Six Days in Fallujah Could Be First In a Series

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Six Days in Fallujah Could Be First In a Series

Atomic Games boss Peter Tamte has said that the studio could make more games focusing on the stories of soldiers taking part in other conflicts around the world.

Almost a year ago completed and ready for release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91256-Update-Konami-Backs-Out-of-Fallujah] as soon as the studio could find a publisher.

Speaking with IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/News/22323/six-days-in-fallujah-could-be-first-in-series-], Atomic president Peter Tamte said that the controversy around the title had at least one positive impact - it brought the game to the attention of people in various armed forces around the world, who contacted the studio in turn.

"[T]here are stories from across the world, and we got involved with Six Days in Fallujah because of our relationship with specific marines who served in that particular engagement," said Tamte. "As a result of Six Days in Fallujah, we actually have been contacted by people from across the world and other services and there are certainly other stories that are begging to be told."

It's an interesting proposition, to be sure. During Tamte's keynote at last year's Triangle Game Conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/tgc_2009/6020-TGC-2009-Peter-Tamte-Keynote], he said that the studio had initially been approached by Marines who wanted to tell their stories through the media with the deepest role in their lives - videogames. Why wouldn't there be many more men and women in different branches of the military - or even fighting under entirely different flags - who felt the same way?

If Fallujah ever does come out, and I hope it will - and if it's a good game - would you like to see more like it?

Nov 7, 2009
I'd like to see more games set in smaller conflicts, definitely. I know mah buddy Furburt would be all over a game about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Hell, he'd probably write it.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
I honestly can't wait for this,I hope it will be good,so it can kill mw2 *throws another dagger at a mw2 picture on wall*

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Looks good, but as Furburt said, I don't understand how it's so controversial, since it was made with the consent and assistance of those involved.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
Furburt said:
It looks interesting, certainly, but looking at the early videos, I was quite underwhelmed. Far from being a realistic war shooter, it looked more like Freedom Fighters with a liberal dose of Gears Of War. However, it's entirely possible that all that is dealt with and it could turn out to be a good game.

The whole controversy about it is bizarre though. How can it possibly be disrespectful if it was designed with the consent and assistance of marines who partook in the battle? I don't understand it. Surely, by that logic, every war game ever made is disrespectful too?
Its a battle thats fairly recent compared to other battles. Modern Video games have fictional battles. There are still people in the military today who fought at Fallujah.

I have no problems with it, but, some people think its still too soon.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I never got the controversy, but I know I'd probably buy it.
Furburt said:
The whole controversy about it is bizarre though. How can it possibly be disrespectful if it was designed with the consent and assistance of marines who partook in the battle? I don't understand it. Surely, by that logic, every war game ever made is disrespectful too?
I think it was concerns over it being "Too realistic" or some bullshit like that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Why is it controversial?

If it was a documentary there'd be no problem. Here's a hint game-haters: not all games are about scoring the most kills and getting the most points!

If this report is anything to go by, plenty of soldiers agree with the idea.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
I'd imagine that not every single marine that fought in Fallujah took part in the development of this game, so saying it was done 'with their consent' is somewhat one-sided.

None the less, I would still play it provided it was done respectfully to both sides.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its nice to see people are willing to branch out to other conflicts in the world...now only if it wasnt so USA-Centric...you got alot of other conflicts which can be explored

May 28, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Looks good, but as Furburt said, I don't understand how it's so controversial, since it was made with the consent and assistance of those involved.
"We do not talk about the war!"

I was very excited about the concept, especially if it showed how emotionally destructive the war could be, rather than, "Hehe, we've got guns, let's shoot some foreign people!"

dehawaiiansupaman

Jan 2, 2008
I really do hope this turns out okay and they do proceed with more games based on experiences of military forces (not just US since they do mention that they were approached by people worldwide). It sounds like a very interesting idea.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I was actually looking forward to this game, hopefully they can reboot it...

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I know a ex-ranger who went through the hell in Mogadishu when we were pulling out. I think based on his stories that could make for a compelling game. Especially considering the present day fallout of the lawlessness in Somalia.

A game based on the crazy Six Day war between Isreal and basically the entire arab world might be interesting if just for how frantic it could be. An entire war wrapped up in the same time frame as the previous Fallujah game. It would be a lot more controvercial than even Six Day's, though.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
wouldnt it be crazy if people made a survival horror game like this. the horror would all be psychological but it would be intense and an eye opener for alot of younger people I know who are planning on joining the armed services

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I thought this was a great idea. Taking a battle hardly anyone knows about and showing it from the perspective of those who fought there to not only raise awareness of the battle but to give people back home an idea about what war is really like. Movie do this all the time.

But it's a video game, no no, bad Atomic Games, very bad boy.

The fact Atomic still made the game without a publisher shows the committment they feel to the soldiers that fought and died there. So you know what? I will deffinately buy this game if only because of that.

I salute you Atomic.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah if tis a good game i don't see why there shouldn't be a sequal but the studio is billing it as a survival horror/action game and that doesn't strike a happy note when something is going for realism.

Furburt said:
Oh hells yeah. That game being released would be a dream for me, it's probably the part of recent history I'm most interested in. Of course, you'd have to be able to play as all sides, or there'd be uproar, but get past that, and it's fertile ground for a tense tactical shooter. Hell, maybe add some RTS elements.
I believe counter-strike tried this with horrible failure.