Sony Signals the End of the Floppy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Signals the End of the Floppy

It's the end of an era: Sony [http://www.sony.com] has announced that it will be halting Japanese sales of the venerable 3.5" floppy diskette, signaling the end of the once-ubiquitous storage medium.

The 3.5-inch floppy diskette [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_diskette] was a revolution when it debuted in 1981, offering smaller size, greater capacity and far more toughness than its 5.25-inch predecessor. The original double-density diskettes could hold up to 720 kilobytes of data, while the high-density diskettes that followed a few years later were capable of storing a whopping 1.44 megabytes each!

It was heady stuff back in the day but in the current era it's not even enough to hold a single medium-resolution image, and so it is that Sony is finally pulling the plug on the once-great floppy. The company has already discontinued sales to most overseas regions and with 70 percent of the Japanese market under its control, when Sony says it's over, it's over. Sales of Sony diskettes in Japan will come to a close in March 2011.

My own floppy diskette era ended a couple years ago, when I finally moved to a PC that didn't have a 3.5" drive in it. Prior to that I'd insisted on having one strictly as a matter of tradition, although I couldn't even hazard a guess as to the last time I actually used one. Even now when I look at my PC, with its dual-layer DVD drive, various flash memory slots and USB ports, I sometimes feel as though something's missing. I still keep a good hole-punch handy, though; I guess I'm just an old softie at heart.

Source: CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20003360-92.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Wow, they were still making those. I thought computers stopped putting floppy drives on standard like 10 years ago.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I still remember the old floppies. Zipping programs so they'd fit on it, zipping them into two separate files if they didn't fit and then be stuck with a massive problem when they don't want to be joined again afters. Breaking the floppy disc and playing with the three pieces of plastic and the little disc inside. Putting labels on floppies, writing down what is on it and then half a year later have something completely different on it while the label remains unchanged.

Those were the days.

Not to say you can't have fun with CDs or DVDs, they make good frisbees and you always forget about the stuff you burn for storage space within a week or so and redownload the whole thing only to find out you burned it shortly after it finished downloading... But it's just not the same.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
What? They still sell those things? Those are like, older than me!

I remember one time in Junior high when we were doing a group project for the Olympics, one of the group members who was responsible for a part of a powerpoint presentation came in and said that he did his stuff, but the disk wasn't working. We then discovered that there was a hole punched in the disk. Good times.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Wow, they were still making those. I thought computers stopped putting floppy drives on standard like 10 years ago.
lol i was thinking the exact same thing.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
A moment of silence for a great piece of technology...

Moments over! *Pops champagne*

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Say whaaaat? They were still making those? I haven't seen any on sale, let alone used one in about 4 maybe 5 years, possibly longer.

1.44MB - wow...how times have changed.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
A hole punch still has a use though, surely since not all paper comes pre-punched; for instance plain paper used for printing.

The floppy also still has a use, but very small niche which is no longer cost effective. Good old march of progress, although if this continues the level of just pure waste generated from technological advances will be staggering. Most of this stuff doesn't biodegrade and is difficult to recycle in some cases.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Yes they still make 3.5" drives and you can still by the disks. Heck, I still support servers that have 3.5" drives in them.

I am really glad that these things will finally be discontinued. After about 2000 - 2002 there really was no need for them with mass amount of flash based and CD media out there.

R.I.P. Floppy Disk.

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
I'm not sorry to see them go. I don't think we noticed it at the time, but they really only worked about 80% of the time anyway. You had 3 or 4 floppies of important backups because, hey, who knows when it's just gonna fail?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Somkeone...still made them? Someone stll used them!?

Well, it is an end of an Era for sure

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Goodnight, Sweet Prince. Your handy portable storage solution shall be missed, your severe vulnerability to magnetic fields less so.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
My PC still has one. Of course, my PC was bought in 2001, so there you go.

A hole punch? For a 5.25" disk, maybe.

I did see someone try to make a HD hole for a 3.5" disk using an exacto-knife. I don't know that I've ever seen a hole punch get through that plastic shell...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
RIP floppy disks. You probably shant be missed.

Amazing they kept them going all the way to 2010, though

accountdeletethis

Stand-up philosopher
Sep 10, 2008
One always dreaded the thump-te-thump sound which meant the diskette was fubar. Broke one to bits once after I got a CRC error and the projectile went flying all over the place and almost caught me in the eye. Another time, an insane friend of mine brought a rip of a game (can't remember which one it was, though) on 64 diskettes! Oh, the memories...

Heh, I still have the drive in my case to this day. Don't remember the last time I used it, though.

RIP Floppy, you'll be remembered.