Apocalyptic Western Dark Tower Gunslings to TV, Movies

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Apocalyptic Western Dark Tower Gunslings to TV, Movies

Stephen King's epic fantasy/sci-fi/western The Dark Tower [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Boxed-Set-Books/dp/0451211243/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278524345&sr=1-1] will likely be putting holes through movie and television screens in the near future.

A deal is being finalized that will bring Stephen King's The Dark Tower to both big and little screens. As reported by Lost [http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/stephen-kings-dark-tower-set-for-film-trilogy-tv-series-by-beautiful-mind-trio/] - J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse - was once working on a translation of The Dark Tower, but couldn't seal the deal.

The Dark Tower is a seven-book series, with an eighth on the way, released by King from the early 80s through to the mid-2000s. It focuses on gunslinger Roland Deschain as he basically tries to battle an insurmountable evil and save his post-apocalyptic world by making a trek to the mysterious and mystical Dark Tower, where the spider-like Crimson King resides. The story has the strong feel of a western, but also incorporates elements of magic and sci-fi and takes place in a wasteland that could be a future Earth (if magic existed) with abandoned oil fields and rusty tanks left over from a previous civilization. The sci-fi and magic comes in with the giant laser weaponry and psychic mentally challenged children.

Some would say The Dark Tower is King's answer to J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings, but with a dark/horror feel as would be expected from the author. It's most recently been in geek consciousness due to the awesome comic prequel books being put out by Marvel. If books aren't your thing, but books with pictures are, get your hands on the first Dark Tower graphic novel collection and give the series a try. It's sadly a post-apocalyptic world without zombies, but don't worry, there are plenty of mutants. Hopefully, any possible movie trilogy or television series will remember the face of its father.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/stephen-kings-dark-tower-set-for-film-trilogy-tv-series-by-beautiful-mind-trio/]

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
YAY for the first four books.
BOO for the last three.

Though I imagine the finale to be changed, since the ending to the book series was absolutely horrible.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
About damn time. I love this series, Now they just have to do a good job.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
dradiscontact said:
This means I'm going to need to actually finish the books I guess.
Don't. It's only going to depress you. It's really really bad, especially the last book.
When Stephen King made himself a character in the book I should've known he jumped the shark.

DarthLurtz

Jun 8, 2009
Can't wait. Also, the end of the books was not good for a reason. It showed the there was an endless cycle for Roland, with only a small hope of his quest ever changing for the better.

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
This means I'm going to need to actually finish the books I guess.
Don't. It's only going to depress you. It's really really bad, especially the last book.
When Stephen King made himself a character in the book I should've known he jumped the shark.
I might still like it. I've always liked Stephen King's work. I only made it to the end of the third Dark Tower book before I got distracted by something else (probably some video game), but I remember liking it up to that point.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Totally saw this one coming. Could make for a killer mini-series.
No movie could do the epic nature of it justice, tho.
Balls ending to the whole deal, but definitely a unique premise for something sorta fantasy-ish...

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Terrible books, terrible writer, certainly a terrible combination.

Did the Dark Tower series have the worst ending for anything ever, or did the Dark Tower series have the worst ending for anything ever?

diablomaki

Jul 17, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Holy shit, there's an eighth?!
so someone else actually read this too!! i love the books!! the comics dont even cover enough of the story, but they are good as well! book 8 could be a weird copout for people who didnt understand the journey though. but its still King and i will always read his books no matter how "meh" they become, just because some are amazing.
ABOUT TIME THIS BECAME A MOVIE!
just dont make it flaky like Desperation
make it pwn like Rita Hayworth or maybe Misery
bring it hardcore "i feel like im reading the book again" style
SSDD

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
...The Dark Tower is a seven-book series, with an eighth on the way, released by King from the early 80s through to the mid-2000s. It...
W-w-what? Awesome!

I'm not really interested in the movie though, as I highly doubt it would really work, but who knows?

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
DarthLurtz said:
Can't wait. Also, the end of the books was not good for a reason. It showed the there was an endless cycle for Roland, with only a small hope of his quest ever changing for the better.
Yes! Someone else understands! I thought the ending was brilliant. Makes you wonder how things had played out before we got pulled into this pass through .

Dec 14, 2009
Ponch said:
DarthLurtz said:
Yes! Someone else understands! I thought the ending was brilliant. Makes you wonder how things had played out before we got pulled into this pass through .
Yeah I thought that too.

"Sorry Roland... you... er, forgot your hat, yeah that's right! Back to the start!"

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
I was iffy about the ending, but saw it as some higher power *Ahem* King *Ahem* trying to redeem himself to his character. The never ending cycle has been used in many stories and a few animes/magnas such as Wolfs Rain, Mighty Max to name another, and Nordic myths to go further.)

OT: While I look with skepticism on how this will all play out, i'll at least give it a chance.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Mixed feelings. If HBO was doing it I'd be more psyched.

Loved the books, up to the end and got me wondering how many times Roland had to go through all that.