Well this should be interesting.

I just wish I got the science channel...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Well, since Discovery Networs are the only networs I watch anymore, I will probably see this.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Interesting....Apart from making one of the most popular franchises of all time he has always striked Me as very passionate about being creative.

TheLoneSeeker

Your Towel
Feb 8, 2010
I just hope its not like Spore; sounds awesome in concept but will be wildly disappointing.

I really hope it does well though, since Will is such a passionate and diversely talented part of gaming history.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Admittedly, I'm looking forward to his first show more, but I'll still give this a look.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Someone seriously needs to edit "The Internet is Serious Business" into the picture.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sparrow said:
Admittedly, I'm looking forward to his first show more, but I'll still give this a look.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Someone seriously needs to edit "The Internet is Serious Business" into the picture.
Someone did.

Twitch33 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
[http://img122.imageshack.us/i/willwright.jpg/]
AWESOME!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, looks like ghe is really wanting to get out there with some publicity.

Good on him, looking forward to seeing what happens.

Also lol at the picture

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Sure that picture looks awesome, but he's not on a duck.

Calumon: Game Develob...Demelop...making is Serious Busima...Busona...Stuff!

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
"Gaming is a rich and compelling way to tell a story."

This coming from the guy who, not but a year or two ago, was saying that games should NEVER be used to tell a story.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I love the science channel, they show the science and engineering behind things. I love to know how the world works and some amazing feats of engineering. If they go away from that, then it not worth watching anymore.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
"Gaming is a rich and compelling way to tell a story."

This coming from the guy who, not but a year or two ago, was saying that games should NEVER be used to tell a story.
He was saying that games should never tell the players a story. There's a difference.