Learn to Properly Season McDonald's Fries on Your DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Learn to Properly Season McDonald's Fries on Your DS

Now we can see in motion how McDonald's is training employees to properly season fries with the Nintendo DS.

About a month ago, McDonald's revealed its plans to train Japanese employees using the Nintendo DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99338-McDonalds-Training-Employees-With-Nintendo]. Now, Bloomberg has produced a report on the new method that shows the fast food chain's DS training game in action.

But before i get into that, I just want to ask: why is it so hard for people on the news to pronounce videogame technologies properly? The woman here seems to have no clue, calling the Nintendo DS "the NSDS or something?" It makes her look plain foolish. Would you call the iPod the zPong? No. Fire that woman, Bloomberg.

Ranting aside, we can now see that players of the training software, called eSmart, have to assemble burgers, cook fries, and learn how to properly clean a workstation. Though it looks easy, Bloomberg's more informed correspondent says that you must get all of the steps correct or it won't "let you shake your fries" and such. Working at McDonald's is apparently getting more complicated lately, and the training software is meant to ease the pain of learning.

A representative from McDonald's says that those training on the DS learn twice as quickly and can concentrate more on communication and confidence skills rather than worrying about messing up a McRib all day. The other cool part about the training is that it's apparently played on a McDonald's-branded DSi, which I'm sure is really neat to any kids in the McDonald's family.

I feel like this type of program would really help someone like me as I learn better by doing than reading or being told. It's also quite nerve-wracking when a manager is standing over your shoulder and whipping you with a switch when you leave the fries in for too long. eSmart would help to teach the exact steps that go into each McDonald's activity, but without the consequences of a yelling manager or irate customer. On the other hand, maybe those should be part of eSmart as well, to truly prepare employees. If Ronald McDonald called me a stupid s**t every time I made a mistake, it would be more like a real day at McDonald's.

(Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5520108/the-mcdonalds-nintendo-dsi])

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
The NSDS? This is why we aren't learning.

Edit!: Wait a minute...I really have to grab it with my fingers? Where's that stylus.....

hansari

May 31, 2009
*Sighs*

Whatever happened to learning through example?

I mean I worked in fast food one time (the horror), and I doubt a game is gonna depict the surge of heat that strikes your hand when you toast a bun, or the sweat of rush hour, or the cold hitting you in the chest when you stay in the freezer for just a few seconds looking for something...

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
So, apperantly all Japanese McDonaldsemployees are retards and gameaddicts...

It's come this far. We no longer need actual meat to teach people to make a burger (if mcdonalds even qualifies for the term "burger"). Let's also teach people plumbing by PS3 and brainsurgery by Wii!

(Oh, wait Nintendo tried brainsurgery and failed)

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
NSDS? Where has that woman been for the past 5 years? Whatever happened to learning through example anyways? The Nintendo consoles have been letting themselves down more and more as of recently.

Incidentally, what if there was a situation like say, a fire? I can't imagine the DS simulating that very well "tap with the stylus to extinguish the flames!". Yeah, thats why this whole "Learn through video games" idea is going to cause more problems than solutions AND wouldn't it cost more to buy these DSi's and games rather than to simply show the worker how to do it?

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
hansari said:
I mean I worked in fast food one time (the horror), and I doubt a game is gonna depict the surge of heat that strikes your hand when you toast a bun, or the sweat of rush hour, or the cold hitting you in the chest when you stay in the freezer for just a few seconds looking for something...
If you had been in 'Nam, your war memoirs would have been an amazing read. Hell, you make working at McDonalds sound like a best-selling thriller.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well. I wonder how much use it will actually be...

There is no replacing going out there and doing the right thing...heh, lots of money on a fancy toy at the very least

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow unbelievable. OMG she called it the NDS because apparently she doesn't know everything about everything like the rest of you.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Video Games work in teaching and retention proven in study after study. You can find it funny and not take it to serious, but it is coming; not just to McDonalds, IT IS COMING IN ALL FACETS OF CORPORATE TRAINING for a ton of industries. IBM has three divisions just on creating games for businesses and much more. I've talked with leading serious games leaders, I've see what they are making, and it is coming.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
If they make Ronal McDonald look like IT, and have him yell at them for making a mistake everytime, they'll probably learn three times as fast...

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
But before i get into that, I just want to ask: why is it so hard for people on the news to pronounce videogame technologies properly? The woman here seems to have no clue, calling the Nintendo DS "the NSDS or something?" It makes her look plain foolish. Would you call the iPod the zPong? No. Fire that woman, Bloomberg.
It's not a flub. They can read an auto-cue with the best of them. No, it's a scripted moment. It's telegraphing to the Bloomberg audience, "Don't worry! We're not geeks!"

It's offensive in that way.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BlindChance said:
Tom Goldman said:
It's not a flub. They can read an auto-cue with the best of them. No, it's a scripted moment. It's telegraphing to the Bloomberg audience, "Don't worry! We're not geeks!"

It's offensive in that way.
That's how it seems to me too.

nutgear

Mar 31, 2010
OMG I NEED A Mc RIB now you cant just talk about McRibs and not offer GLuB one... GLuB will be fiending for days now :(