Activision: New Sledgehammer Call of Duty Will Broaden Audience

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision: New Sledgehammer Call of Duty Will Broaden Audience

Activision is claiming that Sledgehammer Games' upcoming Call of Duty game will broaden the audience for the series.

Sledgehammer was founded by the former heads of Visceral Games - creators of Dead Space [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73598] - and is the latest studio tasked with working on the Call of Duty series, and according to Activision COO Thomas Tippi, its upcoming title will get a lot more people interested in the series.

"Today, we have three studios working on Call of Duty ... most recently, we've added Sledgehammer in the Bay Area. We haven't yet announced the content of their game, but it's going to be an innovative take that will further broaden the audience for Call of Duty."

Tippi also reiterated that Infinity Ward was still central to the Call of Duty franchise, despite the recent wave of resignations and said that "the change of guard will provide an opportunity for some of the rising stars to put their own stamp on the Call of Duty franchise."

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/04/activision-infinity-ward-call-of-duty-lawsuit.html#more] via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/19/new-sledgehammer-cod-title-will-broaden-the-audience-says-activision/]

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
is it ironic that when Activision took the head of Visceral Games, EA took the head of infinity Ward.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, considering how badly IW screwed up MW2(I'm going by what people have said) I'll give them some slack. I doubt the games will ever go back to their previous quality though.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
The audience is already too broad!

I can't say I'm looking forward to this.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
"This time, Swords for those Fantasy Lovers! Even though they would be worthless against guns!"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont understand how they are going to make any more broad than it already is...

Seemsl ike a pretty redendent statement

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
to be read: Activision is turning Call of Duty into farmville.

Housewives and grannies will want to play it

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
but Cod is already more popular than even ice cream. How is it possible to broden the audience of one of the most popular franchises in video games and what is the point. On a side note I did not like MW2 that much.

I_B_Ready

Dec 18, 2009
MetalMonkey74 said:
to be read: Activision is turning Call of Duty into farmville.

Housewives and grannies will want to play it
Naw... Call of Duty Wars. facebook exclusive.

has a nice ring to it.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Hazzaslagga said:
but Cod is already more popular than even ice cream. How is it possible to broden the audience of one of the most popular franchises in video games and what is the point. On a side note I did not like MW2 that much.
Yeah, this.
On another note, how exactly is the setting of a game supposed to broaden a game's audience?

I suspect the Infinity Ward crisis will have a drastic effect on the next game they develop. Think the Sports Interactive / Eidos split, those of you who know what I'm talking about.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
MW2 sold better than chocolate eggs on the eve of Easter, how could it get any more popular? Oh no, I think I know what they're naming it...

Call of Twilight: Modern Farmville?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Ninja'd ... by MetalMonkey74 :p

3 studios working on 3 seperate CoD titles, doesnt sound like a milking operation does it.

Call of Duty : Supplying the Forces
A novel take on the award winning and popular franchise, this title takes a look at behind the scenes and shows how the food that the soldiers eat gets to thier stomachs and fuels thier heroic endevours.

Tackle the daily chores of the brave and devouted farmers that grow the food required by our armed forces, these devouted souls battle nature and time to ensure a bountifull harvest to stock the warehouses of the nation.

Features include
- Vehicles ( Combine Harvesters, Tractors and many other agricultural vehicles)
- Weather simulation
- Soil erosion and deformation
- Fractured Fuzzy logic Manifolded Critter AI , enemy critters will respond to your yelling
- Dx 11 Tessalated crop models
- Eyeinfinity tested panoramic view of your farm.

Game will be availble soon (and you can use this hype to fertilize your own vegitable garden).

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
Hahaahha that would take the Napoleon's concept of "An army moves on it's stomach" to a whole new level...

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Furburt said:
Broaden audience?

Read: Dumb it down, remove anything good or interesting about it, exploit it to the ground, rip people off, and generally treat loyal customers like dirt. Mark my words.
They've already done that with Modern Warfare.
And now they've added a studio with no shooter experience. I really can't see any problems with that...