Mega Man Explodes Across the Universe

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mega Man Explodes Across the Universe

A new trademark filed by Capcom indicates that the Mega Man series will be spreading to the edges of infinity.

Capcom may have a new Mega Man game in the works that will surprise the blue bomber's faithful fans. As discovered by Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/27/mega-man-universe-sounds-like-capcoms-next-mega-man-project/], the company recently filed a trademark for something called Mega Man Universe.

The trademark, along with a comment made by Capcom's Seth Killian in an interview with Mega Man Star Force [http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-rad-mega-man-surprises-in-store--172079.phtml] game. "It's good," Killian said about a Mega Man work-in-progress. "I don't want to say nobody has seen it coming. Somebody may have seen it coming. But it excited me and when I heard about the project, I was like, 'Holy crap. That's rad.' ... This is still kicking around as a concept. But there are exciting ideas in the Mega Man space."

While whatever Killian's talking about is still "kicking around," it wouldn't be crazy to think that it has something to do with the newly discovered trademark. We all know that when videogame companies put "universe" in the titles of their games, it can mean new online features or straight-up MMOG. Just look at Lego Universe, Phantasy Star Universe, and Universe of StarCra... oh wait, I'm still under NDA on that one. Mega Man has always traveled to various areas while taking on bosses named after elements, animals, weapons, the weather, adjectives, verbs, power tools, and leaders of ancient Egypt, but it was always assumed that he was visiting different parts of the same planet. Perhaps he was traveling across the Mega Man Universe the whole time.

Or, maybe he'll start doing that soon. Killian's comments certainly hint toward something radically different than sending a robot-that-is-more-than-a-robot up against 8 new bosses, and an online game wouldn't be out of the question with the addition of "universe" to the title. Mega Man Universe could somehow follow the formula of the Mega Man Legends games, or be something wildly and amazingly new. If it's a MMOG, the mount is already taken care of too, as players could grind for two months up to level 80 simply to tear around the universe on the back of Rush the robotic dog. Sadly, the trademark could turn out to be absolutely nothing as well, because it's just a trademark and not an announcement. I've got my eye on you though, Capcom.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/27/mega-man-universe-sounds-like-capcoms-next-mega-man-project/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've heard Seth before on Talkradar. You can trust him.

And I liked Battle Network/Star Force. It just ran on waaaaaaaay too long. Star Force is basically Battle Network.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
As much as I know people love the retro-style Megaman games I for one honestly hope it's not another 8-bit game.

Mostly because I always wanted to play the Megaman RPG and never got to
(No comments on whether 'it's shit' or not that's personal opinion and I'd like to have my own through experience, thanks.)

But yeah if it's in the style of the provided picture I'd play it...

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Mega Man pulls a Mario Galaxy?

Usually the first 3 games of new Mega Man franchises tend to be good, so I can honestly say I'm curious what this is going to be.

Archemetis said:
But yeah if it's in the style of the provided picture I'd play it...
You mean Mega Man Legends on the PS1? Man I loved that game. I actually want to play The Misadventures of Tron Bonne now.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
oh I was hoping by the way it started off it was a possible squeal to Megaman Legends since
the last thing you see of him is being stuck on an artifical moon with Roll and Tron working together to build a rocketship to get him back.
though a Megaman MMO to be honest doesn't sound half bad.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
oppp7 said:
Isn't that the first sign a series is dying?
Or at least getting desperate...none the less it seems things may be going way of the Dodo, originality wise

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I can't remember ever reading the word "rad" in the cool meaning before. To be honest, I've never heard it outside The Turtles or teen centric 80's comedy movies. I distrust this man greatly now.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I think that they're going to attempt to change the Megaman series under the premise that Megaman gets upgraded with alien technology.

That would be AWESOME.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Never liked the 8-bit megaman, Battle Network was good though, I actually want more of it, shame it's ended though.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Hmm..you know, I would actually welcome a new Megaman Legends game.

Yes, I am aware that I am one of the few who loved both it and its spin-off, the Misadventures of Tron Bonne. But damn it, I would love to see more of both. Hell, another game where you could rampage around as Tron would be awesome beyond words.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
I wish they did more in the style of Legends, the old fomula is nice but how many times have they used it now? 18+ times now? And the Network/Star Force has been used up too. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for this, but since it's nothing more than ideas at the moment, I can't pass judgement, but hopefully it'll be a new formula, Mega Man has been pretty good at switching the series up with the different iterations. Who knows if it'll be in the Canon universe or another off shoot.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Lucane said:
oh I was hoping by the way it started off it was a possible squeal to Megaman Legends since
the last thing you see of him is being stuck on an artifical moon with Roll and Tron working together to build a rocketship to get him back.
This. This This This THIS THIS.

Megaman Legends (And Megaman Legends 2) were some of my favorite games for the Playstation. Bout damn time the made a sequel. I'd LOVE to have an MMO Version of Megaman Legends. The world itself is pretty much set up to be an MMO: Different continents, airships, pirates, millions of dungeons that can be randomly generated, item crafting, and mini games (Racing, Can-kicking, Pig-growing).

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Korias said:
Lucane said:
This. This This This THIS THIS.

Megaman Legends (And Megaman Legends 2) were some of my favorite games for the Playstation. Bout damn time the made a sequel. I'd LOVE to have an MMO Version of Megaman Legends. The world itself is pretty much set up to be an MMO: Different continents, airships, pirates, millions of dungeons that can be randomly generated, item crafting, and mini games (Racing, Can-kicking, Pig-growing).
Wow I wasn't even thinking about making a Universe out of Legends but yeah that could work! You wouldn't even need to be Megaman you could be a random digger guy/girl who keeps running into him, of course Mega, Roll, Barrel and the Bonnes(Tron, Bon, Teisel, and the servebots) could show up for key story missions but you could pal around with them on certain side ruins or something.

Or you have a singleplayer story as Megaman again and a Co-op mode as the edited diggers with maybe different weapon types like you start with a pistol and upgrade to more tradional guns or get bows or a buster arm and you could maybe upgrade your flutter with paint or parts to get access to certain areas or races. Oh now i wish this was what they were talking about for sure. :(

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
oppp7 said:
Isn't that the first sign a series is dying?
It died with X7 and command mission.....

but crap regurgitated hashings MM needs to be revamped and not as a MMO..... they have the game types to take from DMC,lost planet and bits of soylent commando mechanics with a hud level design and auto adventure(think zelda/dmc)/freehand shooter(think GrOW/Bioshock/Metroid prime/lost planet) gameplay modes(that is your option to play the game anytime you want)...my god...... I NEED THIS!!!!!!!

PS:The first battle network game was great........like most things capcom they ran that mofo hard into the ground......

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
GamerMage said:
Could you please NOT mock the Battle network series? I respect your opinion and everything, but the BN series carries the more fond memories of my childhood. So could you kindly back off?
How is he mocking the BN Series? While I respect the series itself, It [the BN Series] has grown far, far, FAR too long. Spin off after spin off, while OK, make the title material stale. I think after the recent Megaman catastrophes, a new Megaman game that doesn't follow one of the recent formats would be incredibly refreshing.