Miyamoto Wants to Make Games Forever

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

He may be nearing his sixtieth birthday, but Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't think he'll ever stop making games.

Shigeru Miyamoto is one of the giants of the gaming industry, but now nearly 60, he's starting to think about retirement - more specifically, how he never wants to do it. Miyamoto has been with Nintendo since the late 70's and has no plans to leave any time soon.

"I am one of [Nintendo's] workers and the company has to retire me some time. So from that perspective, yes I may have to retire from Nintendo some day," he said. "But when I look around and see how aged cartoonists continue to work on their manga and how movie directors create new movies all the time, I understand that they would never retire."

"And by the same token," he added. "I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."

Source: GamaSutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28153/Nintendos_Miyamoto_On_Competition_Retirement.php]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Well his job is keeping him looking young. its like my Shop Teacher once said: "do what you love and you never work a day."

Edit: And yes he will still be getting my munny.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
News just in!: Nintendo starting work on Miyamotorobo, A perfect, mechanical replica of Miyamoto to store and maintain his brain so that future generations as far the year 4000 can play the same four Nintendo games, again and again.

Although in fairness to the guy, if he genuinely enjoys his job enough to never want to stop, then I hope he manages to find a way.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."
I bet you this guy will become the Jay Leno of gaming?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
... I want his Shirt.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it, and it's always nice to hear of someone who loves their Job that much.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I hope he continues to make games, even if he retires i hope he will remain in the process.

He is one of the few people who i truly respect in the Game industry, throughout all the time he has been with Nintendo he has stayed true to himself.
He has been a great example to others in the industry and he really cares about his games and the people playing them.

Here is to you Miyamoto-san(raises glass), and to another 60 years of Games!

(i still cant get over how old he is, he looks like he is still in his 40s!)

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
I hope he continues to make games, even if he retires i hope he will remain in the process.

He is one of the few people who i truly respect in the Game industry, throughout all the time he has been with Nintendo he has stayed true to himself.
He has been a great example to others in the industry and he really cares about his games and the people playing them.

Wait, he's seriously that old? I mean, it makes sense, but... still.
Anyway, Miyamoto pretty much owned my childhood, and that's a trend continuing well into my teen years and probably twenties as well (Who am I kidding? I still haven't 100% completed Galaxy...). Miyamoto makes addicting games, and I'll keep buying them.
I like his games more than my brief run with crack at any rate.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well good for him. It's rare to find a job you're both good at and love doing. Keep up the good work Miyamoto!

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:

He may be nearing his sixtieth birthday, but Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't think he'll ever stop making games.

"And by the same token," he added. "I guess I will still be making games somehow. The only question is whether the younger people will be willing to work with me at that far point in the future."

Source: GamaSutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28153/Nintendos_Miyamoto_On_Competition_Retirement.php]

Be willing to work with him? I figure people would kill to work with him.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
... I want his Shirt.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it, and it's always nice to hear of someone who loves their Job that much.
go to hot topic, i see them in there all the time.

OT: He has a good dream, and i like that.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
It's great to hear that someone has such a passion for their work like this. I hopehe keeps making games, and if he does, I'll support him.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Brain_Cleanser said:
Gigaguy64 said:

Wait, he's seriously that old? I mean, it makes sense, but... still.
Anyway, Miyamoto pretty much owned my childhood, and that's a trend continuing well into my teen years and probably twenties as well (Who am I kidding? I still haven't 100% completed Galaxy...). Miyamoto makes addicting games, and I'll keep buying them.
I like his games more than my brief run with crack at any rate.
Yep, not quite 60, he is 58 years old.
And yea, Nintendo was the only games i had as a kid and i loved them.
ill probably stick with Nintendo till i die, i actually hope i can give my old systems to my Kids/Grandkids someday and show them how much Gaming as Evolved because of people like him.
(as soon as im done talking they would probably go back to plying their completely 3d games on Nintendo's Console that you wear.)
:p

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Go to hot topic, I see them in there all the time.
Where do you think I got my Bioshock 2 shirt?

I may detest the place itself, but it tends to have a decent selection of Game-Based apparel.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Triggerhappy938 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Be willing to work with him? I figure people would kill to work with him.
If i ever got into the Game business i would be lying if i told you i wouldn't consider it...
._.
What?

Heck id do just about anything just to meet him.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
This just made my day... evening... whatever.

TheNumber1Zero said:
... I want his Shirt.

Holy crap! I have that shirt!