District 9 Sequel to Deliver the Unexpected in Two Years

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
District 9 Sequel to Deliver the Unexpected in Two Years

A sequel to sci-fi movie District 9 is in the cards and it should be as unique as the original.

District 9 [http://www.amazon.com/District-9-Blu-ray-Sharlto-Copley/dp/B002SJIO5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278525830&sr=1-1] was an unexpected hit in the movie theaters of 2009, and according to its creators a sequel is happening and will not be anything predictable. While not officially confirmed or even in the works yet, the right people are pushing for District 9-2 (my unofficial name).

Speaking to Empire [http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=27715], District 9 star Sharlto Copley said: "[Director Neil Blomkamp] wants it and I want it. Neil's doing another film first. Then I think if everything goes according to plan we'll do the second film in about two years time."

But don't expect the second film to be typical. Avoiding spoilers as much as possible, an obvious storyline would be to have aliens return to Earth and to kick the dookie out of humanity for its impoliteness in the first movie. However, according to Copely: "That story can go in so many different ways. There's a whole universe. I'm sure a lot of writers say that, but we actually have an entire universe."

And, there are more possibilities for new stories from the District 9 universe than just sequels. "Neil's actually very interested in prequels as well; he's said that a few times. We wouldn't do the traditional Hollywood version of the sequel which would just be 100 aliens fighting humans," Copley revealed.

District 9 was easily one of the biggest surprises of 2009, presenting a new take on what an alien "invasion" would actually be like. It even partially reflected Stephen Hawking's recent view [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100232-Hawking-Warns-Humanity-to-Avoid-Dangerous-Aliens] on the reality of an alien species, even though District 9's wasn't exactly powerful enough to take on the human race. With a bona fide success under their belts, Blomkamp and Copley should have warrant to make a really cool second movie too.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire [http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=27715]

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I hope they stay with the original concept, not that it takes place in the future and humanity has to struggle against a 'civil uprising' of these things.

Yeah, I need to see the first one first. Waiting for DVD's takes long...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I was a big fan of District 9 and think there is room for an intelligent sequel. I want to see how well he plays Murdoch in the new A-Team film.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Awesome; if they can make one as good as the first, that would be sweet. D9 is one of my favorite films.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I enjoyed the film alot, and, if they can keep it fresh I am sure I will enjoy the second feature!

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Considering how unique District 9 was, I'm sure the sequel will be equally awesome. Too bad there is years of waiting to be done before it shows up... I love the South-African dialect to english =3.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
oh hell yeah. The first one left me wanting more...specially cuz it didn't tie of the plot...at all

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
D9 was freaking fantastic. For them to return with a shit-ton of possibilities just makes me excited as all Hell. There's still the entire Prawn side of the story to see yet, and that's a story I would fucking love to see.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sweet, I really enjoyed District 9.

But GOD DAMNIT my friend always says that "Oh! It slightly teased you at the end! THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUAL!@#%!@" and he's right in this case.

Not EVERYTHING needs a friggin' sequal!

Whatever, still pretty cool, District 9 was awesome, wouldn't mind a "District 9b" or "District 10" or whatever.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
And to think, Blomkamp was rejected from the Halo movie for being inexperienced.

I look forward to many more District 9 titles while Halo continues to drift away in limbo.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I'm on opposite feelings. District 9 was a good movie, and a sequel is more than expected, but I don't think it would be a great idea. It was a good movie, and the idea of a sequel just seems so wrong on so many levels, considering the history the movie gives is enough. If we are going to start exploring the Prawns home planet, I see nothing creative coming out of it.

The only way any idea of a sequel will work is if the writing is doubly better than the original (not that the first one wasn't written well) and Blomkamp pulls a Mos Eisley Cantina scene on us (I.e. - Show us more species and stuff, things that would make George Lucas jealous that he didn't get them in his Star Wars Re-releases).

Otherwise, I really won't hold my breath for it.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
That sounds like an interesting idea...
I really enjoyed District 9, and it was probably my favourite film of 2009, but I'm not sure how a sequel would work, though I'm sure they could work something out that makes sense.

I'll keep an eye out for this, because it looks pretty interesting, though I can see it possibly heading the wrong way early on, so I'll keep tabs on it.

@Tom Goldman: You still haven't given me those pictures of the nintendo chairs from GDC...

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Aren't they calling the sequel "District 10"?

I really enjoyed D9, thought it was a great sci-fi film and possibly my favourite film of 2009.

Not sure if they can capture the same feeling the second time around, but I'll definitely be going to see it.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
How did noone see this coming? The first one ended on an obvious sequel hook or two. Hang on.

Christopher Johnson said that he would return in three years, a reasonable time for a sequel to be produced and lo and behold it has, and with reinforcements. Boom, you have your setup.

The new alien residence is called "District 10", so boom, you have your title.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lemon Of Life said:
Nice, District 9 was fantastic. I need to watch it again.
same. :) might watch it now.

SamuelT said:
I hope they stay with the original concept, not that it takes place in the future and humanity has to struggle against a 'civil uprising' of these things.

Yeah, I need to see the first one first. Waiting for DVD's takes long...
it hasnt come out on dvd? came out on Blu-ray awhile ago.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
I just hope District 9 doesn't go the way of the First Blood franchise (AKA Rambo) and become a brainless actioner after the release of it's second movie.