Is Shenmue Coming to XBLA?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Is Shenmue Coming to XBLA?

Leaked images hint that one of the Dreamcast's most loved games might just be coming to Xbox Live Arcade.

Sega's 1999 adventure game Shenmue is something of a cult classic, and leaked images hint that it might be making its way to Xbox Live Arcade. The image in question, which you can see here [http://img25.imageshack.us/i/berkleyii.jpg/], shows something called "Project Berkeley II", which seems to have a picture of Shenmue protagonist Ryo Hakuzi's head as an icon.

Can this be considered proof? Not by a long shot, after all, it's not even clear if it's actually genuine, but is it outside the realms of possibility? Not at all. Sega has recently reorganized to better handle digital distribution, and it has plenty of classic titles to draw on, so there's certainly a chance we'll see the game on Live Arcade.

This one is getting filed under rumor until there's a more than just an obscured image to go on, but it's still fun to think about getting a chance to play one of the most loved games of the last generation without having to bust out the retro consoles.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/image-hints-at-possible-xbla-shenmue]

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Please.. Please..
More people deserve to experience the magic that was Shenmue [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=376aU2U42U0].

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
If true, my feverish brain tells me this may be a way to gauge interest in a sequel. Hey, I can dream!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Hey this sounds like that 'Jet Radio Radio for the 360' rumor I read on Gamefly.

OT: If its true, then I like to play this game. I hear many great things about it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Wasn't Shenmue what killed the Dreamcast? (thats what I heard on this video that discussed the dreamcast) also I bet in a few seconds someone will post a thread saying "Shenmue is coming to XBLA" because thats what happened with Marvel vs Capcom 3, the first thread said "Marvel vs Capcom 3 a rumor (or something" and then when I wen back to the homepage then it said "Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the making"

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Wasn't Shenmue what killed the Dreamcast? (thats what I heard on this video that discussed the dreamcast)
Shenmue didn't kill the Dreamcast, not by a long shot. It was a combination of upcoming consoles[footnote]Read: The Playstation 2[/footnote] that did.

Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Why just the 360? Isn't coming out on just the original Xbox what killed the series' sales in the first place?
It came out on the Dreamcast.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Hey this sounds like that 'Jet Radio Radio for the 360' rumor I read on Gamefly.
I would prefer this rumour to be true. I'd still buy Shenmue if its released, but prefer Jet Set Radio.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Irridium said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Why just the 360? Isn't coming out on just the original Xbox what killed the series' sales in the first place?
Shenmue II came out exclusively for the original Xbox AND Dreamcast as well. What really killed Shenmue was the fact that it cost $70 million to make and you'd have to buy two copies per Dreamcast at the time to turn a profit.

Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Irridium said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Shenmue II came out exclusively for the original Xbox AND Dreamcast as well. What really killed Shenmue was the fact that it cost $70 million to make and you'd have to buy two copies per Dreamcast at the time to turn a profit.
Huh, didn't know that.

Then again I didn't get an xbox or even notice it that much until Halo 2, so there's that.

But I did know about the ridiculous budget.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It would be epic if it did. I never got a chance to play it and I wish I did...so this could answer that problem!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
I might be flamed at, but what exactly is this game and what was so special about it people are humping it for the sake of nostalgia?

No offense intended, if anyone can inform me, quote and reply please.
Shenmue is a game, simply, like no other.

Don't get me wrong - it's pacing is slow as shit, and I don't think anyone who's play it will dispute that for a second. It is done in the name of realism.

It is a game that crafts such an immerse and vibrant world. The attention to detail (to the point where you can enter stores and browse through them looking for things to buy) simply makes the whole game come to life. There are no fast-travel stations, when you are at work - you work. When you leave your shift, you take a bus and walk back through town, up the hill to your home. You start to feel as if you are not just playing a character in this world, rather, that you are a character in this world.

It's not for everyone, but it is a game everyone should try.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Irridium said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Irridium said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Huh, didn't know that.

Then again I didn't get an xbox or even notice it that much until Halo 2, so there's that.

But I did know about the ridiculous budget.
Yeah the budget was huge because they thought the Dreamcast was going to out outsell the PS2, so the financially planned for 2 more sequels. That was nail in the coffin #1. Nail in the coffin #2 was them selling the exclusivity rights to Microsoft. Everyone but Sega didn't want to be the Japanese company that supported the North American console. Nail #3 was them canceling the North American Dreamcast version of Shenmue 2. Sega really fucked that one up.