Boy Sees Boobs in Comic, Tells Mom, Mom Tells News

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Boy Sees Boobs in Comic, Tells Mom, Mom Tells News

A ten year old boy in Utah was shocked to find pictures of naked ladies in a comic and so was his mother. So shocked in fact, that she went to the press.

When ten year old Sheldyn Conley opened up his "Superhero Comic Book Spectacular" - a collection of comic books that his mother had purchase for him at a local dollar store - he wasn't expecting to see nudity and graphic violence from the outset.

The young boy was so surprised that he ran to tell his mother, who contacted ABC4 [http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/10-year-old-finds-naughty-comic-book-at-dollar/Gjmbss-Ii0Ctc7PSv48FiA.cspx], who sent someone to the store to get some answers. Reporter Annie Cutler went to the Dollar Tree store and spoke to the manager, who responded "Uhhh, oh my gosh," and proceeded to pull the comic collections from the shelves.

The comic in question was an issue of The Spectre from its run in the late 80s, a run meant only for adults. It's a pretty big slip-up to put a comic like that in collection described as "family friendly", but if you watch the coverage - which you can by clicking here [http://io9.com/5520739/boy-finds-boobs-in-comic-book-reporter-goes-to-1-store-for-answers] - it's interesting, and more than a little pleasing, how little people seem to be freaking out about this.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5520739/boy-finds-boobs-in-comic-book-reporter-goes-to-1-store-for-answers]

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Har har har

If I were him I would hae kept it secreted under my bed and had special times :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alright, so being 10 he may not care about the tits (cartoons don't do it for me anyway) but what sort of 10-year-old boy turns down ultra violence?!

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Well, let's not blame the comic book world here. Blame the stupid retailers, they're the ones who didn't see that it was adult comics.

dsmops2003

Sep 23, 2009
You have to understand Ogden Utah is right next to Salt Lake City which is the heart of Mormon country. To them that shit is offensive.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The good news out of this is that this kid probably ISN'T one of the thousands online screaming swears and insults at people. Sounds like the store's slip-up for classifying stuff like that as "family friendly" but go to the press first? I would've gone to the store first.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
The mother is a fool, at least briefly scan the content to be sure what you are buying is actually child-friendly.

Either way, I am glad they haven't sued the store for it.
Especially given the skeleton with a scythe right on the cover.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wow... Kind of the opposite to what I would have done at his age, if you had gone forward a year. I don't remember when I started getting into that sort of thing.

Calumon: ...Moving swiftly on!

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
Well, the comic book was from the 80's. It was intended for a mature audience, and the mother should at least flip through it before buying.

But once again, it's from the 80's. No wonder people aren't making this a big deal, what would be done about it?

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
My uncle gave me some comics with boobs in them, and where a fat woman exposed her vagina. I was ten, so was suitably disgusted.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
When will people ever learn that if something isn't for children and even tells you so on the cover or box, it really means it's not for them?

All this media-driven insanity is starting to grow tiring.