Illinois Man Faces Murder Charges for Slaying Fellow Gamer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Illinois Man Faces Murder Charges for Slaying Fellow Gamer

Virtual headshots lead to real headshots, as an Illinois man is charged with slaying an acquaintance with whom he had been playing videogames.

28-year-old Illinois resident Joseph Johnson was charged with first-degree murder last week, after he allegedly murdered Danny Taylor earlier this month.

According to police, the two had been playing a multiplayer Xbox game -- sources claim it was most likely Call of Duty -- with the mother of Taylor's child. An argument broke out between the two men, and when the woman momentarily left Johnson shot Taylor in the head.

The unnamed woman then witnessed Johnson fleeing the scene carrying a gun.

In a particularly morbid bit of journalism the Chicago Sun-Times [http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1545049,w-x-box-game-slaying-042609.article] says the woman then "went inside and found Taylor -- with the joystick for the video game still in his hand -- dead and the game still playing."

As if Microsoft's console ought to learn a bit more reverence for the dead, by at least pausing the action when a player catches a bullet to the brain.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
It's obvious that Johnson guy was already planning to kill Taylor. Else, why would he bring a gun along (Yes, I'm assuming that he brought the gun with him, not that the object randomly laying around at Taylor's house). He was just looking for an excuse to use an "easy solution" to fix a problem.

Now instead of "blaming videogames" or Call of Duty, I hope the investigators find out what kind of relationship, and what kind of problems/issues these two had with each other.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Yah I have that problem too, when I'm killing people in RL (I do it all the time because of video games) the game that provoked that murder doesn't pause, which usually results in me dieing while I'm busy wiping the blood stains off my shirt.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
DamienHell said:
Yah I have that problem too, when I'm killing people in RL (I do it all the time because of video games) the game that provoked that murder doesn't pause, which usually results in me dieing while I'm busy wiping the blood stains off my shirt.
I just played rapelay, want to go gang rape some school girl together [/ awful joke]

On a more serious note, if people are really, not saying they are at the moment, going to blame this crime on CoD4. Wow, the media needs to start doing it's job PROPERLY.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I think this was more about the woman than the video games, but the media will scream "video games cause violence" until our ears bleed.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
cainx10a said:
It's obvious that Johnson guy was already planning to kill Taylor. Else, why would he bring a gun along (Yes, I'm assuming that he brought the gun with him, not that the object randomly laying around at Taylor's house). He was just looking for an excuse to use an "easy solution" to fix a problem.
I don't think you can assume that dude. Johnson is an ex-con, and urban Chicago is a rough place. People carry guns, and people have bad tempers. Combine the two and you have a recipe for a bullet to the brain.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
cainx10a said:
I don't think you can assume that dude. Johnson is an ex-con, and urban Chicago is a rough place. People carry guns, and people have bad tempers. Combine the two and you have a recipe for a bullet to the brain.
Only a bad hypothesis from my -cough- lacking detective 'skillz', nothing else =D. But nonetheless, it's a tragic incident.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
another inch on the proverbial stick. Right now I could use it to poke the fucking Klingon homeworld its that long.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
cainx10a said:
DamienHell said:
I just played rapelay, want to go gang rape some school girl together [/ awful joke]

On a more serious note, if people are really, not saying they are at the moment, going to blame this crime on CoD4. Wow, the media needs to start doing it's job PROPERLY.
Yah I can't wait till the SAW game comes out :D

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
DamienHell said:
cainx10a said:
DamienHell said:

Yah I can't wait till the SAW game comes out :D
Not a fan of torture movies, but yeah, I see what you mean there. Now psychos and sadists obviously are being influenced by the game. > . >

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I'm so very very confused. Did he actually murder him, or did he just kill him in the game? My brain refuses to work...

Jul 9, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
As if Microsoft's console ought to learn a bit more reverence for the dead, by at least pausing the action when a player catches a bullet to the brain.
I don't think that's what they were saying. They were only saying something that's absolutely true; walking in on someone dead with CoD playing right in front of them would be fucking creepy, if nothing else.

throwitinthetrash

Apr 15, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
pvtchunders said:
Jack Thompson won't need his ED medication for another month. =\
Truer words have probably never been spoken.
Unless they were words like "Jack Thompson is a vulture and a dickbag."
Ahhh! You said dickbag! I blame M-rated games like Bioshock and Dead Rising that don't have a single annunciation of the word in them!

And we all know that his dick is constantly erect speaking evil things to him. We just can't notice it.