Moore Defends Tyson on Fight Night Box Cover

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Moore Defends Tyson on Fight Night Box Cover

Fight Night Round 4 [http://www.easports.com], saying he's on the box because "he's one of the greatest boxers of all time."

Moore was asked in a recent interview with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-sports-peter-moore-interview_3] if he was "comfortable" with Tyson, who was convicted of raping Desiree Washington in 1992 and spent three years in prison as a result, being on the cover of Fight Night Round 4 alongside Muhammad Ali. Moore said he understood that people might have "issues" with the use of Tyson's image, adding that he eventually made the "hard choice" to put him there because of the respect Moore has for him as a boxer.

"He is on the cover of Fight Night Round 4 because he's one of the greatest boxers of all time," Moore said. "He's on the cover because what our fans have told us and the feedback we got since Fight Night Round 3 is, what is the ultimate boxing match you would want to see if you could take a fighter in his prime versus another fighter in his prime? And overwhelmingly it's Iron Mike Tyson - the Mike Tyson I remember as a kid out of New York - versus Muhammad Ali in his prime."

When asked if there was anything an athlete could do to preclude his use on a videogame cover, Moore pointed toward recent scandals involving star baseball players who have been caught using steroids. "There's a period where performance-enhancing drugs were not tested for, or the testing was kept private and so there is clearly a large percentage of baseball players from a particular era that used performance-enhancing drugs," he said. "And many of them have been exposed, some of them have admitted to it, and it's really difficult to pick through all of that. Athletes are human beings. You look at some of the decisions we have to make and they're not easy to make, so it's a case-by-case situation for us."

Equating steroid use with rape may be outrageous but in terms of athletic legacy, which I guess is what Moore is getting at, only one of the two really has an impact. Tyson is a rapist and an inveterate scumbag but throughout the 1980s he was also the most dangerous man in the ring, well deserving his moniker of "the baddest man on the planet." If his actions had tainted his accomplishments as a boxer - if he'd used stimulants during a fight, illegally taped his fists, paid off opponents - he'd never have made the cover. But since he's only tainted as a human being, he gets a pass.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'm not quite sure how to feel about this. I understand the point though: in boxing terms alone the man was a legend. But isn't there someone else they could have picked?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Interesting logic there, being a rapist doesn't tarnish a sporting career. If it was traffic violations maybe, but rapist?

It's an insult to Ali to put him up there on the cover, are EA insinuating he's no better than a rapist? Do they even think that far ahead?

retro himself

Nov 14, 2007
I really don't get it. He was a star when I was young (the 1990ies), and everyone knew he was a rapist back then, so why get upset now? I mean, it's been 17 years. And he's been featured everywhere since then.
He's still a boxing legend, and even has a few games about him (most noticeably Mike Tyson's Punch Out), why all this controversy now?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
It's logical. He may not have been a good guy, but he was a good boxer. It's a game about boxing, so you have good boxers on the front of it.

Were the game "Outstanding Citizen: Role Models" I might have raised multiple eyebrows, but here it doesn't really make sense to get all crazy about it.

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
It's logical. He may not have been a good guy, but he was a good boxer. It's a game about boxing, so you have good boxers on the front of it.

Were the game "Outstanding Citizen: Role Models" I might have raised multiple eyebrows, but here it doesn't really make sense to get all crazy about it.
I'd buy that game.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Kinda makes you wonder if Nintendo could bring Tyson back into Punch Out...

Perfect cover: A rapist fighting a muslim. Now all we need is George W Bush in there.

OblivionRegained

Nov 13, 2008
Im a huge boxing fan and Fight Night Fan, and whoever thinks its "an insult to Ali to put a man as depraved etc... on the cover with such a legend" thats bullshit, i recently watched a documentary on the the build up, the fight itself and fallout of the "Thrilla In Manila" between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, it depicts Frazier as the down to earth, family man type of fighter that he was, a downright good human being, Against a cocky, overconfident, arrogant Racist. Thats Right all! Muhammad Ali was Racist against his own people, calling Joe Frazier an "Uncle Tom" and "The White Mans Champion" Muhammad Ali as far as im concerned was a disgrace.

Anyone who needs to resort racial slurs, invading someones gym and attacking him with chairs while verbally abusing him is someone with a serious problem, bring this all together and add to that the fact that Frazier should have won the fight makes me sick. Oh and also we see that everyone talks about Tyson being a rapist etc, Ali wasnt much better, fair enough he didnt rape a girl we know of, but the disgraceful affair he had with Veronica Porsche makes for good reading. All in all anyone defending Ali should take a look and read up on Ali etc.

The Hypocrites who all jump on the Ali the legend bandwagon should really feel like chumps.

P.S. Im not a huge Tyson fan, he was a great boxer, but he eventually got surrounded by the backstabbers and snakes who drained him of his money, thus precipitating his Bankruptcy claim in 2003. Hes a genuinely good man who made the mistakes everyone makeS.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Kinda makes you wonder if Nintendo could bring Tyson back into Punch Out...

Perfect cover: A rapist fighting a muslim. Now all we need is George W Bush in there.
*blinks*
*reads cover*
Its... True...

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
|[ said:
Kaneda1007[]|]P.S. Im not a huge Tyson fan, he was a great boxer, but he eventually got surrounded by the backstabbers and snakes who drained him of his money, thus precipitating his Bankruptcy claim in 2003. Hes a genuinely good man who made the mistakes everyone makeS.
I think I'd take issue with being labelled a convicted rapist as some sort of umbrella term for something "everyone" supposedly does if they are a "genuinely good man". I think Evander Holyfield might be a little more pissed off than Joe Public about that though.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Why should it be a hard choice to put Tyson on the cover?
The Tyson vs Ali thing is a major selling point for the game, I think even the website is named after it.
All the people that feel 'uncomfortable' couldn't have missed the point further. I only thing I fell 'uncomfortable' about are people like that.