Beating Bejeweled: The Ultimate in Hardcore Casual

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Beating Bejeweled: The Ultimate in Hardcore Casual

A California steel contractor has redefined what it means to be a hardcore gamer by becoming the first man on the face of the planet to "beat" Bejeweled 2 [http://www.bejeweled.com], posting a score of over 2.147 billion - yes, billion - points.

"Bejeweled" and "hardcore" are two words that aren't often associated with one another. Then again, there aren't many Bejeweled players like 256th level [http://www.bejeweled.com/fan03.php] and "beat" the game.

"The highest score the game is capable of calculating is 2,147,483,647; that's 2 to the 31st power minus 1," explained PopCap co-founder Brian Fiete. "We had to give the game some sort of maximum displayable score, and figured that was high enough, no one would ever get that many points." And like the famous last level in Pac-Man, if someone does somehow manage to rack up that many points, the game essentially breaks: The score "flips around" to a negative number, causing a blank space to be displayed where the point total should be.

On March 23 of last year, Leyde became the first person to beat the unbeatable score, having sunk more than 2200 hours into the game - that's the equivalent of three solid months of playing, without pause for sleeping or eating. A few other impressive statistics: He reached level 439, collected 4,872,229 gems and made 48,519 power gems and 18,190 hyper cubes.

Why? The man clearly likes his Bejeweled, but there's more to it than that. "The game caught my interest and as I started playing I found myself trying to better my score every time I played," Leyde said. "I'd generally play the game for an hour or two per day, sometimes longer, depending on what my schedule would allow."

Perhaps most important, he sounds as though he never doubted he'd reach the end. "I figured this was a marathon, not a sprint; no sense trying to finish the game in a single setting, and since I didn't know what the maximum score might be, I figured I'd better pace myself," he added. "If you're going to invest time in something, you might as well be as good at it as you possibly can, and I really enjoy the thrill of victory - like when I won my first stock car race or when I bowled a perfect 300 game."

Now that's hardcore.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That...is...wow. I have to say he is something of a legend with a scoe like that!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Good work, Mike!
Now go look for a girlfriend/Boyfriend
(a bit OTT, if you ask me)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
NICE. It's good to see people working hard to accomplish something and getting recognized for it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Oh Popcap. The masters of casual gaming. While still making their games have a lot of core appeal, with stuff like Peggle and Plants Vs Zombies.

How do they do it?

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Now That defiantly is hardcore!
Well done to him, that would have required a lot of dedication
*Applause*

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Compared to the typical mainstream, upmarket gamer, this guy is really hardcore.

I am reminded of back when the term meant something other than consumer self-identification.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I bet he was so depressed when he was sent that cute little video that popcap made for him.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
This man has beaten the maximum number in 32 bit programming. I think he deserves an Internet for this achievement.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
oppp7 said:
NICE. It's good to see people working hard to accomplish something and getting recognized for it.
^This. I heartily raise a glass of E-Beer to toast this man.