Rumor: Liara DLC Coming to Mass Effect 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Liara DLC Coming to Mass Effect 2

There's a rumor going 'round that Liara T'soni, the blue-skinned biotic who was too busy to come along for the ride in Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278528653&sr=1-1], will turn up in a future DLC release.

Liara was a big help in saving the galaxy in the first Mass Effect but when it came time to do it again in the sequel, she'd already made plans. In the years between the two games, she'd become embroiled in some kind of intergalactic slap-fight with the Shadow Broker, the secretive - some might even say shadowy - buyer and seller of information. Apparently, getting a little payback is more important than, you know, ensuring the continuation of life as we know it.

But according to Kasumi [http://tehpwnage.com/xbox-360/news/214-next-mass-effect-2-dlc-to-feature-liara-shadow-broker.html] were found long before BioWare acknowledged her existence.

When contacted, EA said only that it doesn't comment on "rumors or speculation." Fortunately, I do, so let's get to it.

Liara's history in the intervening years between Mass Effect 1 and 2 was apparently explored in the four-issue Mass Effect: Redemption [http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect:_Redemption] comic series but remains a complete mystery to those of us who didn't bother reading it. There's obviously a lot of potential there for some very solid DLC; on the other hand, having already established that the Shadow Broker is a character on par with the Illusive Man hiimself, the prospect of Liara replacing him in a two-hour DLC release seems a bit too breezy.

Is turning the near-mythical Shadow Broker into just another goon and then bumping him off in a glorified loyalty mission doing a disservice to the character and the game? Or are we so happy to have Liara back in the crew, and perhaps the sack, that we don't care about such things? I was never much of a fan of the character, but if bringing another biotic aboard means I can finally blow Jack [http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/squad/subject_zero/] out an airlock, you can count me in.

The hidden audio files can be heard, spoilers and all - you've been warned! - on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSNdH6PBTB8&feature=player_embedded].

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
The fact that you want to get rid of Jack of all people really has me wondering about your well-being.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
I was going to say that of all the ME1 characters to bring back, Liara is a weird choice, but I guess she's actually the only one left. Garrus and Tali returned, and anyone who played ME1 knows the other three aren't guaranteed to be, ahem, available. Still, though, this rumor doesn't really thrill me unless I get the option to make a sexytime with her, which I probably won't given how the treatment the other two BioWare DLC characters have gotten so far.

On a side note, Final Fantasy XIII's story became much more enjoyable after I found out Lightning was voiced by the same actress.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I never really liked Liara in the first one, she seemed too naive. She then went and became evil (well, she didn't seem very nice at least) so I can't say that I look forward to having her as a crew member again.

Don't get me wrong, the character isn't bad, I just wasn't fond of her; then again I don't particularly like Miranda or Jack either.

Can we have Mass Effect 3 now please?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'd love to see Liara come on-board, but they better save the Shadow Broker for ME3. Only an entirely new game could do him justice imo.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I wonder... if you imported a female Sheppard that had a relastionship with her (I know you could), would that continue into this Mass Effect 2 DLC?

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Fappy said:
I'd love to see Liara come on-board, but they better save the Shadow Broker for ME3. Only an entirely new game could do him justice imo.
I was wondering if Liara's loyalty mission would involve the Shadow Broker, but that's too big a plot thread to have resolved in a DLC that most people won't play. But you're right, they need to develop this at some point.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh.. I know she's a favourite of some, but she's not a favourite of mine. I was perfectly happy with her leaving me alone and taking a desk job in ME2.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Not exactly suprising, though I didn't actually think they'd do it. She said she needed 'several years' to track the Shadow Broker down, so I figured I'd get to help her fit him into that coffee (asari drink coffee?) cup by the time ME3 is released. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this rumor, because I honestly don't want to see that resolved in one to two hours, just like that. Not to mention, how will this end work with people not getting/buying the DLC? Those people are going to be one giant questionmark when ME3 rolls out.

And even if it turns out to be true, where do we fit her on the Normandy? Kasumi already got the spot I had reserved for Liara.

Dec 14, 2009
But... but... then she'll know about Tali and Shepard. I don't want to sleep when there's a scorned biotic god on board.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
So that's it huh? All we get in DLC are loyalty missions? Count me out, I have no use for anyone else now I have finished it.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I won't be gouged and pecked by these cheaply made cash grabs. They can have my cash when their DLC (if any more really is coming) is either worth the money, or when all o these are released in some sort of fairly priced set.

In all honesty, I'm really amazed people are so readily willing to have their pockets picked by poorly made tack-ons like these DLC adds and map packs.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Surely the Shadow Broker has been played up far too much to appear in DLC that quite a few people won't play?

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
So if she does join through DLC then she must be a temporary resident of the Normandy otherwise where is she going to stay as there is no other open cabins on the Normandy. She could sleep with Shepard if she was the previous romance but what if she wasn't?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
The fact that you want to get rid of Jack of all people really has me wondering about your well-being.
Why would this cause you to question anyone's well being?
Jack is a horrid character IMO and I wanted to take Grunt's advice concerning getting her on the ship.
I almost get the feeling when laying out her character they set out to make the most aggravating and antagonistic (not to mention ugly) ally imaginable.

Really I find no redeeming qualities to her character...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
LiquidGrape said:
I can't even go into the basement of my own ship without that crazy ***** screaming at me to "fuck off!"

Seriously, the Krogan is better behaved than she is.

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
I doubt she'll actually be a squad addition, even if there's a DLC centered around her. Not in ME2, at any rate.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I can finally blow Jack [http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/squad/subject_zero/] out an airlock, you can count me in.
Why bother? Just ignore her loyalty mission and send her to do the Biotic field.

Bye bye Skinhead O'Connor!