Red Faction Movie Coming to Syfy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Faction Movie Coming to Syfy

THQ has joined with Syfy to produce a two-hour television movie based on Red Faction [http://www.redfaction.com/] which could also serve as a jumping-off point for a new series.

Earlier this month, talked [http://www.thq.com/] about incorporating the Red Faction franchise into "the most robust trans-media plays anybody's ever seen in the games business," a strategy which would include the development of a movie based on the games. True to his word, a movie deal has been announced, but it may not be quite as "triple-A" as we expected.

Instead of hitting the silver screen, the Red Faction movie will be coming to the small screen thanks to a deal with Battlestar Galactica [http://www.syfy.com/] remake.

Red Faction is "a great fit for a big Syfy Saturday movie," said Alan Seiffert, senior vice president at Syfy Ventures. Syfy is also working to bring its television properties to the game space, starting with a version of the reality series Ghost Hunters Academy [http://www.syfy.com/ghosthuntersacademy/] for the Nintendo DS, iPhone and iPad. "Both Ghost Hunters and Red Faction are great examples of how we are absolutely committed to [gaming], and it is going to be more than just taking the name, it is going to really be part of the overall experience."

My original plan was to sneak in a few snide zingers about low budgets and cheezeball made-for-TV movies, but the more I think about it, the more I think this is a smart idea. Aiming lower has a way of tempering expectations, which can't hurt, but more the point, Syfy has proven in the past that it can really kick things into high gear when it has to; just look at Battlestar for proof of that. And on the more cynical side of the coin, it's not as though big budgets and theatrical releases have done a hell of a lot of good for any other game franchise out there, is it?

Source: Broadcasting & Cable [http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/451861-Syfy_Expanding_Video_Game_Business.php]

bew11

Nov 11, 2009
Great another cheesetastic movie by sifi "syfy" (i think the name change is stupid) only this cheesefest will be based on a videogame.
OOOOO JOY!!

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Sounds interesting, but i don't hold out much hope for it considering; for one thing, the game isn't exactly renowned for its plot, and for another thing... It's a movie about a videogame.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
bew11 said:
Great another cheesetastic movie by sifi "syfy" (i think the name change is stupid) only this cheesefest will be based on a videogame.
OOOOO JOY!!
Yeah, I can only imagine it will be bad...I hope they dont murder the already fairly tarnished nae of RF...its having a hard time in the mud as of late

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Seems cool. It's definitely a good thing for videogames, especially if it turns out to be really good. But who knows, chances are it will suck.

And on a side note, I didn't think Doom was that bad of a movie game, although it had little to do with the game itself. (and that First Person part at the end was AWESOME!)

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
bew11 said:
OOOOO JOY!!
The movie that spawned the Stargate series was pretty good... though it actually was in theaters.
As for their series... Farscape and Babylon 5 were great.
Though I will agree that the name change was bloody stupid.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Syfylis will get it wrong. It will be crappy, alienate their original audience and further show that their executives are idiots.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
all original movies on Syfy are god awful. Words cannot describe the horror, its not the good horror either.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
SyFy will screw it up, as ever. They screw up everything they've ever been given, it doesn't matter how good the material is- just look at what happened with The Andromeda Strain. Battlestar only was free of SyFy's taint because SyFy wasn't as directly involved in its development.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Let me check my list.

Red Faction's world = dull and derivative.
Movies based on games = generally bad.
Movie going straight to TV or DVD = also generally a bad sign.

Is it possible that all these could mix together and create some kind of retarded prodigy?

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
Oh no. No no no no.
They're going to crush what precious little Red Faction has going for it!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Another movie based of video gaming? Hmm, I hope gaming and cinema/television culture don't get too integrated. I don't want to see Hillary Duff or the Jonas Brothers in my next big budget FPS.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
TheDoctor455 said:
bew11 said:
OOOOO JOY!!
The movie that spawned the Stargate series was pretty good... though it actually was in theaters.
As for their series... Farscape and Babylon 5 were great.
Though I will agree that the name change was bloody stupid.
Problem is, Stargate the movie had exactly nothing to do with 'SyFy' and the first five seasons of SG-1 were made by Showtime.

The majority of Babylon 5 was made for PETN and the last bit of it was made for TNT.

Farscape was like Stargate in that started on a different channel, Nine Network in Australia I think, and then brought over after season 1.

So, of the purely 'SyFy' creations that can be claimed we have: Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe and Battlestar Galactica.

Now I'm not saying that anything they make based on Red Faction is going to be BAD, far from it. But they don't have the far reaching pedigree that is given them sometimes and frankly most of their 'SyFy Original Movies' are lemons, so I'm hesitant more than anything else.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've seen enough Syfy original movies to know this is probably a bad idea.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I hope it's about Mason's hammer. An epic tale of how he leaves the hammer for a shiny railgun, only to return once he realises that the hammer is his one true weapon.

And has a sub-plot about the EDF trying to hire a builder who won't rip them off and build everything out of plywood.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Well that's a good idea, aiming low.
On the other hand, Battlestar had talented actors, amazing writers and the best for-tv special effects I've ever seen. So best not to compare yourself to something so good this fast.

Branches

A Flawed Logical Conundrum
Oct 30, 2008
I seriously hope this is some sort of sick joke, And with that if it is, I really hope this is a sick joke with good writers...Becasue i swear, I can't bare another aborted child of a video game "Movie" or "Back-door pilot" Especially for a franchise I really used to like.