Dragon Age Pre-Order Bonus Boosts EXP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Dragon Age Pre-Order Bonus Boosts EXP

Dragon Age players eager to get ahead of the curve might want to consider plopping down a pre-order for the game at GameStop, as the bonus is an in-game item that boosts the rate at which you gain experience in the game.

GameStop's gotten pretty nefarious with its pre-order bonuses [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88477-Killzone-2-Demo-Is-Pre-Order-Only-In-US] in recent months, notably turning demos (what ever happened to "try before you buy") into commodities purchasable for no more a five dollar down payment.

Demos are one thing, but things that actually have impact on the way a game plays? That's a whole other story.

If BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins is like most role-playing games, experience points are something you're going to want lots of and lots of fast to go far in the game. So, want to have the advantage when it comes to EXP in Dragon Age? You might want to look into pre-ordering [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72850] the game.

When you pre-order Dragon Age at GameStop, you'll receive two in-game items. The first one is the "Memory Ring," which "allows your character to accumulate experience points at an accelerated rate and therefore level up more efficiently." The second is another ring that is "supposed to help apprentices retain their lessons."

Maybe these items are eventually unlockable in the game regardless of pre-order, or maybe the unlock codes that pre-order customers will receive when the game ships will be sharable. Either way, is there something a little bit disconcerting about spending money to have an advantage leveling in a role-playing game, or is it just me?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I tend to hate these promotions. If they would have included some art, collectibles or other goodies then fine, but something that alters the way the game is played is just too much.

Ah heck...someone will upload a patch anyway that unlocks these items for the poor souls that need them (similar thing happened in Drakensang). I myself like earning my EXP.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I only want the collector edition with a nakid version of that bride elf chick!!!!!!111.
Yes, I was already planning to play the part of evil governor who will kidnap that poor she-elf on her wedding day. -Puts on a lawful evil smile-

Although, I just hope that even D2D will have a special pre-order version. It's a good thing though, as giving extra goodies might reduce piracy, and well, sell the goods faster?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I can't think of a way in which these bonuses wouldn't seriously alter the way someone would progress through a game.

I'm sure BioWare chose to have the player level up at a certain rate to keep the game - you know - balanced?

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Yeh I am preordering too as it looks like a great game, but I won't use the items, I would rather level slower and savor the game. It's not like your competing against others online, so you don't need to get ahead, just enjoy the game.

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
I think I'll still pre-order it, but probably won't use the rings until I'm on a second or third character.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Keane Ng said:
Either way, is there something a little bit disconcerting about spending money to have an advantage leveling in a role-playing game, or is it just me?

I for one don't have any problems with these.

I could see the argument being made for a multiplayer game, which actually use these kind of pre-order bonuses quite frequently, but it's a single player game. You are not competing against other players. If Jimmy down the street is leveling 1% faster then you are, it not unbalancing your gameplay in the slightest.

They are also not technically purchasing these rewards. That 5 dollars goes to buy the game regardless, but that's arguing the significance of the pre-order purchase.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I feel the opposite as most posters here. I'm supremely aggravated by multiplayer games, especially competitive multiplayer games, that offer accelerated XP as a pre-order/collector's edition bonus. Those of who wanted to--I don't know--wait for reviews, or see if our friends were getting it, or wanted to rent the thing first or whatever don't get to enjoy the multiplayer aspect as much because servers are populated by day-one adapters who are pumped up by such powerful weapons and perks, and they stomp all over us. That is upsetting game balance.

For single player games, however: so what? The only person affected by the experience is you. If you want to level up faster, big deal. If you want instant access to higher-powered weapons, big deal. If a lifetime of playing video games has taught me anything, the AI is going to sit on their "I Win" button anyway. And no, this is not be complaining about hard games: this is me complaining about games that are unbalanced against the player.

I'll probably pre-order this game, and I'll probably use these bonuses. It's not like I'm going to be using my ill-gained uber-leetness to pwn human players and then tea bag them, after all.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
What's the point of preordering to get an XP boost when, most likely, if you're that desperate, you can probably achieve the same thing with just a couple of console commands or *gasp* maybe even a simple .ini tweak somewhere?

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
I'm definitely gonna pick this game up, but if that's all that comes with the pre-order then I won't get that

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It not really an unfair advantage, since you can't play online against people, last time I checked. I'm cool with it.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
9of9 said:
What's the point of preordering to get an XP boost when, most likely, if you're that desperate, you can probably achieve the same thing with just a couple of console commands or *gasp* maybe even a simple .ini tweak somewhere?
I guess it feels more legitimate to use actual in-game items.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
9of9 said:
I bow before your logic, Data Cowboy. *bows*

This sort of thing is in really bad taste, and I hope the gamer feedback is so bad that it ends the trend sooner than later. But GameStop doesn't seem to care what most of us think, given the sales volume they do with casual gamers, so it probably won't.

But like the great post I quoted, in the end, cheats fix all...

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
level250geek said:
9of9 said:
What's next, a £5.00 DLC that unlocks the Helm of Godmode? XD

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
9of9 said:
level250geek said:
9of9 said:
What's next, a £5.00 DLC that unlocks the Helm of Godmode? XD
That's not *quite* the same thing. The gear given with this is a bonus for the pre-order. You're not paying an additional cost for it; that $5 you put down will go toward the purchase price of the game.

What you are talking about is an additional cost added onto the game, and it is also full-out cheating. Again, you're only altering your experience--and not upsetting any kind of multiplayer balance--but what the Dragon Age gear offers is essentially a buff, not your own personal win factory.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I remember when I bought Ultima games, and they came in big boxes, with various goodies. That wasn't even for a pre-order, just the standard game. /whine

Is this offer available everywhere? As I'm in the UK, I wonder if I'll be able to get this bonus?

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Isn't Dragon Age a single player game? If it is then surely it doesn't matter, its not like it'll give people who pre-order an unfair advantage over other players.