The Ring to Get 3D Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Ring to Get 3D Sequel

The grand-daddy of Japanese horror movie remakes is returning to theaters, this time in 3D.

Way back in 2002, The Ring [http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Widescreen-Naomi-Watts/dp/B00005JLTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278526962&sr=1-1] was doing a pretty good job of scaring the bejeezus out of cinema-goers, and made enough money to warrant a sequel - titled The Ring Two - in 2005. But critics slated the movie, it all went quiet on The Ring front.

That is until now, with the announcement that a third Ring movie is to be made, titled Ring 3D. Hideo Nakata, director of the first two Japanese Ring movies as well as the American made sequel is said to be directing, but nothing is confirmed in terms of cast or plot just yet, except a rumor that the movie will be more teen-centric than the previous outings.

I must admit to being in two minds about this. A teen-centric, 3D horror movie seems like a pretty big departure for the series, but on the other hand, one of the creepiest images from the first movie was the sight of the utterly drenched Samara crawling out of the TV, and that could look awesome in 3D.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/04/paramount-moving-forward-on-third-ring-film-in-3d-exclusive-.html]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
What is it with all this 3D...the new big thing...shame I can never partake due to my eyes...

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Oh God 3D!

Now it's so much better!

Now you can get eye strain, along with your pointless crappy cash in!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Why? I mean, it's not like the first two films were actually, you know good. And the last one wasn't profitable... why inflict this upon us?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Please... Not the ring... It was fine how it was... Leave it alone!

Calumon: Ring a Ring Roses! A pocket full of... Jack, your nursery rhymes are kinda depressing...

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
It could be a truly terrifying horror movie.

Or it could be completely generic and shit.

£5 on the latter.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
oppp7 said:
I thought 3D died out years ago.
I always lose those glasses...
You clearly haven't been to the movies recently. There has been like 8 movies at the theaters with 3D since Avatar. They aren't the red and blue glasses though, if those are what you're talking about.

OT: I really hope they don't call it The Ring 3D. That's like condemning it to mediocrity.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Guy32 said:
oppp7 said:
I thought 3D died out years ago.
I always lose those glasses...
You clearly haven't been to the movies recently. There has been like 8 movies at the theaters with 3D since Avatar. They aren't the red and blue glasses though, if those are what you're talking about.

OT: I really hope they don't call it The Ring 3D. That's like condemning it to mediocrity.
I WAS talking about the 3D glasses. And I forgot to finish my previous post with "Why is it getting popular again?"

But if it's a new type then I guess it could be good.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I'm really tired of the whole "3D" trend going on.

I just want to watch TV and movies like I always have. Without stupid glasses or eye-strain.

A 2D image on a screen, that's all I want.

EnigmaHarper

Jul 22, 2009
As opposed to 3D as I am, I called this.

When Final Destination was just coming out in 3D, I entered a contest for tickets. The question was "What movie would you most like to see in 3D?"

I said The Ring because when Samara comes out of the TV, she'll be coming out at you!

Totally called it.

I'm a genius.

P.S. I also said Ghostbuster, because the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man is too epic for two demensions.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
oppp7 said:
And I forgot to finish my previous post with "Why is it getting popular again?"
Because of an the coupling of an approximate $5 dollar increase on the ticket price over a regular 2D and the home retail market is only now breaking into offering 3D products means they can fill more seats at a higher cost, which equates to more profits.

I just hope it's actually filmed in 3D, instead of the crappy post-production kind that might be gathering in popularity.

Galu316

Apr 21, 2010
Honestly, I think that if a 3D movie isn't made with the same technology used in Avatar there really isn't any point. I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D and it was so tacked on. I can't even imagine how crappy it would be if they just are using it for extra cash from teeny boppers.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
New 3D is pretty cool. I was very skeptical, but now I like it. And it could work extraordinarily well in, "The Ring". Also, the guy who did the original made a damn fine movie: I didn't mind the second Ring, but it wasn't the same. Makes me think that this project is worth consideration. Now, my concerns are that it's being made teen-centric, and that it has "3D" in the title. That just makes it sound silly and gimmicky, and suspect that that will be something that they will have to fight in order to make a good movie. Im willing to watch it and see.

Also, hopefully, they will declare Ring 2 non-cannon, and follow a plot line closer to that of the original novels. Seriously, the original Samara character makes the Umbrella Corporation look like Team Rocket.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I'm sorry but that girl crawling out of the television set was nightmare fuel enough, I sure as hell don't wanna see it in 3D when she looks like she's crawling out of the cinema screen to come and get me. Hell no.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Meh, I actually quite like 3D if it's used well (Avatar and Coraline), but The Ring was one of the worst remakes I've ever seen (unlike The Grudge, which I controversially felt was better than the original). I never saw the sequel (not that Ring 2 was any good anyway, the book was sooo much better), but I can't imagine I missed much, so why make a third?

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
So...

They had better give Sadako a pair of testicles like in the series of books!

Although it really does sound like a cash in.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
The Ring in 3D? Awesome! Because annoying visual tricks was the one thing missing from those movies. /sarcasm

Sometimes I don't understand why people even bother. Is it money? Inability to get over his own past works? One-trick pony? Anyway, I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it. So disappointed with modern horror movies in general.