250: Hooked

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Hooked

There is very little that we know about life under the sea compared to above the waves, but that is perhaps what captivates us about the ocean depths. A game which defies genre definition, Endless Ocean: Blue World, attempts to translate that fascination and Nova Barlow gets lost in its abyss.

Read Full Article

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
it sounds like a fun exploration game (and I like those, although the 'puzzle then exploration' genre is even more fun for me. ie: Myst)

Sillyiggy

Jun 12, 2008
I kind of have a school girl crush on Attenborough.

*queues Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, and Life in the Undergrowth on Netflix*

*swoon*

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
It really is a soothing game, there's so much to explore and swim around it can put completionists off track, but then on a game where you are supposed to chill out and enjoy the ride it doesn't really matter.

I remember when I was showing off this game to a group of friends, we usually gather up in a group of 5ish and everyone plays a bit with anything we got access to and one in the group wanted to try. Me and the other person who were interested in the game were having a blast on the first sect of the game, until at least we couldn't ignore the rest of the guys mocking the game for not getting what it was all about.

For a medium that's supposed to take you anywhere you wish it sure needs to break some boundaries.

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
I don't want to sound sad, but I wish I had a WII so I could play this. I have been obsessed with the ocean for as long as I can remember (being obsessed with the BBC documentary Blue Planet as I am) so this seems like an amazing and awesome idea to me.

I would love to play this game sometime... *sigh*

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
It looks like something you could just sit back and relax to . . . which is infact a good thing if you think about it

-M

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A lot of people don't realize that the ocean, once you get far enough from our safe, familiar shores, is a friggin' alien world full of creatures unlike anything you'll find in the shallows, let alone on land. Lauren Admire's "Science!" column has several times touched upon the strangeness you'll find several thousand feet below the surface, and it would be awesome if a game like Endless Ocean gave us the option to peek at a virtual recreation of it.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I played Endless Ocean (the first one) on recommendation from a friend. I found it to be very relaxing and the exploration aspect was really fun. It was like Tomb Raider, but without the the combat :)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hmmm sounds interesting, before when I heard about this game I was intrigued but other games distracted me, mayhaps now I should get it especially since its priced to sell

Nibiru

Apr 5, 2010
After reading this article, I start to feel bad about laughing at the trailers that I saw on the Nintendo Channel. I am really interested in playing it now, since I have never experienced a truly relaxing game.

However, didn't the new Endless ocean include a online mode, where you can draw stuff in the water in order to communicate with your friends? If so, I can imagine the tone of the game to suffer from players drawing genitalia under the water's surface :O

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Nibiru said:
After reading this article, I start to feel bad about laughing at the trailers that I saw on the Nintendo Channel. I am really interested in playing it now, since I have never experienced a truly relaxing game.

However, didn't the new Endless ocean include a online mode, where you can draw stuff in the water in order to communicate with your friends? If so, I can imagine the tone of the game to suffer from players drawing genitalia under the water's surface :O
Yes it has, however the orientation of the game take any potential genitalia joker away from it.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
I know this article is really old, but I figure that since it's one of the featured articles at the bottom of the escapist's home page, it's fair game.

I've always loved the ocean; I remember back as far as second grade making this underwater scene with all these fish I loved. I eventually earned my diving license, and have been able to enjoy scuba diving ever since. (It's amazing.)

As soon as I saw the first Endless Ocean game, I knew I'd pick it up. I really did enjoy it. It's great to explore and in my experience, despite a comment this article alluded to, reminds me very much of the places I've dived in many ways. Sure, you can dive way deeper in the games and stay there for insane amounts of time, and if you ever surfaced as fast as I'd make my character you would surely die, but the shallow water dive spots hit home. The colors are right, I was right away recognizing some of the fish (and learning the rest), and having a lot of fun.

So basically: not only is this game great, but in many ways I think it actually resembles the true experience.