Will the 3DS Arrive in Time for Christmas?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Will the 3DS Arrive in Time for Christmas?

Rumors are circulating that the 3DS will be released much sooner than Nintendo have been letting on

When is the Nintendo 3DS being released? The official word from Nintendo is sometime before March of next year, but according to sources in the UK, it's coming much earlier than that, perhaps even as early as October of this year.

"It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early," said a publishing executive.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

If the rumors are true, then the 3DS will be competing with Natal and Move for your holiday cash, which should make for a very interesting fight.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/20/rumour-nintendo-3ds-out-in-october/]

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I also hope not. I mean yes it would make sense from a sales standpoint but on the other hand Nintendo has had a Sony-esque streak of cranking out slightly different versions of the Nintendo DS.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im still a littleo n the fence on how its going to work...but, as long as someone like me with the lazy eye can play...im game!

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Is it me but if you got the DS two minutes ago you are fucked cos now their is a new version of it.

OT:How are they going to make it worth getting i wonder, i mean will a Mario 3D be that impressive.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
coxafloppin said:
I hope not, i mean...Wasnt there a new DS out not so long ago?
Well yeah..but at the end of the day, it's still basically a DS, which was released in 2004.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
This is a completely new product, new hardware, new generation, it's not an iteration of the DS. Looks pretty interesting but I'll wait for the PSP2 before making my decision.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I really hope not. Then the new Pokemon game will be released to outdated hardware.

Calumon: So Ratata's are now gonna jump right out at me? :s

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Perhaps they felt the DSi XL would only be ancillary to actual sales (hence no resolution fixing), but you'd think they'd at least wait to milk the whole "options" angle for a while right?

My theory; they let the cat out of the bag so early, they felt waiting a whole year (when the interest had died down) would be counterproductive. After all, Nintendo blew the MotionPlus' launch for half a year before the rest of civilization cared. The time wasn't even well spent moving the upgrade because it only had one decent game and loads of "deciding it wasn't right for them".

Now Sony and Microsoft (mostly Sony) are getting people worked up and both the media and developers are going "oh yeah... that" if Nintendo's 1-1 solution is brought up against their foaming over how wonderfully Move and Natal will "change everything". Well played, M+ could have pre-emptively conquered the market so hard neither foe would even try this generation, but instead it became a premature blip worthy of Sega's hardware snafus.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
If they do, I think it will be a mistake, at least in the western hemisphere. They JUST released the DSi last April and people who upgraded from that to the XL are already being taxed a bit much. Conversely, if they release it in Japan, then there's no big deal from what I understand.

I don't really care so much either way since I don't buy first generation DSes (I have a lite and an XL). Nintendo is going to have to prove to me that all their additions are viable, comfortable, and integrate well, AND provide software to back it up. Historically, they took too long getting the MotionPlus into peoples' hands, so that doesn't bode well for them at all.

(Tangentially, they still have to release some seriously good stuff on the DSi shop as well.)

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Catkid906 said:
I really hope not. Then the new Pokemon game will be released to outdated hardware.

Calumon: So Ratata's are now gonna jump right out at me? :s
or they could be released on the 3ds. its already been reported on this site that the pokemon company had there hands on the next ds. dont be suprised when its announced.