Modern Warfare 2 Enters Guinness Book of Records

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Enters Guinness Book of Records

MewTwo has entered the record books on the back of its amazing first day sales.

We all know that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74392] sold amazingly well on its first day, but exactly how well is pretty staggering. The confirmed first day revenue from the game was over $400 million dollars, eclipsing the takings of major Hollywood blockbusters and adding nearly $100 million to the previous record held by Grand Theft Auto 4. MewTwo's unprecedented sales have even earned it a place in the Guiness Book of Records.

"Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years," said Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition Editor, Gaz Deaves. "The day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."

"The fan movement and hype surrounding this game in the run-up to launch was almost unprecedented in scale; we acknowledged early on that the big question wasn't if it would break all-time entertainment records, but rather by how much," he added.

Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling was magnanimous in victory and gave much of the credit to the millions of Call of Duty players around the world: "This achievement is a reflection of the support from our community of fans around the world," he said. "The Call of Duty series and Modern Warfare have been our passion - we've dedicated our lives to giving our best, so it's an honor to be recognized by setting a new standard among all entertainment properties."

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/21/modern-warfare-2-makes-401m-in-first-24-hours-wins-a-guinness/]

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
In my opinion, most undeserved record ever- oh wait... "Fattest person" etc... Still, Surely other games are far more worthy of it than MewTwo?

Darkstar370 said:
So... how's that boycott goin'?
And yes, we realise the Boycott failed, but still, it's trying that counts isn't it? Hmmm... :\

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Darkstar370 said:
I wasn't even aware that there was a boycott, so it obviously didn't do all that well.

OT: Think what you like about Activision/Modern Warfare, but a strong showing such as this will do wonders for gaming's authenticity as a media form in the eyes of at least a few dissenters.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Makes me feel even better about the fact that I don't own a copy of this over hyped game..

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
The CEO of Activision must be sleeping on a pile of money at night...

It wasnt even that good in my opinion.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
MaxChaos said:
Darkstar370 said:
I wasn't even aware that there was a boycott, so it obviously didn't do all that well.

The boycott was doomed to fail since the start:
http://kotaku.com/5403286/what-modern-warfare-2-boycotters-are-playing

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well congrats to the guys at Infinity Ward they earned it.

Now lets wait for the Bad Company 2 fans reactions.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
why was it boycotted?
and i too am mildly happy that i do not own a copy

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Darkstar370 said:
Pretty good, bitches don't get my hard earned money for bad multiplayer experience.

Although I was never a big fan of the franchise anyways.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
when I first read "MW2 enters book of records" I really thought it was going to have something to do with highest percentage of cheaters/glitchers or something to that effect.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I eventually bought it mostly due to its massive popularity and the fact that I apparently want to smoke cigarettes in the bathroom in my leather biker jacket with a popped collar and 30 pounds of gel in my hair. Where was I going with this...

Oh right. But I bought it months after it came out. These numbers are just in the first few days... and people wonder why companies are so gung-ho to make sequels. It's because fans will buy it like hotcakes made of gold.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Well congrats to the guys at Infinity Ward they earned it.

Now lets wait for the Bad Company 2 fans reactions.
Yeah well... Um... Screw you MW2! BC2 is only for teh 1337

In all seriousness I think this is a great achievement for Modern Warfare and Infinity ward... Though this still won't stop them being eaten alive by the monster that is Activision.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Okay so they've taken most earned on release date...

Anyone know who holds the record for most units sold ever?

Mario? Zelda? Commander Keen?

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
The Undoer said:
In my opinion, most undeserved record ever- oh wait... "Fattest person" etc... Still, Surely other games are far more worthy of it than MewTwo?
More worthy than MW2 of being entered into the Guinness book of records for highest number of sales?
No. MW2, whatever you say about it, has the highest number of sales for any videogame launch ever so no, there is no game more worthy of that particular record.